Ever Shipped A Cake?

Decorating By bmote1 Updated 25 Aug 2006 , 8:57pm by pilesoflaundry

bmote1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmote1 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 3

Hi girls,
I have now had so many phonecalls from all over the states for my Noahs Ark cake and yesterday it was a girl from Florida I had to disappoint!

I'm wondering if any of you have ever shipped a cake - if you know if it is at all doable between the states and Canada?

I hate letting people down and would love to help and to ship but I cannot see how to.

I know Colette does it but then again her customers probably has so much money they don't care about shipping costs!

Birgitte (bmote1)
Calgary

2 replies
Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

Let me start by saying your cakes are beautiful.

I have a couple of ideas for you. In RLB Cake Bible she has a section on packaging cakes, definately read that. Next invest in some really good quality hat boxes of various sizes and acid free food safe tissue paper. Pack the cake in box, surround with tissue, and then finish packing with those packing peanuts that dissolve on your tongue. I think they are made from some wheat or rice product. Then pack the whole thing in another box, surround that with packing peanuts, take that box to the packing store and have them pack it in another box.

Many places will only pay out on the insurance if they do the packing and thats how to get around it. Good Luck! I hope this helps. Oh and make sure your fondant/gumpaste is hard.

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 3

Your cakes are gorgeous!! I've never shipped but looked at your cakes after your post and wanted to comment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%