I'm Mortified!!!

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm by MJsmom

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 17

I just received my first "complaint" from a customer. She said that the cake that she purchased last Friday (she had two orders just last week alone) was "sad" inside. When I asked what she meant by "sad," she said that it was gooey. I check the doneness of ALL of my cakes prior to removing from the oven. Whether I have to leave them in longer than the typical baking time, or not, they're left in until that pick comes out clean. I feel that I OWE her something back, due to the quality of the cake. However, here's my thing...it's not that I don't believe her...well, not totally, but like I mentioned, that pick is clean, or that pan doesn't see the outside of the oven. She said that she didn't want her money, but wanted me to know about the quality. I have NEVER had a complain, so this one is particularly hard to swallow. Any advice? Any thoughts as to how I can "reimburse" her in other ways? Maybe a 25% discount off of her next order? She's an executive's assistant in a major local company, so this type of "bad" word of mouth isn't even remotely good. I want to stay in good standing with her and the company. Comments and suggest welcomed. In the meantime, I'm going to bury my head in a pillow and cry for a while...

Amy

16 replies
heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 17

I have had this happen myself even though the pick sometimes is clean it's still moist in the middle. I go ahead and leave mine in for an extra 5 minutes. I would tell her on her next order you would take 25 % off. Hope this helps .

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 17

You could give her a certificate for another cake, but she may be leary of calling you again. I think if you baked her a small replacement cake that is once again perfect, you could mend the fence.

As to the doneness-what size layer?
Did you use a heating core or flower nail?
bake even strips?

I have a couple of recipes that are notorius for underbaking. I always use extra flower nails. And then, to be extra sure, I torte the layers so I can see the inside.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 17

There was another post just like this one a while back except it was supposedly an entire wedding cake! I think since it's never happened to anyone in excess and is a very rare accurance, I'd give her a 15%-20% discount if any instead of 25%. I was the assistant manager for a local resaurant for 3 yrs and we never gave anything more that 10% off. As long as even the most ticked of customers hears the word discount, they usually change their additude and are happy again! icon_rolleyes.gif Crazy huh?! In this case I think because she just told you FYI, next time she orders a cake from you, when she's paying for the cake just let her know "I'm gonna give you a discount". This way it comes as somewhat a suprise to her and she feels more compelled to come back to you because you took care of her w/o her having to ask.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 17

On larger cakes I turn my oven off at the 10 minute mark, then let it bake on retained heat for 20 minutes - the result is that, because it is also cooling while it's baking, I do not get hard, crusty edges.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 17

I agree that you should make her a cake... raw cake is gross and unfortunately I have been in the embarassing situation where my pic came out dry too and the cake was gooey...I was there when they cut it and OMG! The horror! icon_twisted.gif

It was for a good friend but I was still mortified since her family was there and they are all cake lovers..... I made her next cake for free and now hover in the kitchen like a nervous nelly.... waiting for that EXACT moment between "done" and "dry" to take the cake out!

If this woman is in the position to make or break your business, so to speak, I would offer a 50% off or something.... now if you think she is lying, that is a different story. I guess I would rather be safe then sorry since bad word of mouth is a killer.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 17

Hi Amy, don't let this keep you down, I know that feeling and it's not pretty. What I would do in your shoes is make a small cake (maybe 6") to "appologize" for any inconvenience, try to explain that sometimes this things happen and really is out of your hands. Also, I would give her a 10-15% discount in her next order. That way she will feel like you took care of her as a customer. Also, just for the future, torte your cakes to be 100% sure. HTH and cheer up!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Hi Amy, don't let this keep you down, I know that feeling and it's not pretty. What I would do in your shoes is make a small cake (maybe 6") to "appologize" for any inconvenience, try to explain that sometimes this things happen and really is out of your hands. Also, I would give her a 10-15% discount in her next order. That way she will feel like you took care of her as a customer. Also, just for the future, torte your cakes to be 100% sure. HTH and cheer up!!

What do you do if you torte and realize it is not cooked enough? Re-bake the entire thing or can you cook it longer? I just want to be prepared icon_sad.gif since it is bound to happen again...

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 17

I think I got this tip from the cakebible site but I"m not sure - anyway - to test for "doneness" she said to always use a WOODEN tester - like a toothpick b/c it works better than the metal ones. I also poke around a couple of different places to make sure. Another way is to see if the edges are pulling away a bit from the pan - it SHOULD be done then.....
Good luck I've had it happen that my middle didn't cook and it's sooo frustrating. I've tried putting it back in the oven and I don't think that works...... I'd start over icon_sad.gif I know how that feels! icon_cry.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 17

If you torte it and it's not done, you have to rebake.

Since this is a repeat customer AND she didn't ask for anything from you I think 25% off her next order or else a free small cake is appropriate. 10% off is kind of an insult these days.

nefgaby Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 17

Hi, well, to tell you the truth, what I did when this happend to me (torted and was underbaked) I did put it back in the oven at a lower temp for 5-10 min. It was an 8" cake (thank God) so I took the 2 halves of the cake and put each in a round pan with the cut side up and baked it a little longer. I did loose some of the moisture of my cake. I guess this is not the best thing to do, but since the cake was for my house I gave it a try. If it had been a cake I was going to sell I probably would've start over (... I know, what a pain).
Anyway, going back to Amy's problem, I was thinking... what filling did you use? As I found that if my cake is a "moist" recipe or cake mix and add a "saucy" filling like a fruit filling, this would give the impression of being underbaked and gooey when all that is, is the syrup of the filling that dripped down the cake itself adding to the moisture. HTH.

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 17

I say an apology cake like some have suggested. Make a pretty 6" with a note apologizing for the situation (those things happen!) and if I were the customer I would call you back with more orders. As far as discount maybe with a nice note and a cute small cake that's not even necessary.

It will be alright!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking... what filling did you use? As I found that if my cake is a "moist" recipe or cake mix and add a "saucy" filling like a fruit filling, this would give the impression of being underbaked and gooey when all that is, is the syrup of the filling that dripped down the cake itself adding to the moisture.

Maybe, but the customer had a problem with only one of two cakes.

I know that the default response here is that the cake decorator is always right and the customer is usually a crook looking for a deal, but it really does not look that way to me this time.

nefgaby Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 17

Hi MaisieBake, that was just a thought I had, I don't know if this is what really happened or not... never my intention to accuse the costumer.
I understand what you are saying and I do believe this things happen sometimes. icon_smile.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 17

Another hint when you need to test to see if it is done is when you put in the skewer, go in on an angle.

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 17

I check the cake in a few places instead of just one using a long wooden skewer.

I've had the cake test done in the middle but slightly over to one side, the skewer showed it was still gooey and needed to bake longer.

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 17

Ooooh, there are a LOT of great tips on this post! Thanks, ladies!

I agree with the apology cake. Sure- do a small one, but make it EXTRAVAGANT- her favorite flavor, color, interesting flavor and combos- go all out! Then I would go ahead and give her some sort of discount on her next purchase. My experience- it never hurts to OVER apologize. The money it may "cost" you to get back into her good graces will end up being a lot less expensive if you think of the possibility of customers lost by bad advertising! NOT that you deserve to be crucified for one cake underdone- it happens to the best of us! But, since she is a corporate client, I would do all but wash her car! Just kidding. Let us know how everything goes! Blessings! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%