Fondant

Decorating By suz3 Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 6:39am by fantasy_art

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone used Satin Ice brand fondant? If so, what did you think about it. I love using fondant but hate that Wilton's does not taste that good. I heard this was better but I have to order 5lbs. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
tarynme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarynme Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 7

I think comparing Wilton to Satin Ice is like comparing mud to chocolate. But that's just what I've heard, seeing as I've never tried tasting Wilton's! But I like Satin Ice icon_biggrin.gif

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 7

I've *heard* great things about Satin Ice, but have never used it myself. HTH! icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 7

Satin Ice.... Yum...... I love it. If I'm going to make a cake for someone to actually eat the fondant, it's Satin Ice all the way. If it's just for a dummy cake, I save my money and use Wilton (which is gross to eat but makes a fine dummy). The white SI fondant is vanilla flavored, and the chocolate SI is very dark so you can either use it as is, use just a tad of black color to get a nice dark black that won't stain your teeth, or mix it with the vanilla for a lighter color. It tastes like tootsie rolls.

Deanna

lrstone98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrstone98 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 7

I've heard satin ice is good, I've also heard fondex (found on www.caljavaonline.com ) is good. Never used either though.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 7

Fondex is delicious, but I can't get it around here where I live. I tasted it at a cake show last year. The flavors are lovely but I don't have access to it without shipping it in, and that would be too expensive for me. icon_sad.gif

Deanna

fantasy_art Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fantasy_art Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 6:39am
post #7 of 7

If I had to choose between eating the two I would pick Satin Ice. The flavor is better than Wilton but I still dont care for it. Have you tried making it yourself? Its very easy and you can make any kind of flavor you like. I have recipes for different kinds if your not sure what to make. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%