Recipe Help! Dairy And Soy-Free

Baking By CreativeCakery Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm by snarkybaker

CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:48am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I need a recipe in a hurry. Got a call tonight for a cake due in just a few days. The cake is for a one year old's birthday party and it ABSOLUTELY must be DAIRY AND SOY-FREE!!!! icon_cry.gif I checked the recipes here but I could only find them including soy milk. I need it to be a stable cake that can stand up to decorating, and also a decorator's icing. Please help ASAP as I will want to try a test version before making the "real deal". THANK YOU!! thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
luggi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:54am
post #3 of 8

I haven't tried any of them, so I don't know how good they are, but go to allrecipes.com and search "dairy free" in the "cake" section. There are several different recipes.

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:57am
post #4 of 8

One of the recipes on allrecipes.com is called "Grandma's Eggless, Butterless, Milkless Cake." It is rated pretty high.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:01am
post #5 of 8

Ask the parent if the child can tolerate goat's milk. Most dairy intolerant/allergic people can, then you can just swap the dairy/soy milk for that, or you could use rice or oat milk from the health store. I would use a pure vegetable margarine for the fat in the recipe (check the label for soy/milk additives), and a pure shortening icing would be fine too - or again just use the vegetable margarine if it doesn't have to be white white. Hope that helps!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 2:40am
post #6 of 8

Chocolate Depression Cake (TRIED THIS ONE-VERY GOOD.7yyrt)      
1 2/3 c. flour
1 c. brown or white sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. vinegar
Grease and flour 8x8 inch pan (9x13 inch for doubled recipe). Thoroughly mix together all ingredients. Bake
at 350 degrees for 30- 35 minutes. Can sprinkle powdered sugar on top while cake is hot if desired.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 2:42am
post #7 of 8

Have NOT tried this one:
Eggless Chocolate Cake
3 c Flour
2 ts Baking Soda
2 ts Salt
2/3 c Cocoa
2 c Sugar
2 ts Vinegar
2 ts Vanilla
2/3 c Butter or Margarine, melted
2 c Cold Water
Preheat oven to 350oF.
Sift into an ungreased 9x13 pan, the flour, baking soda and salt.Combine cocoa and sugar in a small bowl and stir into the flour mixture.
Make 3 holes in mixture. In the first hole, palce the vinegar. Thevanilla goes in the second hole. The third hole is filled with themelted butter. Pour water over all. Stir with a fork, mix in flour witha spatula. Bake 35-45 minutes until done, test done.
*** Can be halved and placed in a 8 or 9 inch square pan.
Source: "The Yankee Kitchen"

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 8

It looks to me from your post that eggs are okay, just no dairy or soy, is that correct ? If so, just take your favorite cake recipe and use almond or rice milk from the store. ( I prefer the taste of the almond milk, but ask about nut allergies)

For butter use butter flavor crisco...voila.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%