Dragees Anyone?

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 6:02am by itsacake

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 25

I was just wondering if anyone in Cali needed Dragees? I have found a place I can get them and I would send them to you if you want me too, just keep it a secret icon_smile.gif I can silver, gold, and the multi colors! Just let me know via PM....

24 replies
Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

I was just wondering if anyone in Cali needed Dragees? I have found a place I can get them and I would send them to you if you want me too, just keep it a secret icon_smile.gif I can silver, gold, and the multi colors! Just let me know via PM....

this is soooooooooooooo wrong on sooooooooooooooo many levels! icon_eek.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 25

yeah just figured I would post to see if anyone would bite because someone asked a while bag, I figured I would help if anyone needed it. No one asked, so guess I won't offer, sorry to offend!

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 25

omg where did you find them?????? pm me and let me know. i have been desperatly trying to find some!!!!

SugarBakerz Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 25

it is hard to be nice to people sometimes. I don't understand it being wrong to offer to help someone... thought it may be illegal to buy them in california it isn't illegal for someone to drive to nevada next door and buy them and bring them back, so why would it be illegal for me to mail them.... that was my thought process, just saving someone $3.50 a gallon in gas to drive to the next state.... again, if anyone is interested pm me if I am doing something wrong I am certain Jackie and Heath will correct me and if so I apologize in advance. I have seen on this site more than once people asking others to send them if they can them for them and I don't mind as I have found a local distributor, so again... if anyone needs them and get them Cali or anyone else for that matter please PM me and I will do my best to help you out.. thanks so much!

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 25

why is it liiegal to buy them ? I must have missed something

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 25

i don't see anything wrong with offering to help. i am going to keep this post in mind for the colored ones. i'm not in Cali but all i can find are silver and gold here and even then it's a 3 hour drive for the closest place to get them. my mom was at that store a few months ago and picked me up 6 bags of the silver that i needed for a wedding, only used 1/2 a bag but i have extra now lol and wouldn't you know i will need gold in a few month so i'll be making a trip up there sometime between now and December when i need them.
thanks for offering to help and again, i see nothing wrong with trying to help others.
Amy

tonyab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyab Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 25

SugarBakerz...
I dont see anything wrong with the offer. Another CC'er offered to send them to me at one time too! I also have a friend that lives in Nevada and sends them to me as needed. Alot of us grew up eating plenty of Dragees on Cookies, Cakes and Cupcakes and the amazing thing is is that we are all still alive and well to talk about it! Too bad that Napa, California lawyer didnt have anything better to do with his time. If Dragees are that deadly then they should be illegal in all states not just some. I wonder what the penalty is if you were caught by the Dragee police for being in possession of them! icon_eek.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:32am
post #9 of 25

ok, someone finally decided they needed My help and will now have dragees over on southern western coast icon_smile.gif offer still stands folkey dolks.... so if you need some, pm me...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 25

i don't get it...are dragees illegal in some states?? icon_confused.gif if so, why?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 25

this is the original story about why no dragees in California

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

SugarBakerz Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 25

Ok, here is a picture of the actual dragees that I am able to get icon_smile.gif Just wanted to post them and them in comparison to my pepper shaker icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 12:40am
post #13 of 25

It was generous of you to offer. icon_smile.gif No, their not illegal. I live in the SF Bay Area and pretty much all the cake stores sell them. Hard to find the multi colored ones though. They're sure pretty. I just bought some elongated ones to use on my Southwest themed cookies as part of the necklaces. Also, here is the web address to the FDA web site that addresses this issue. (I saw the SF article too).

http://www.fda.gov/ora/compliance_ref/cpg/cpgfod/cpg545-200.html
LL

SugarBakerz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:18pm
post #14 of 25

fairytale are yours dragees are or sugarpearls/jimmies?

Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

fairytale are yours dragees are or sugarpearls/jimmies?

Yes, they are dragees. The cookies look rather small in the picture but in reality they're 4" and the dragees are rather large. The oblong dragee is about 1/2 inch long. Their just as shiney as a mirror. (Their also rather expensive too).

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 25

This is from a cake supply website:

" Dragees have been banned in the state of California and it is illegal for us to ship them there. If you place an order to be shipped to California, the dragees will be omitted from your order and you will not be charged for the dragees."

Basically, an idiot lawyer got a bee in his bonnet over this a few years back--story here: http://boifromtroy.com/?p=314

The lawyer filed papers and sent letters to large cake supply places, grocery stores, etc. threatening to sue them if they didn't stop selling/shipping/supplying dragees. Most shops didn't want the legal hassle so they gave up and stopped carrying them. He did successfullyTsue some who didn't bend to his demand.

So, they're sort of "black market" stuff in CA. I'd also guess that there'd be issues using them on a cake and then having someone "remember" that they're banned, but I don't know this for certain.

They're also "illegal" in TEXAS, COLORADO, NEW JERSEY, ARIZONA, FLORIDA, per the sugarcraft.com website.

