Freezing Cakes???

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 2:06am by lmn4881

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I just made several cakes for the farmers market and didn't sell them all. They aren't torted and they are iced with buttercream icing. Can I put them in the freezer and save them for next week? If so how would I wrap them? Saran Wrap... Tin Foil? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to cake decorating and just trying to get the hang of things. Otherwise I have 7 cakes to eat this week...omg... and then I have to bake all new ones again for next week. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 8

Yes you can freezed them. What I do is put the cakes in the freezer and let the icing firm up really well. Then I wrap really well with tinfoil. When you take them out to unthaw, immediatly take off the tinfoil and let thaw on the counter, it does not take long at all.

tammik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammik Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 8

I purchased a few of those plastic storage boxes that stores sell their cakes in and have had a customer freeze hers in that for a week. She said it was fabulous.
I also think that you can wrap the cake in wax paper then saran wrap and freeze it like that too. I haven't done it myself but I know someone that has done that before. Give it a try. What do you have to lose?

lmn4881 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 8

How do I wrap the cake without ruining the decorations?

lmn4881 Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:11am
post #5 of 8

Need some help so I'm gonna give myself a bump. Can I freeze ti for a week in a cardboard box?

mug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mug Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:17am
post #6 of 8

I would worry about ruining the decorations as well. I'd put it in a cardboard box and wrap the cardboard box in saran wrap or foil.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:40am
post #7 of 8

To keep from ruining the decorations it is best to first put the cakes in the freezer to let them firm up as patton78 mentioned.

Someone posted on another thread that you can put Press 'N' Seal around the box to seal it. I haven't tried it but it sounds reasonable.

You can also put Saran Wrap over it after it has firmed in the freezer first, and then cover it with foil making sure that it is sealed and that no air can get to it. Others say to take it one step further and also put a garbage bag around them.

Just be sure that you completely remove all the coverings from the cakes when you set them out to thaw. Just let them thaw in the open air. When they thaw, condensation builds on them like dew. If they air dry they will be fine. If they are covered then they will sweat and your colors will run and anything touching it will stick to it.

I hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

lmn4881 Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for all your help. I'll try it and let you all know how it worked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%