Opinion On A Cake Idea

Decorating By charman Updated 22 Jun 2005 , 6:26pm by charman

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 13

still struggling over what to do for this 50th wedding anniversary cake I have to do this weekend.

Here are my ideas...which would you do if you were doing it?

1. 3 tiers (8, 10, and 14) with gold ribbon around the bottom of each tier, and white royal icing roses all the way around the ribbon (in front of the ribbon) with gold foil leaves and swiss dots up the side.

2. Above tiers with gold ribbon around the bottom and on top of each tier a cluster of white bc or royal icing roses with gold foil leaves, and swiss dots on the sides.

3. Above tiers with gold ribbon around middle of each tier, and roses around the bottom or clustered only on the top with gold foil leaves...no swiss dots.

Any advise...first one I have ever done, and I want it look nice, not tacky. I've looked at all of the pictures in the gallery. My concern with doing all the roses around the ribbon would be they have to take off all of the roses, then the ribbon before they even cut it, but I guess that is pretty typical. Any help?

12 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 13

I'd opt for #2... I think with the roses on top of each tier, you'd see the gold ribbon at the bottom better and it wouldn't take away from the presentation of the ribbon.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 13

Well, they all sound very nice...
I think you should do which ever one you would like...
#2 does sound the nicest but seems like the most work....
It's you decission as you are the one doing the work.
Happy decorating,
cakegal

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 13

I like #2 also. Question, are these tiers going to be separated with columns or stacked on top of each other? Maybe stack the 14 & 10" layers and put the 8" on columns. Roses on top of the 10" and the number 50 with smaller roses on top of the 8"? Just a thought, it sounds like it will be gorgeous no matter which one you go with! Don't forget to post pics!!!

charman Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 13

Was planning columns between the 14 and 10 and 8...not too trusting yet to do a stacked cake...maybe next time...if I survive this time.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 13

Choice #2 sounds the best, but try the stacked...it's pretty easy really. Just make sure you have either wooden or plastic dowels under the layers. You can do it! Because you still have to use the dowels under the separator plates, go for it!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 13

I think all of your ideas sound great! When I was planning my in-laws 50th I had wanted to do a cake like their wedding cake but I couldn't see it very clear in any of the pictures that I had and as it was a surprise I couldn't ask her for a picture. Ended up uses a dummy cake and put a picture of them at their wedding when they were cutting the cake. Turned out cute just not what I had wanted. Anyway.... good luck and I'm sure whichever one you choose will be great!

Charlotte

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 13

I think #2 sounds really pretty. I think the cake would look good stacked and I know you could do it! Also, you could use silk flowers and that would save you some time. I am sure whatever you decide the cake will be gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif
traci

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 13

Did you look at my 50th wedding anniversery cake in my photos? I didn't know what I was going to do until I put it together! Stacked the bottom two layers and pillared the top layer. Wrapped cake drums with one type of ribbon and the cake with another type ~ both gold and then went with fondant ribbon roses and filler flowers with gold leaves and dragees for the filler flower centers. They were easy to make and the family loved the cake! I didn't have to deliver the cake because I dowed the bottom stacked layers and had the pillars in place - all they had to do was set the top tier on when they got it home. It was easy and I was quite happy with how it turned out.

Debbie

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 13

I like #1 and #2.... but it sounds like 2 had the vote right now... so I will say 2 also.

charman Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 13

I like the idea of 1 myself, but it just seems like a ton of work to just have the cake cutter pull off all of the roses, and then the ribbon to ever be able to cut the cake. Hence why I wanted all of your opinions...I want to do a really good job, and it is hard because I work full-time at a real job (not that cake decorating isn't a real job, but I must say the real job pays much better)...so timing of everything is an issue as well. I like the idea of doing air-dryed buttercream roses, but know that I can turn out the royal roses (because I have practiced them more).

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 13

Ok... maybe this is a stupid question... but is there a reason you are doing the 8" on the top instead of the 6"? I like to keep my sizes uniform... like 14, 10, 6, or 12, 9, 6, or 6, 8, 10....ect. I know other people don't do it this way.... I'm just weird about symmetry.

I think # 2 sounds good. Best of luck with your cake and don't be afraid of stacking... It's not as hard as it seems!

charman Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 13

Reason is more for amount of servings really...Lady at the local craft store where I buy my cake supplies, etc. said this would be fine. I figured 6 inch would look too small up on top next to a 10 inch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%