Instant Pudding In Cake....

Baking By de916 Updated 24 Jun 2017 , 9:22pm by Brown_butter_everything

de916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de916 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 5:42am
post #1 of 32

Hi everyone...I was just wondering if u guys know what happens if you add chocolate instant pudding to a vanilla flavored cake mix? will it have a weird taste? and will it hold up? Thanx everyone.

31 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:13am
post #2 of 32

I doubt a weird taste - but it would have a weird color!

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:23am
post #3 of 32

It'll hold up the same...dunno what chocnilla taste like though.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 32

You would probably end up with a light brown color cake that had a slight taste of chocolate to it.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 32

You could use white chocolate pudding mix without changing the color.

Debbie

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 32

I LOVE using white chocolate pudding mix in my cakes! It is one of my most requested flavors - the other being cheesecake! It is yummy!

Marilyn

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 32

It is yummy!

Deb

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 32

Sooooo, you just add a pkg of instant pudding in the mix, nothing else? I always add 1 egg and a little xtra oil, use milk instead of water.....

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 32

I was wondering about the pudding thing myself. I've always used the pre-made pudding cups, but how does it work if you use the mix?

Do you have to make the pudding and then add it to the batter or can you just put in the powdered mix along with the extra egg and milk instead of water?

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 32

I just add the powdered pudding into the mix with the extra egg and milk instead of water. I always get complemented on how good it tastes.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

I LOVE using white chocolate pudding mix in my cakes! It is one of my most requested flavors - the other being cheesecake! It is yummy!

Marilyn

What flaver cake mix do you buy when you use these flavor pudding mixes?

usaribbon.gif Support our President and Troops usaribbon.gif

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 32

Thanks 2yummy!

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 32

I love adding instant pudding to cake mixes. My question is I want to make a strawberry cake but there isn't strawberry pudding, any suggestions?

jawalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jawalk Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 32

Cheese Cake Instanting Pudding would be nice. or White Chocolate. I am new here and thought I would put in my 2 cents.

AuntieTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieTina Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:38pm
post #15 of 32

I use cheesecake pudding in my strawberry cakes.

ConnieB Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 32

Welcome to CC jawalk, you will love it here, everybody is so nice and helpful! But be careful, its very addictive! icon_biggrin.gif

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 32

So how much milk do you use? I use buttermilk in my cakes not cow's milk. Is that okay?

Cheesecake pudding w/strawberry cake sounds good

What are some other good combos?

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 6:02pm
post #18 of 32

ConnieB - I love to use butter recipe cake mix and then add a flavored pudding mix - especially White chocolate or Cheesecake flavored. But, I have also used them with white cake mix, and fruit flavored like banana or coconut or pineapple. It's sort of like all the flavors of cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory - just about anything goes with cheesecake! thumbs_up.gif

Marilyn

ConnieB Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 6:51pm
post #19 of 32

Thank you! I am going to try the cheesecake flavor pudding. I normally use vanilla with my vanilla cake and chocolate with my chocolate cake, I stick to vary basic things. I am scared I will mess up if I try something different. usaribbon.gif

de916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de916 Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 6:53pm
post #20 of 32

THanx eveyone for all the advice.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:23pm
post #21 of 32

I normally like to use one of the extender recipes because I like how it fills the pan more. Do you think adding the pudding and an extra egg would help fill the pan more?

jawalk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jawalk Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:21pm
post #22 of 32

No, it did not make more batter like an extender it was just moister and more dense. Also, when I added the instant pudding (powder) and extra egg I did not add any other liquid. Compared to most of you I have only been doing this a short time. (I took 3 wilton courses and have made two birthday cakes for hire) But I will never look at a cake the same way again. Now I have to decorate them all.......... I have been watching this site since June and love every post.

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 2:53am
post #23 of 32

I've never added pudding to my mixes. Sounds like a good idea. And what is an extender?

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 3:02am
post #24 of 32

icon_smile.gif I made a strawberry wedding cake with cream cheese icing and I used the DH strawberry cake mix and added a box of strawberry jello to it and it turned out fine.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #25 of 32

I tried to add a extra egg and a small package of pudding mix . The cake tasted good but was very dense and cave in the middle. Aso is the diabetic icing recipie posted on this site good. Does anyone have any tips on it. Thanks

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #26 of 32

Thought of another question I tried to add vanilla pudding between the layers on a cake to cut the sweetness of the icing and it seemed that the pudding soaked into the cake and the cake kinda fell. Do You usually frost a thin crumb coat of buttercream and let it crust then put the filling on top or what . I'm pretty new to all of this and I appreciate any advice anyone can give.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:34am
post #27 of 32

The below is part of a hand out I give to my students for the doctor cake mix recipe. I have hard some people that use half a package of pudding but I have always used a full and haven't had a problem with it. Please note though that it does need to be the instant pudding and not the cook and serve or sugar free pudding.

(Excert from handout)

Standard Doctored Cake Mix Recipe

1 box cake mix (standard size, about 18 ounces)
1 box pudding mix (4-serving size)
eggs amount called for on box PLUS 1 egg
oil amount called for on box
water - amount called for on cake mix box

Mix as directed on cake mix box. Pour into prepared pan. Bake as directed on cake mix box or according to the pan you are using.

Extra notes:
You want to use a pudding that will compliment the cake mix flavor. White Chocolate pudding is good with White cake mix. Vanilla or French Vanilla will add an extra touch to the White cake mix, but will change the color to off white. I use French Vanilla pudding for the French Vanilla mix. For Strawberry cake mix I like to use Cheesecake flavored pudding. You can use Butterscotch pudding in Spice cakes. With Chocolate or Red Velvet cake you can use Chocolate, Chocolate Fudge, Devil's Food pudding.

You can always add other additions to your cake mixes such as chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and/or nuts.

You can substitute milk or buttermilk in place of the water, as well as butter in place of the oil. Keep in mind these substitution can affect the texture of your cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:39am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

I normally like to use one of the extender recipes because I like how it fills the pan more. Do you think adding the pudding and an extra egg would help fill the pan more?

I don't know that you can add two doctor methods together and get good results, but I guess you can always try it.

Using the pudding does add a little bit more to the cake mix, but only a small amount. Nothing like the two of so cups you get from the extender.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:00pm
post #29 of 32

I live in Colorado (elevation 5,280ft) - so sometimes altitude is a problem in baking. However, I saw an older lady in the grocery store on Sunday and we got to talking about adding pudding to cake mixes (something I had not done previously). She said for years she has been doing it, and here is her standard recipe, no matter what flavor of cake or pudding she uses.

1 cake mix
1 pkg pudding (right from the box)
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/2 cup of oil

I tried it Sunday night with DH cherry chip cake and vanilla pudding. It turned out yummy. I think I will try using milk instead of water next time, too, to see if there is a difference in taste and moisteness.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 5:06pm
post #30 of 32

Just finished a double chocolate fudge cake that had the extender, extra pudding mix, AND a tub of store-bought fudge frosting in it. Turned out great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%