Sleeve Fillings...nice Or Nasty?

Decorating By projectqueen Updated 26 Aug 2006 , 1:16pm by projectqueen

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:02am
post #1 of 47

Just a poll to see if these sleeve fillings are appealing to people.

If you think some flavors are nice or particularly nasty, please list those as well.

Thanks.

46 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 5:55am
post #2 of 47

I use quite a few sleeve fillings. I think the raspberry, strawberry, apple, coconut cream, and key lime are really, really yummy. I don't really care for the bavarian cream or chocolate cream, but they are two of my most popular fillings, so I guess people must like them! I would like to make more of my own fillings, but it's just so much easier and time-friendly to use the sleeves.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 47

Love them!!!

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 47

Where do you buy them?

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 47

Yummy! icon_razz.gif It is all I use. We have a local restaurant supplier, that makes them fresh. I especially like the lemon, chocolate bavarian creme, strawberry, and raspberry. My customers all think I make them from scratch.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 47

I like them. Have only used raspberry and strawberry and liked them both. I too would like to make my own but this is so much more convienent and cheaper. I buy mine at my local cake supply store.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 47

They are good. I have tried the pineapple, strawberry and chocolate bavarian. A friend of mine said that bought the vanilla bavarian and that it was not very tasty.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 47

I've used the strawberry, raspberry, apricot and cherry. The raspberry one is my favorite so far. I've purchased the lemon, apple, pineapple, cream cheese, but haven't used them yet.

These work out great for me, since they say right on the label that they don't require refrigeration, and I can't sell anything that does.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 47

I live in Montreal and have never heard of a sleeve filling can someone please tell me what they are? lol Thanks

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcat

I live in Montreal and have never heard of a sleeve filling can someone please tell me what they are? lol Thanks

They are pre-made cake or pastry fillings that have been packaged in long platic bags (like a sleeve). They are really good and convenient.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 47

I have only used the strawberry but will probably try others as well. Ohio summers can be HOT and you need to keep everyone safe, the fact that you do not need to refrigerate these fillings is huge for me!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 47

Absolutely love them. I just recently used the raspberry and added some Polaner all fruit raspberry and it was WONDERFUL!!!!

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 47

I like to make my own fillings and package them in ziplock bags. This way, you have your fillings on hand, without having to make a batch every time you make a cake. I keep these in the freezer, in the bags, and when I need one, I take it out, thaw it and it's ready to go. I don't use the ones from the stores.....sometimes my customers have allergies to preservatives, and I try to keep it as "pure" as possible when I can!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 47

Oh ok it's like our can fillings only in a sleeve we also have the cheaper brands that come in a square bag. The problem is they only have the regular flavors like apple, cherry, raspberry and lemon. So I generally just make my own.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 47

I've used them and really like them. DH loves the bavarian, and the fruit ones are good too. In Ohio, I can sell without a license but they can't be things that are kept in the fridge, so the fact that these don't need to be kept cold really works for me. Gives me many more filling options for customers than making my own which usually need to be kept cold.

cakesbyjess Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 47

I purchase my fillings from my cake supplier: http://www.linneasinc.com/Catalog/Scripts/default.asp (they only sell wholesale, so you have to have a business tax ID #).

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:01pm
post #17 of 47

I love the fillings, especially the Pineapple. It is WONDERFUL mixed with buttercream!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:10pm
post #18 of 47

I've only tried the strawberry, raspberry and lemon filling sleeves but I love them. They are so much more convenient and cost effective than making my own. I hope to get an opportunity to try more of the flavors.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 7:28pm
post #19 of 47

I agree w/mommymarilyn. the pineapple is so good w/the BC.
I grew up in NY and we used to order our cakes from this one bakery. we used to only buy pineapple filling.
When i started doing cakes i used to make them w/out fillings. My family was fine with just that. Well i had to eventually go and try the sleeves i kept seeing at the cake stores. So i bought the pineapple and did it a few wks ago. Everyone loved it!! They all said it taste better than the one from that bakery. I think they use the same thing, it looks like the same texture, color and taste (to me atleast).
Where i buy my stuff they go from 4.50 - 6.50, depending on the flavor. I rather buy them, then to do my own. They are called Pastry filling. I get them from nycake.com or candylandcrafts.com. I'm near both stores so it's convenient for me. No tax ID needed.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 12:28am
post #20 of 47

I like them, but have only tried the raspberry and cherry. I thought the cherry was too bitter, but everyone else seemed to really like it.

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 12:47am
post #21 of 47

I've only used the raspberry and the lemon. I personally like to make a lemon cake and fill it with raspberry filling. I also use the raspberry with chocolate cake. I have some bavarian creme but haven't used it yet. What kind of cake do you all use it with and does the bavarian creme need refrigerated? Thanks~

~luraleigh~

cakesbyjess Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:59am
post #22 of 47

My customers like bavarian cream with chocolate fudge cake and red velvet cake, and I also slice fresh bananas on top of it in with banana cake. It does not need to be refrigerated.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:14am
post #23 of 47

icon_smile.gif I think the raspberry, strawberry and lemon are good. The bavarian cream tastes rancid to me. I make my own on the vanilla creams.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 6:29am
post #24 of 47

I really like them. For a couple of bucks they are totally worth it! You can get them at cash and carry and don't need a business id if you pay in cash.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 12:52pm
post #25 of 47

I havent used any, but I am interested in trying. couple of questions...how big are the sleeves? Do you generally have a lot leftover if you are just doing one cake? If so can it be kept until a later date? Are they thick enough (specifically raspberry) to not need a crumb coat? i did a raspberry filling once and it soaked all into the cake and it was completely WET! So I am scared to make raspberry again, even though I would like to.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:02pm
post #26 of 47

the sleeve i buy are usually a little over a foot long i pay anywhere form 3 to 4 dollars for each. Once you open them you really should use the product or freeze the consitancy is like firm pudding not runny at all my favortie is mixing pineapple and coconut to gether in between rum cake .

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #27 of 47

what keeps them from needing to be refrigerated? I've seen them but always thought they looked kinda nasty..... I usually have used like jams or jellys for stuff like raspberry or strawberry fillings.

Can you buy them in smaller quantities? I just can't imagine needing to use a whole sleeve - I don't bake as often as I'd like to and I'd hate to buy a lot and waste it all. And if you freeze it - how long can you do that for and then do you thaw it to use it again or can you defrost it in the microwave? I've just never had any experience with these.....

Is there one brand that is better than another?

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #28 of 47

Can i get them at my local grocery store. Any new yorker out there. Do pathmark carry them? I have a cake due tomorrow and that sounds wonderful and efficient.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 2:35pm
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmom

Can i get them at my local grocery store. Any new yorker out there. Do pathmark carry them? I have a cake due tomorrow and that sounds wonderful and efficient.

I have never seen the sleeves in the grocery store, only canned fillings like you would use in a pie.

I think you need to get the sleeves from a bakery or restaurant supply store.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #30 of 47

I love them, I usually buy from country kitchen. So far they have the best price next to sugarcraft. Except the cream cheese is way too expensive.

I store in extra in a rubbermaid bowl in my pantry.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=798

Pastry Filling-Apricot
$4.25
Unit: 2 lb.

Pastry Filling-Lemon
$2.65

Pastry Filling-Red Raspberry
$3.70

Pastry Filling-Strawberry
$3.50