Covering Rice Krispy Molds

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 7:18pm by GRAMMASUE

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I keep reading posts on how many of you use rice krispy treats for molding then cover with fondant. I tried this and my fondant covering was so bumpy because the molded object was bumpy from the rice krispys. Is there a trick to doing this for a smooth finish; e.g. do you cover with buttercream first?

Sorry if this question was asked before but I couldn't find it in my forum search.

9 replies
cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 10

Thanks for asking this question. I am getting to ready to try it and wondered the same thing.

4sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4sweet Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 10

Covering with fondant two times, and it it look smooth

wanda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wanda45 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not an expert by any means but I will tell you that I tried this about 3 weeksa ago to make the head of my T-rex cake. I worked the rice cripises and smoothed them alot. You can smooth them pretty good. I covered them with fondant and my head turned out smooth.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 10

I cover mine first with a layer of BC to smooth out and then fondant. They have come out nicely for me.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 10

Has anyone tried covering the RKT with crusting buttercream and then smoothing. Would that work?

Julie

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 10

I have not tried molding/covering RKTs yet, but there has been lots of tips on CC for it=) One tip(Duff does this) was to crush the RKs before you add them to the melted marshmallows. I also read, if not going to be eaten, some file down the bumps. Others cover the RKTs, that are already molded, with melted white chocolate. Also, the way the previous posters mentioned too=) Comes down to what works best for you! Jen

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 10

If you use the RKT in your cake do you count it in the # of servings? I would assume you don't but wanted to double check?
do you disclose up front that you are going to use that or not?
thanks!

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 10

I always let people know about using the Rice Krispie treat. I dont count it in the cake servings, I count it more as additional decoration, even though most poeple will eat it. I just smooth fondant on the RKT. I think the MMF works great for covering and is pretty easy to smooth. Though I have noticed the more I work with it the better I get, and I dont need to do much in the way of filing. I think if you do a good mold it works pretty well.

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 10

I cover the RKT with buttercream first and then with fondant. I've had no problems getting a smooth surface. Everyone always eats the treats and the layer of buttercream makes it very tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%