tazneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazneen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 9

What am I doing wrong.
I use
1 stick crisco
1 bag powdered sugar
and 1/2 cup of water
While I am putting it on the cake it is smooth, then it because hard and lumpy.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

8 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 9

Seems like that might be a crusting buttercream. This kind of icing will "crust over" slightly, after it's been sitting about 10-15 minutes.

Some decorators like this effect, because they can use the VIVA method to smooth it out--or they can paint lustre dust, etc. on the cake. thumbs_up.gif

If you prefer your icing NOT to crust, there's a recipe for that here on CC in the recipe section, under "non-crusting buttercream."

HTH,
--Knox--

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 9

I use the Wilton recipe for buttercream - because it's easy and people prefer it. It is half butter, half Crisco and a little milk. The consistency is wonderful!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 9

When you say bag do you mean 1 or 2 pounds of sugar? Hmmm I am not familiar with that recipe. seems like maybe a lot of water, but maybe that gives you a thin consistency. I am not sure. Maybe you ought to try a different recipe and see.

The one I use is :
1 cup crisco
1 cup butter, softened (I like salted, but you can use unsalted)
about 3 tsp of flavoring (usually I use 1 1/2 vanilla and 1 1/2tsp almond, but use what you like...I just tried adding some lemon extract and reducing the almond today...its yummy)
2 pound bag sugar (I usually add an additional cup sugar as the icing is a little soft if you want stiff)
4 TB of heavy cream (you can use milk or water)
I then thin with water/corn syrup, but you can thin with milk or cream if you want.

It always comes out nice. It is a rich buttercream with the heavy cream and butter, but very good. There are a lot of recipes you could try on here.

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 9

I think your recipe is not ok, you are using just 1 stick of shortening for a hole bag of sugar.
Use thin icing to frost your cake.

Use this recipe: (yields : 6 cups of icing)

2 stick of crisco (2 cup)
2 pound of confectioners sugar (1 domino's sugar bag)
1 teaspoon of vanilla flavor
1 teaspoon of butter flavor
1 tablespoon of merengue powder
1 pinch of salt
4-8 tablespoons of water or milk( the amount of water will make your icing stiff or thin)

STIFF ICING: 4 tablespoons of water (use it to pipe flowers)
MEDIUM ICING: 6 Tablespoons of water ( use it to pipe borders, stars, etc)
THIN ICING: 8 Tablespoons of water (use it to ice the cake)

You can substitute half of the shortening for butter or cream cheese

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 9

Oh I meant to say that that recipe gives you about 6-7 cups of icing. you can halve it if you want.

gypsycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypsycake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 9

I started by using the Wilton icing but I did not like the shortening taste of it much. But that is just my personal taste.

Check the www.earlenescakes.com and she is got a really good cream cheese buttercream icing or I was reading earlier today in backing911 about a butter cream icing, here it goes:
2 sticks crisco, 1 stick butter, 1/4 or 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and 2 lbs powder sugar and vanilla flavor. I hope this helps!

tazneen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazneen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much! Have anyone used karo syrup in their icing?
Someone told me I should do that, but I have not.
But anywhoo, thank you so much. !!! thumbs_up.gif

gypsycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gypsycake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 9

I have never heard of that but there is a lot of recipes out here though and variations of it too. www.sugarcraft1.com also has good icing recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%