Putting Flowers On A Cake

Decorating By nursey Updated 4 Jul 2007 , 6:39pm by KoryAK

nursey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursey Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 9

I've never put real flowers on a cake and i don't know the rules. Today I have to put Carnations on a Chocolate cake, do i have to use any picks or anything or can i just go ahead and clean and cut my carnationa and put them where ever i want them how does this work? OOh ya the lady also wants some fern and baby's breath. pls help me THANK YOU

Nursey

8 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 9

i wouldn't insert any part of a flower into a cake at all. if you areinserting them, i would use a plastic pick.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 9

its also a good idea to put a piece of parchment paper underneath the flower so that there is minimal contact with the cake. even organic and non toxic flowers are going to have some pesticides and fertilizers. they just might not have as much as other flowers. if you are putting them into the cake, definitely use a flower pick.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 9

I use flower picks to place them on a cake. Some people wrap the stems in plastic wrap instead of using flower picks.

ThanhThanh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThanhThanh Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 9

I just go ahead, clean and cut the flowers then put them into the wedding cakes nothing happen for all my cakes. I didnt use plastic pick, parchment paper or plastic wrap, I worry they stuck in the cake when someone get off the flower and cut the cake that didnt know there were still something in the cake they eat and .. sue to me for damages ..hihihi

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:16am
post #6 of 9

Amen to ThanhThanh, we are all too worried about stuff that we consume every day anyway (don't shoot!). That said, I do insert my flowers into drinking straws and then into the cake. Cake for me though? plain stems all the way.

nursey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursey Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for your help, I did get fresh Carnations from my local market, I washed them real well, dried them, cut and just placed them on my cake. Must say, it turned out alright the customer was happy, loved the cake. Again thank you everyone for your help.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 9

I take food safety very seriously. All my brides sign a fresh flower waiver is they're using fresh flowers os a cake. I require that a florist arrange them so that the stems do not come in contact with the cake. In the event that the florist refuses to arrange them, or just doens't, then the bride knows that I wil inform the caterer that the cake is no longer food safe and it can be served at their risk (not mine) as I have provided the warning. All this is in my contract.

You guys can haha about getting sued if you want, but this is my business.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 9

Now I'm no doctor, but I think most people aren't going to have any reaction to being exposed to the pesticides in a rose. The people who DO have sensitivities are already going to be on the lookout and won't get near that beautiful, flower-decorated cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%