Freezing Cakes...a Little Sticky??

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 12:50am by linzcakes

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 5

I have been freezing cakes for a little while now. Recently I have noticed when I unwrap them they seem a little sticky. I wouldnt say the whole cake is soggy or anything, I am not sure if I am doing anything different from before or if I just never noticed this before. I wrap them in saran and then in foil. I let them completely defrost that way. I might have unwrapped the foil a little bit before (this time I know I kept it completely wrapped) ...am I doing anything wrong, or is this normal?

4 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

I noticed the same thing the last time I froze my cake. I thought it was just from the humidity in the air, even though it was still wrapped.

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 5

My last one was like that too. Once I completely unwrapped it and realized that it was sticky, I let the cake sit out in the air for awhile before I iced it....this seemed to "dry" up the stickiness and it was fine when I finally iced that cake.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 12:43am
post #4 of 5

Maybe it is the humidity. It is just that I didnt notice it so much before, and I cant think of much that i really did differently. We will see when the humidity decreases I guess!

linzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linzcakes Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 12:50am
post #5 of 5

icon_smile.gif when i freeze my cakes, i wrap them in wax parer then foil. and unwrap as soon as it comes out of the freezer. the cake is firm enough to not break or get sticky. hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%