Melting Chocolate?

Sugar Work By KellyAnne1284 Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 11:52am by CandyLady

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 11

HI there! I'm making chess pieces with molds and I'm melting my chocolate in a double boiler. I've never really worked with chocolate and I'm wondering - do I HAVE to thin it with crisco? I find that it's changing the taste and texture of my chocolate and these pieces are not only for show on top of a chess board cake, but I also want them to taste good. Any suggestions?

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 11

Here's a comprehensive thread on tempering chocolate, using candy coating, best chocolate for molds, along with tempering cheat and more:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-229031-.html

HTH

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 11

I've never used crisco in any of my molds, and I use the wafers. They have all come out perfectly.

Just be very careful using a double boiler. You don't want to get any kind of water, steam, etc. in your chocolate.

Good luck!!

Holly

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 11

I like to do things the easy way; I use candy melts and use paramount crystals to thin the chocolate (dont' use crisco or water).

Buttafli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttafli Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:20am
post #6 of 11

What are "paramount Crystals and where do you find them? icon_confused.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttafli

What are "paramount Crystals and where do you find them? icon_confused.gif

Here is a link to paramount crystals from Country Kitchens: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619062

I get mine from a local cake decorating store. As a substitute, you can use Crisco.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 11

I use the paramount crystals all the time. I prefer the chocolate more runny, so I use 1/2 Cup paramount crystals to 1 lb chocolate melts. It adds to the shine and texture of the finished product. icon_biggrin.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 11

I didn't know about paramount crystals... I'll have to use them the next time I need to melt and mold chocolate. Thanks!!!

Buttafli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttafli Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:52am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the resources. 1 more ? Do you have to use a specific brand of chocolate or does it work with all brands. Ok one more, lol. Does the paramount crystals make it easier to dip? I find that when I make the cake balls ( thanks to a recipe on cc) I have a hard time melting large amounts of chocolate at once.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 11:52am
post #11 of 11

I have been making candies for year....I jsut melt chocolate in my microwave.....Start at 1 and stir then only at 15 second intervals. I then cover my old electric food warming trays with a couple layers of paper towels and the chocolate stays melted while working with it. You can also use a covered heating pad or sit it in an electric fry pan with an inch of warm water...do not get any water in chocolate though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%