Red Velvet Box Cake Mix

Decorating By CakesbyJam Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm by FrostinGal

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 38

Am making a red velvet DH cake....before when I have made this, it tastes very plain. What can I do to make it more chocolate or have more flavor?

37 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 38

a quick and simple way would be to add a box of chocolate pudding mix to it. It'll make it more chocolatey (won't change the color, have added it to white cakes with no problem) and moist! thumbs_up.gif

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:40am
post #3 of 38

Do you have to add more oil or water?

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 38

no, you don't have to add more water. But PLEASE add milk or even better, buttermilk instead of water. Buttermilk makes a big difference in this cake. I use it for RV cake mix all the time and it really is so much better!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:56am
post #5 of 38

Along with buttermilk, I also add Butavan to improve the taste.

When I add a box of pudding to a boxed mix, I always add an extra egg.

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:07am
post #6 of 38

ok...so now I'm confused icon_sad.gif ...can you tell me what the recipe would be?
I have Butavan ( am never sure how much to add or what mixes to put it in!!!)

Tiffysma Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:25am
post #7 of 38

Use the measurements on the box for the oil and instead of water, use the same amount of buttermilk. Add 1 extra egg (if it calls for 3 eggs, use 4), add 1 box instant chocolate pudding. I don't use butavan, I use vanilla, but whatever amount you normally use in a cake, use that.

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:35am
post #8 of 38

Tiffysma...thanks!

miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:01am
post #9 of 38

I use about 1.5 teaspoons Butavan per box mix. Are you using the Mary Kay icing for filling? It is yummy!

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:27am
post #10 of 38

Mary Kay icing???

miriel Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #11 of 38

It's the icing with cooked flour and milk. Here's the link to the recipe from CC: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2259-Sarahs-Red-Velvet-Cake---a-tradition-of-excellence.html

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:46am
post #12 of 38

thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:56am
post #13 of 38

"I use Duncan Hines Red Velvet and make it using 1 box of white chocolate (or milk chocolate) instant pudding mix, 4 large eggs, 1 c. buttermilk, 1/3 cup of oil. It gets rave reviews--very moist-- and it's a beautiful shade of red when cut."

This is instructions I received from blakescakes and it is very yummy. I prefer the white chocolate pudding. The milk chocolate makes it a little dark.

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:15am
post #14 of 38

thanks I needed this info as well... I never would have thought to add instant chocolate pudding to a red velvet cake.

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #15 of 38

ok..one more question..what size box of instant pudding????

Tiffysma Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

"I use Duncan Hines Red Velvet and make it using 1 box of white chocolate (or milk chocolate) instant pudding mix, 4 large eggs, 1 c. buttermilk, 1/3 cup of oil. It gets rave reviews--very moist-- and it's a beautiful shade of red when cut."

This is instructions I received from blakescakes and it is very yummy. I prefer the white chocolate pudding. The milk chocolate makes it a little dark.

I too prefer the white chocolate or cheesecake pudding to keep the color a nice red.

It's small size instant pudding. I actually only use 1/2 box in mine, but most people use the whole box.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #17 of 38

I use the small box. I made a RV cake for my daughter's teacher for teacher appreciation (her favorite cake) and her mother sent me a thank you card stating how good and moist it was. Her mother was my 2nd grade teacher. icon_lol.gif Funny how things come full circle.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 38

I didn't like the DH red velvet mix at all. I used the extender recipe with it, but it had little taste. Tasted more like a chocolate cake. It was a dark red not bright red. I tried Paula Deen's recipe for Red velvet cupcakes and these Cupcakes were to die for!! This is how Red velvet is suppose to taste. The recipe was very easy to make and I'll be using this recipe from now on.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 38

Is it a good general rule of thumb that a box of pudding mix is a good bet to make a cake more moist? I bake from scratch but sometimes I think more moisture would be good. So is it good to us the pudding mix with only box cakes or can I use them in my scratch cakes as well? Kind of off topic but I knew you guys could give me a good answer. Thanks!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGibson

Is it a good general rule of thumb that a box of pudding mix is a good bet to make a cake more moist? I bake from scratch but sometimes I think more moisture would be good. So is it good to us the pudding mix with only box cakes or can I use them in my scratch cakes as well? Kind of off topic but I knew you guys could give me a good answer. Thanks!

I've used pudding in my scratch cakes, they've turned out just fine...and moist!!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 38

Here's how I make Red Velvet with DH:
1 cake mix
4 eggs
1 cup water
1 packet of Dream Whip
add all ingredients together and mix on low to blend. Mix at medium speed for at least 4-5 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (or whatever pan size dictates).

I use this recipe for all box cake mixes and have never had anything but good reviews. Cakes come out very moist and for added flavor you could add 1-2 tsp creme bouquet if you like.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:11pm
post #22 of 38

I used the small box.

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 38

Ya'll are freaking me out now. I just went and bought a DH Red Velvet cake mix and don't have chocolate pudding on hand...... would French Vanilla instant pudding work?? I've never had Red Velvet cake, so I don't really know what sort of taste I'm looking for. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:39pm
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

I didn't like the DH red velvet mix at all. I used the extender recipe with it, but it had little taste. Tasted more like a chocolate cake. It was a dark red not bright red. I tried Paula Deen's recipe for Red velvet cupcakes and these Cupcakes were to die for!! This is how Red velvet is suppose to taste. The recipe was very easy to make and I'll be using this recipe from now on.

I found the DH RV mix to be disgusting!! I just use Sarah's Red Velvet recipe, which bakes flawlessly and is pretty good, but I'd love to try Paula's recipe. Where did you find it?

Thanks!
Sherri

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:53pm
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I found the DH RV mix to be disgusting!!

here, here! I absolutely hate the taste! I don't know if I've ever had a real RV cake 'cause everything I've ever tasted is gross! I've made this cake before with the chocolate pudding and it was still nasty to me. And I happen to love chocolate cake (if that's the taste I'm supposed to be looking for with RV). So maybe I should try Paula's recipe 'cause if I don't like it, why in the world would someone else.
mjs4492, when I took Wilton classes, that's the recipe they gave us, 1 with butter and 1 with oil. RAVES! But I still don't like the RV icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 9:58pm
post #26 of 38

I make DH RV all the time...straight out of the box, just as the box calls for, no doctoring it up...and I love it...so do my kids, husband, and family. It's really moist and tastey in my opinion. To each his own...

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 10:03pm
post #27 of 38

Sherri, I found Paula Deen's recipe by going to Foodnetwork.com and typing in "Red velvet cupcakes" Sorry I don't know how to attach it. They are really great cupcakes.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 10:27pm
post #28 of 38

Here's Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cake recipe that I got from FoodNetwork website:

Cake:
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar

Icing:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup melted marshmallows
1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.

Icing:
Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add marshmallows and sugar and blend. Fold in coconut and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_30653,00.html

CakesbyJam Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #29 of 38

ok CC'rs......This is the recipe I made for RV..and I made cupcakes instead of a cake...AND THEY ARE DELISH!!!!!!

DH RV
4 eggs
1 1/4 c buttermilk
white choc. instant pudding
1/3 c oil
1 1/2 t Butavan

Thanks to all who offered their ideas thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #30 of 38

What is butavan? A flavoring?

Quote by @%username% on %date%