How To Doctor A Mix For A Shaped Pan?

Decorating By mom2drg Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 1:46pm by mgdqueen

mom2drg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2drg Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:24am
post #1 of 6

I am a newbie making a Cookie Monster from a shaped Elmo cake pan. I made a practice cake from scratch. My family complained that it was too dense and dry. I have decided to go with a mix. I have read a ton about doctoring and extending on this site. I would like to use one of these recipes but I am concerned that they may be too moist to hold up the shape of the pan. What recipe do you use for shaped cakes? Thank you so much!

5 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:43am
post #2 of 6

The character pans are not very big and don't need an extender unless you want it. If you prefer a cake that is dense but very moist, use the White Almond Sour Cream (WASC) cake in the recipe section and just make a small cake on the side with the extra. I have made Cookie Monster from the Elmo pan-it's in my photos. Cookie Monster is one of my favorite characters!!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:55am
post #3 of 6

I don't use any charactor pans, for this cake we were tought to use the doll pan. Any 3 D cales we carv.

Kat

mom2drg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2drg Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 6

mgdqueen,
What did you use for the cake in the Elmo pan? I want to make sure it is moist but I don't want it to be too dense. It seems to me that many people are so used to cake mix that they prefer it. I want it to be moist and sturdy enough to hold up in the pan but not too dense. Extra batter is actually helpful because the cake isn't big enough to feed everyone.

katwomen1up,
I wish I was talented enough to carve a cake! I am thrilled that I figured out how to use the grass tip! I'll stick to the shaped pan for now!

Thanks!

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 6

I would use this recipe for a character cake. Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 6

I am not ashamed to say it was a Pillsbury classic white-they have pudding added, are very moist and slightly dense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%