Opening A Home-Based Cake Business In Missouri

Business By I_Love_Cake Updated 5 Sep 2005 , 1:19am by I_Love_Cake

I_Love_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I_Love_Cake Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on opening a home-based cake business in missouri. I have received information from my city on a liscense and I know about getting your tax I.D. # and all of that. My question is do I need to worry about the health Dept. or Dept. of Agriculture? Would it also be smart to get insurance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

4 replies
gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I live in Columbia, while I do not have a in home baking business, we have another home business so here are some phone numbers for you to call, just explain to these folks what you are doing and they will let you know wheather you have to pay taxes, get numbers, yada yada yada.

Federal Tax ID# (can do it right over the phone)1-800-8294933
Mo Tax ID# 1-800-877-6881 also look up their website for instuctions
and other papers www.dor.mo.gov

I would call all of them first, its nicer to talk to someone then try and figure out instructions on the web.

I recommend an accountant, but in lieu of that, keep DETAILED SEPARATE RECORDS. We keep ours in an expandable file folder sorted by these below for deductions:
Supplies (everything groc-ingred-pans-bags-colors-etc)
Gas & Repair (keep track of miles for delivery)
Charitable (anything you donate is deductable )
Classes are deductable
Magazines and Subscriptions and Dues are deductable
Childcare if needed for you to work, is deductable
Accountant is deductable
A percentage of your utilities/home maint/insurance etc is deductable

I know there are others just can't think of them right now.

HIGHLY recommend liability insurance, its based on estimate of sales and suppose you got sued for "ruining a party" or "making someone sick" etc, this would go along way.

A business license (are you in the county or city?)
Some counties require you to take food preparation and health classes designed just for food service people.
You may even need permission from your neighbors if you are in a neighborhood, again, county and city officials can usually answer those questions.

MUST call Dept of Health and Dept of Agriculture in your county and find out what there regs are, these are the ones that set the rules and do the inspections, here in Columbia I believe only the dept of Health, but they require separate entrace, 3 sinks, the usual.

Hope I havnt overwhelmed you, I know its alot, but Lord knows you want every base covered. The goverment is not to be trifled with.

Good Luck Heather (who is a little bit paranoid when it come to
the government.)

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 5

Can you get a Federal Tax Id # and MO State Tax ID # and not be licensed??

I report all earnings and deductions (supplies) on my taxes (right now as hobby). I will get licensed and certified within the next 3 years, but if I could get a tax id # I can get such better deals on supplies.

Just wondering...

Thanks for any input.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 25 Jun 2005 , 2:52am
post #4 of 5

hello! i live in kansas city kansas....,. and yes you can get the tax id number with out having a liscence! i use mine to get supplies without having to pay taxes. i report income on yearly taxes, but it really is great to count deductions, they seem to always be more (haha)
hope you get your id number soon, to start saving!
good luck
melody

I_Love_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I_Love_Cake Posted 5 Sep 2005 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for all your great input. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%