Cake Circles

Decorating By newcakemommy Updated 23 Aug 2006 , 4:06am by cakesbyjess

newcakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemommy Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:12am
post #1 of 9

Hi cc.
I have a question about stacked cakes and cake circles. Are the cardboard circles always covered with something like contact paper or sometimes left uncovered? My concern was with greasy circles and perhaps drying out the cake? Thanks so much.

8 replies
newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 6:15am
post #2 of 9

My cake instructor indicated that for appearances sake it's much better to cover the cardboard w/ foil - the last thing you want to see is the cardboard absorbing the grease/oils from the frosting, so detracting from what would otherwise be a lovely cake.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 10:22am
post #3 of 9

I agree with newlywedws I always cover mine otherwise you get grease etc. One time i didn't cover it and when i took the top tier off some of the board was stuck to the icing!!! Luckily it was with close family and we had a good laugh about it. I've covered the board since then!!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 10:32am
post #4 of 9

I think grease marks can make a cake look sloppy - I always cover the board - just my $.02.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 9

I never cover my cake boards because I like to use the edge as a guide for the spatula to make my cakes sides very smooth. I then put the cake onto a base which is covered. The boards have never gotten soggy or failed to support the cake in any way. So I guess if you don't like the look of the cardboard when you cut the cake, you could cover it, but for me I think its an unnecessary step. At that point people are looking at the slice on their plates and they're on to the tasting portion of the show.

newcakemommy Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the tips!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 9

The place where I buy my cake supplies sells thinner waxed boards and thicker unwaxed boards. The waxed boards do not need to be wrapped because they don't absorb grease. The unwaxed boards do need to be wrapped. So, if you don't want to wrap the boards, you may want to look for the waxed ones.

newcakemommy Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:53am
post #8 of 9

Thanks cakesbyjess, I didn't know those were out there! I will definately look for them.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%