Rae

Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

This is from a cake supply website:

" Dragees have been banned in the state of California and it is illegal for us to ship them there. If you place an order to be shipped to California, the dragees will be omitted from your order and you will not be charged for the dragees."

Basically, an idiot lawyer got a bee in his bonnet over this a few years back--story here: http://boifromtroy.com/?p=314

The lawyer filed papers and sent letters to large cake supply places, grocery stores, etc. threatening to sue them if they didn't stop selling/shipping/supplying dragees. Most shops didn't want the legal hassle so they gave up and stopped carrying them. He did successfullyTsue some who didn't bend to his demand.

So, they're sort of "black market" stuff in CA. I'd also guess that there'd be issues using them on a cake and then having someone "remember" that they're banned, but I don't know this for certain.

They're also "illegal" in TEXAS, COLORADO, NEW JERSEY, ARIZONA, FLORIDA, per the sugarcraft.com website.

Rae

This information is absolutely incorrect. They are not illegal in Calif. I live in California and have researched this extensively.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:17pm
post #18 of 25

THE INFORMATION IS NOT INCORRECT. The sources for my information can be found by easily using Google. This issue has been around since the late nineties and re-surfaced again in 2003.

You can argue that "illegal" or banned is too strong a term, but the effect is the same. Retailers and cake decorators alike are fearful of a lawsuit being brought by against them because of the success of the original litigation process. As a result of this overly aggressive lawyer, fear and diminished supply is a fact.

Into The Oven states on their website:
"We choose not to ship these items to California because of recent lawsuits in that state."

http://www.overlawyered.com/archives/000646.html

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18702

Amy Sherman from Cooking With Amy (states) that while dragees still aren't for sale in California, they can be legally brought in to the state. Amy smuggles her dragees in to San Francisco via Seattle.

Rae

Fairytale Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:42pm
post #19 of 25

I stand by my statement. Your information is incorrect. You are getting it from nongovernment web sites.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:24pm
post #20 of 25

Fine, post your well researched information, then.

I NEVER said that the government of CA said that dragees couldn't be used.

I stated that perhaps "illegal and banned" are too strong terms.

I stated that the dragees are in short supply in CA because of the threat of future lawsuits.

I posted links showing that reputable cake supply vendors do not ship to, or sell in, CA--presumably in response to nothing more than the threat of a lawsuit.

From the San Francisco Chronicle, Dec. 2003

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

"But Napa lawyer Mark Pollock takes silver dragees very seriously. He started suing to force dragees off the California market when he was a Solano County prosecutor in the early 1990s, and got the spice giant McCormick to stop selling them in the state. Now an environmental lawyer in private practice, he sprang back into action last spring (2003) when dragees surged back into vogue after Martha Stewart used them on holiday cookies.

Pollock sued Stewart, gourmet food purveyor Dean and DeLuca, India Tree and about two dozen other distributors and retailers. As of Monday, Pollock said all but one had settled, agreeing to stop selling silver cake decorations in California, and the last was about to sign. Settlement amounts are confidential. "

Don't just say I'm "incorrect"--prove that WHAT I'VE POSTED--and ONLY what I've posted--is wrong/incorrect!

Rae

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 25

I think if you check a few suppliers websites, like Sugarcraft, Country Kitchens, Maids of Scandinavia, they won't ship to California because they are illegal.

I've also checked with my local cake decorating supply stores, and the local Health dept. I was told the same thing - illegal in California.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:53am
post #22 of 25

I think it is easier for the cake supply stores to say that metalic dragees are illegal or banned, but in fact hey are just trying to stay out of this lawyers raidar. They don't want to be the next victims in a lawsuit. He picked the right state to wage this war in. People here love to sue and can win in the most rediculous circumstances. So really you can have your dragees and eat them to (if you want) but just be prepared for a possible lawsuit, if you put them on a cake for sale. There are no laws against owning dragees, you can get them in other states and countries and bring them home.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:39am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale

I stand by my statement. Your information is incorrect. You are getting it from nongovernment web sites.

Read the information from the site you posted VERY carefully.

I am pretty sure what it says is dragees can be used for decorative purposes only. As decoration they do not fall in to the category as a food item. The issue at hand is consumption. If they are intended for the purpose of consumption that's a NO-NO where the FDA is concerned.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:55am
post #24 of 25

Hum, looks like all of America better not make that cake in Lindsy Smith's book called Pink Sparkle. It's covered in an assorted sizes of drages including heart shaped ones and is so clean and elegant. Oh well, next they'll outlaw dusts as well!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:02am
post #25 of 25

I spoke to Chef Rubber at Cake Camp last year. His business used to be in California, but he moved it (and himself) to Nevada where life is less of a hassle. We got to talking about dragees and the fact that they are hard to find in California shops and that most online vendors won't ship them into California. He told the same story about the lawyer suing people as a scare tactic and he said there was no law against selling them or shipping them so he'd be happy to ship to California. So if you want dragees, http://www.chefrubber.com/Shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%