90Th Birthday!!! Need Ideas

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 3:44pm by Karenelli

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make my aunt's 90th birthday cake and really want to wow her. I really haven't decided on the size or anything yet so am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to make a really classic cake for her. Again, I'm open to all ideas.

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 8

How about a large slab with lots and lots of flowers....Roses,Chrysanthamums,daisies,in pastel colors...

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 8

depending on how many servings you will need.

two tiers or more - maybe her favorite flowers on the bottom on each circling aroung the cake.

The link below has two beautiful cakes the white flowers and the middle on in the group of three.

http://www.cookeryware.com/giftreg.htm

DanielleMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleMakesCakes Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 8

i did a 90th and 91st cake for my grandmom and what i did was incorporated one of her favorite things in the cake. she loves horses and butterflies so i did a butterfly fbct on one of the cakes and a horse fbct on the other cake. i would definatley either do a tier cake or a shaped cake too, just because that is something you dont see everyday and it will really wow her. also, pastels are wonderful...and i know from my experience, older folks loooove pound cake.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 8

Does she have a favorite style - classic, whimsical, modern ??? I'd start with that and go through the pictures here or elsewhere on the web and then pick a design. I don't know why we always try to stick with a certain theme (like a certain number or age) when they would probably love something beautiful you've created!!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

When I did my Gramma's 80th BDay, I wasn't sure either, so I picked up a Wilton book - and did the one right out of the book. Everyone loved it. Not very unique (to people who know) - but all the guests were wowed. And I learned to make the picket fence, and there's a lot of different flowers, so that was fun.

Also, most of it is done ahead (royal decorations) making the last minute stuff fairly easy for me.
LL

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 8

I think a reflection type theme would be pretty cool. Each level represents different times in her life. Maybe 3 tiers with items that are from different time periods. Maybe something to represent the yr she would have turned 21, got married, had 1st baby, etc...
Good luck on it and I hope it turns out wonderfully for you!

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 8

Wow, alot of great ideas. Thank you all sooo much!!! I will really do alot of different approaches! I have alot to think about, but it is nice to know there is somewhere to go even in the beginning stages of the process. My aunt does love flowers and always could be found in her garden. I'll talk to her daughter about different times in her life. AGain, thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%