Wafers Or Real Stuff..which Is Better?

Sugar Work By Synfuldelite Updated 5 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm by TooMuchCake

Synfuldelite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Synfuldelite Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 3

I have seen the discussion here that you should use the Good stuff over wafers. I myself have always used wafers. I use to use Wilton but changed to Candymaker make & mold wafers just because a store opened closer to me and that is what they carry <no difference in taste or texture. Well i tried an experiment with different types of chocolate and even snuck in a Hersey bar. My wafers won.....my test rats icon_biggrin.gif said the wafers were smoother and lighter taste. I dont add any shortning or anything. If I want a softer shell I just take them out of freezer around 15 minutes before serving. So i was just wondering those who use other chocoate.....why? Maybe I am missing something?

2 replies
angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 3

It's just a matter of preference. Taste and ease to work with are the big factors. Personally....I can't stand using Wilton, and find that my local Cake and Candy supply store has better options that I enjoy using.

In the end...use what works well and what your customers enjoy. It's not always the most expensive option. icon_smile.gif

Angie

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 3

Real chocolates must be tempered, which is something that takes a little practice to get right. Candy melts are not "real" chocolate because the cocoa butter has been removed and replaced with more stable fats, making them easier to work with. Although I'm an experienced chocolatier, I still use candy melts for most things at home, like quick treats or chocolate transfers. But you can't beat a real French chocolate for those special occasions!

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%