How Do I Get A Platinum Look?

Decorating By Digit Updated 8 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm by Lindascakes

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 12

My cousin just asked me to make her wedding cake, for 350 people (It'll be my first wedding cake--a little nervous about the delivery and set up)!

Anyway, her colors are wine and platinum. She's not sure what design she wants, but she wants both colors incorporated into the cake. I was thinking of wine flowers w/platinum leaves? Or some other kind of detailing in platinum, maybe a platinum border?

**What's the best way to get a platinum look? Do I use luster or petal dust (not sure what the difference is between those).

** Should I put the dust over grey icing or white?

** Can I achieve this look with buttercream or do I need to use a fondant? Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

11 replies
Terrisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terrisa Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 12

Luster dust gives a metallic look, petal dust gives a matte look. I would go with luster dust. Getting a platinum color might be tricky though... depending on what her exact color is you cold probably use a silver luster dust mixed with white pearl dust (also shimmery) or silver luster dust mixed with a touch of gold luster dust. You can apply it with a dry brush or mix it with a few drops of alcohol based liquid such as clear vanilla or vodka, or lemon juice. The wet application gives a more intense color and makes it easier to paint fine details.
I've never tried it on BC, although I've seen it done so I'm sure there's a way. It works really beautifully on fondant though.
Another idea beasides the one you came up with is to make your flowers and leaves in wine and dust/paint the edges platinum. Maybe some other platinum details to bring it out such as writing, lace work, scrolls, borders, etc. I've seen this done with white flowers/silver dust and with sapphire blue flowers/gold dust.. it's a beautiful effect.

HTH... and please share some pictures of what you come up with. I can't wait to see how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Digit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Digit Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 12

Oh, I really like the idea of doing the edges of the wine flowers in platinum. I think subtle touches would be better. Don't want to get tacky! icon_smile.gif Great idea!

I'd love to post some photos--but I don't have a digital camera yet. I'm fairly new to all this computer stuff!

Thanks so much for the tips! I'll have to get some luster dust and start practicing!

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 12

Terrisa,
How much petal dust to how much liquid. Do you make it the consistency of a paste If you want to get full coverage for a metallic look?

Terrisa Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 12

Karenelli
I make mine the consistency of acrylic paint or oil paint... so it's thick enough to cover.

BTW, I'm Reading Scott Clark Wooley's book "Cake By Design" and he says he either uses lemon extract or vegetable oil to mix with the luster dust to get a metallic effect. I think I'm going to try the vegetable oil method out because his gold, silver, etc. always looks amazing. Plus, it wouldn't dry out as fast as the alcohol based mixture does. I think for accenting flowers the faster it dries the better, but when you're covering a larger area of a cake like harlequins or something (that don't have to dry quickly) your paint drying out can be kind of a hassle.

Have any of y'all ever used vegetable oil.. how well does it work?

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 12

I've used vegetable oil to mix a gold lustre dust and it looks fantastic - for about a couple of days and then it goes black. This has happened to me three times and I've now decided not to try again. It's fine if you are going to eat the cake almost immediately. Also if you use a lot, the cake smells of vegetable oil so try getting a non-smelling oil!

Sumer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumer Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 12

There is a luster dust called (i think) silver foliage....this looks very close to platinum....check it out and see what you think..

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 12

i would use silver lustre dust on fondant.,..that's going to be a beautiful cake!! post pics icon_smile.gif

Lindascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindascakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 12

Can you buy Luster dust in the store? Can you use it with whip cream frosting? How do you make gold whip cream frosting! My cake is for tomorrow. If I cannot get it, I will leave out the gold but it will look so much better if I can get some gold in there. They want whip cream icing though.

Sorry for all the questions and no time.

Linda

P.S. This website and all of you out there has helped me sooooooo much!

icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 12

Wow, I had not heard of using veg oil for luster dusts...but good to know that it turns black after a certain amount of time.
You can buy luster dusts at caljava.com....they have TONS of different colors. I am not aware of where you can purchase them in person. I know only a specialty cake store may carry them.
Wow, the colors for this wedding cake sound really beautiful...I cant wait to see it!
icon_smile.gif

Terrisa Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the advice, emmascakes. I will definitely do a test run with the veg oil before trying it on a cake. I'll be using a light canola oil so the taste shouldn't be a problem.

Lindascakes , I've never seen it in a store like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Although I'm sureyou can find it in a specialty/gormet type store if you're lucky enough to have one of those you can go to. As far as putting it in whip cream frosting... it would take an awful lot to achieve a gold effect. You might be better off frosting then loading some dust on a paintbrush, holding it over your cake, and tapping the brush with your finger.

Lindascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindascakes Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you! Ok, I will call around my area and go with the sprinkle technique! Perfect.

Thanks,
Linda thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%