2% Instead Of Whole Milk???

Decorating By busymom9501 Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm by jesaltuve

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 12

I have a recipe (from the cake mix doctor) that calls for 1 cup of whole milk. I only have 2% and really don't feel like going back to the store. ha. Will it make a huge difference in how my cake turns out? If I have to run to the store...I will. haha

11 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 12

Not a huge difference, but you can throw a pat of melted butter in to correct the amount of fat if you'd like.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 12

you can use a little cream or sour cream as well.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 12

You could always borrow a cup of whole milk from a neighbor icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 12

I can't say if it will affect the specific recipe or not. I just wanted to share that growing up in family of 6 kids in the days of a single working parent, my mom never had the extra money to buy what we considered the expensive stuff .... we used margarine, not butter; it was always 2% milk, not whole milk; salad dressing instead of mayonnaise.

I get a good chuckle during commercials and cooking shows that indicate "....only the finest ingredients, just like your mom used!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Maybe I grew up on the really poor side of the tracks, but none of the moms I knew ever went to the gourmet shops and bought high priced imported chocolate, expensive cream and real butter. They went to the local grocery and bought Nestle's choc chips, cheap milk and store brand margarine.

And made the best chocolate chip cookies we ever tasted! thumbs_up.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 12

I think you will be fine..........

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 12

I just heard on one of the shows on Food network that the water (i think) separates from the milk when using part skim which is why the recipe may not come out right.. i've always used 2% whenever a recipe called for milk which isn't too often, but i've never had a problem.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 12

I bake from scratch and there's ALWAYS 2% or 1% milk in the 'fridge! I didn't even give it a second thought until recently LOL! I bet it'll be fine icon_wink.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I can't say if it will affect the specific recipe or not. I just wanted to share that growing up in family of 6 kids in the days of a single working parent, my mom never had the extra money to buy what we considered the expensive stuff .... we used margarine, not butter; it was always 2% milk, not whole milk; salad dressing instead of mayonnaise.

I get a good chuckle during commercials and cooking shows that indicate "....only the finest ingredients, just like your mom used!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Maybe I grew up on the really poor side of the tracks, but none of the moms I knew ever went to the gourmet shops and bought high priced imported chocolate, expensive cream and real butter. They went to the local grocery and bought Nestle's choc chips, cheap milk and store brand margarine.

And made the best chocolate chip cookies we ever tasted! thumbs_up.gif

LOL I know what you mean! It wasn't MY mom either! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 12

I'm with mom2spunkynbug, i bake from scratch and always use 1%.

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 12

I'm glad to know there wouldn't be a big difference!!! However, I called my mom and, because she's the BEST, she brought me over some whole milk. haha. I know...I'm spoiled. icon_smile.gif Thank you SOOOO much for all your help!!

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 12

I usually use 2%, not a noticeable difference, if at all. And if you look at the fat content, it's really not that big of a difference either (although those of us that drink it like to think it is).

BTW you can also use, cup for cup, either buttermilk, sourcream, or yogurt for subs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%