What Makes Your Business So Special? Lots Of Questions...

Business By Cindy-loo Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm by Cindy-loo

Cindy-loo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy-loo Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

This isn't a snobbery question so please don't take offense. I'm just curious to know what bakers/cake decorators feel sets their business apart from all the rest?

Keep in mind there are no wrong answers.

Basically- I want to know what compliments do you hear most from your customers?

For example:

1. Where does your value come from?

2. Have you tapped into a local market where a cake artist was not previously available?

3. Were the local bakeries lacking skills and experience and you can fill the need?

4. Are you known for a particular style, or price, or special flavour, or meticulous attention to all the details, go beyond the call of duty, etc?

5. Are you able to create unique pieces that no one else around can do?

6. Is the need for signature cakes large enough in your area to support two or more artists?

7. Have you "paid your dues" and have a solid and well known reputation (ie. been doing this for 20 years etc.)?

8. Do you focus your ingredients on supporting local businesses (ie. local dairy, berry farm, flour mill, etc)?

9. Are you fun to work with?

10. Is there passion and drive evident in your work?

11. Are you "professional" in your business ethics?

12. Do you have a background in marketing, design, business, teaching, or any thing else that may contribute to your cake business to make it stronger?

13. What's your mission statement (if you have one)?

Honestly, I'm just curious to know what you think makes you stand out.
Maybe you just enjoy making people happy. Maybe you got tired of working for "the man" and decided to work for yourself. Maybe your grandmother baked and has passed the tradition to you. As I mentioned, there are no wrong answers.

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7

Our whole philosophy is "we keep it simple" for the bride ..... simple in process, simple foods, simple in price. We don't believe you have to spend a fortune to have a nice, elegant wedding ... and we help brides see how that can be accomplished.

I dont' lose money with that concept. FOr example, I always share my 60% Rule with them. When a bride can be shown how NOT to spend money on people who are NOT going to be there, then she finds she now has the money to get that chocolate fountain she didn't think she could afford. She actually spent the same money, but tells all of her friends that I "saved" her money.

When I say simple foods, I mean we offer delicious food that are basic. So many brides tell us stories of how they are looking at fancy-dancy menus and they've no idea, by the menu description, of what the food is! We keep it simple ..... and we get lots of compliments of how good our food is, which I never take for granted. At one wedding, my staff came back into the kitchen 3 times to pull me out front because a guest wanted them to FIND ME so they could compliment the food and the service.

I do not consider the really really expensive caterers my competition because I do not try to compete with them. What they do, they do VERY well and I would be a fool to try to one-up them. We selected a niche market ..... brides on a limited budget who cannot afford $20,000 and up for a wedding. While I call it a "niche" market, it is my personal belief that this is the majority market!

I don't offer 25 different flavors or fillings. I dont' do NEAR the artistic work that I see here on CC. It's basic .... simple. And I find brides aren't LOOKING for exotic and weird/different flavors. They want a basic, good tasting, well decorated cake. And we offer that.

Am I fun to work with? Oh, baby, yes I am!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Passion and drive? Out the ying-yang!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Attention to detail? Let one of my staff tell you about the lecture I gave them because the crackers were in the tray upside down! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

But on the serious side, feedback from my brides indicate that when they see how much I care about what I do, how much I care about weddings, how much I know about receptions, then they trust me enough to put their reception in my hands. I'm not out to get them to spend all of their money ..... I'm there to help them get the most from their money. I'm very flexible, when possible, and they like that. I'm not just another brick wall they keep running into. I care about THEIR wedding! Not just their cake, not just their chicken, but their wedding.

My background is 25 years in customer service and sales/marketing positions, including supervision and management positions, where I learned to deal with outrageous customer demands; positions that gave me experience and a background in sales, marketing, pricing, cost structure, overhead, production control, margins, trade shows, sales materials (brochures, displays, etc). I have been very blessed to have learned all of this for "free" .... just thru my various jobs and positions.

I invite you to visit my "comments from my brides" page on my website: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page16.html I am forever humbled everytime I receive a comment from them. I am one of the fortunate few who can earn a living doing something she loves.

Well, gosh, I guess you can tell that I like to talk about myself!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif But I LUV what I do .... I LUV working with my brides .... I LUV being able to spend an afternoon at a wedding every weekend!

May I never take it for granted or assume it will always be there. It's a lot of work ... and I luv every minute of it.

I am so looking forward to seeing more responses on this thread!!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 7

I'm always offering a lot of flavors to customers. And a few flavors are available only by me, because I've came up with them, by mixing a few other recipes together. (and with CC help too) I'm the only one in my town to use fondant (MMF).
And I soooo enjoy what I do! I'm not the best, I know that I still need to learn a LOT of things and practice more, but I'm doing fine!

Can't wait to hear what others have to say...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

Pootchi, the only one who does fondant? Wow, that really puts you in the drivers seat! what a great position to be in!

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #5 of 7

Well first of all I LOVE what i do....LOVE IT,LOVE IT.......and well its not all about the money and I think people can sense that.(dont get me wrong I do like money icon_lol.gif )

I only bake from scratch... which is my big thing.If ya want a box cake you can bake it yourself.I guess Im more of a baker than anything else....

There are other bakeries around but I dont worry about it, because there is ENOUGH business to go around....and if one door closes another always opens!!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:30am
post #6 of 7

Each person in life has a niche, something they do they may set them apart from others, for me, it is the desire to do an outstanding job and step back, look at my work, and be proud. I am especially grateful for the customers that tell me that everything was wonderful and that they would recommend me to others. I am a very serious person, driven by perfection. I treat others with respect and demand the same in return. I maintain extreme professionalism with a twist of "mom", meaning compassion, understanding and honesty. I have been in the food industry for over 40 years, a degree in psycology and business. I have managed full service establishments with over 200 employees, and have worked for myself for the last 15 years. I am a witch when it comes to preparing food, I want it fresh and attractive. Since I also cater, I offer clients simple to elegant service. " I do what I say, and say what I do". My clients seem very comfortable and relaxed with my approach. I offer a number of flavors, but don't overwhelm them with choices. Keeping it simple is always best. I keep myself very organized and document every phone call, e-mail or snail mail. I want that client to feel completely confident in their choice of using my services. I go the 110%. I like staying in control, it helps to keep me focused. Everything I do is from scratch, I do not buy pre-made items and I lothe the convience foods. I might create more work, but I know that when I put a product out its good, fresh and appealing, something alot of folks cannot say. I have rambled enough and hope this answers some of your questions.

Cindy-loo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy-loo Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

Very personal responses and I think it's wonderful you know and believe what makes you stand out. Refreshing and inspiring to hear and I would have no doubt that customers would recognize your assets- thank you for replying.

Keep them coming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%