I Was Very Offened!!!

Decorating By Belovedeve Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 6:47am by cupcake

Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:57am
post #1 of 16

I was sitting at work reading the JUne 29 -july 6th additon of entertainment weekly. I foumd this list of 32 things we hate. I admit alot of this things were funny like number 5 perter parker's emo hair cut in spirderman 3 (emo parker lmao sorry joke within my fam) and number 1 about how they were covering Paris Hilton's arrest on CNN and how there were more important things in the world...but the one that got me to shead a lil tear was number 30 and I quote "Reality shows about mundane professions: the ace of cakes! what's next the spackler's challenge?' now what the *explintative deleted* is up with that?!!! I thought that was wroth sharing icon_mad.gif

15 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:04am
post #2 of 16

icon_eek.gif Cake decorating is a mundane profession??????

Gee...what's that make being a banker or working in a call center???

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:08am
post #3 of 16

HEY! icon_evil.gif

Those are my favorite kind of shows:
Ace of Cakes
Top Chef
Hell's Kitchen
FoodTV cake & candy challenges
Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (BBC)
Next Food Tv network star

etc... etc... etc...

Barb

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:09am
post #4 of 16

Oh nice....well hey I have gotten several orders from people who watch "Ace of Cakes" and want a cool cake that's a bit closer to home and a bit cheaper than Duff's.

If nothing else, its helped get the word out for some of us decorators!

LaSombra Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:12am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaranoel

HEY! icon_evil.gif

Those are my favorite kind of shows:
Ace of Cakes
Top Chef
Hell's Kitchen
FoodTV cake & candy challenges
Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (BBC)
Next Food Tv network star

etc... etc... etc...

Barb

My husband and I watch Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef together icon_biggrin.gif He's a kitchen manager at Applebee's so we both like those kinds of shows. Food Network is one channel we can both watch. His favorite chef on there? Bobby Flay icon_biggrin.gif The best was Throwdown with Bobby Flay when he went up against the cake baker/decorator...then he lost icon_wink.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:12am
post #6 of 16

Mundane? Does the person who wrote that realize how many people eat cake? lol (sorry made me think of Marie Antoinette) lol I would like to see that writer even try to make a cake let alone buy one from one of the more famous bakers. Jeeze where would the world be without cake? I've never seen any one put a candle in a steak or a tomatoe. I dont see everyone taking wedding pictures beside the fruit platter. Jeeze to be honest I think the writer's job is pretty mundane. lol

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:13am
post #7 of 16

But cake decorating is much more interesting than sitting around making up ficticious lists poking fun at others just to see your name in print. Was that profession anywhere on there? It should be! I bet the author would take that a little personally though. Anyone can sit around and make fun of others, it takes talent to do cake decorating!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #8 of 16

If we are talking reality shows I can think of ALOT of more lame ones than Ace of Cakes...

Of course I don't go for the "American Idol"/ "Survivor" sort of thing...

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:17am
post #9 of 16

Ditto,barbaranoel!Those are my favorites too!OK Mundane profession...hmmm...Thats what we are until they want a $300 cake made for $75.

LaSombra Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksMommy

But cake decorating is much more interesting than sitting around making up ficticious lists poking fun at others just to see your name in print. Was that profession anywhere on there? It should be! I bet the author would take that a little personally though. Anyone can sit around and make fun of others, it takes talent to do cake decorating!

I just don't get how he can call cake decorating mundane.

From dictionary.com:
mun·dane /mʌnˈdeɪn, ˈmʌndeɪn/ Pronunciation Key - [muhn-deyn, muhn-deyn] Pronunciation Key -
adjective
1.  of or pertaining to this world or earth as contrasted with heaven; worldly; earthly: mundane affairs.
2.  common; ordinary; banal; unimaginative.
3.  of or pertaining to the world, universe, or earth.

There are so many jobs out there, the vast majority, that could be considered mundane. Cake decorating is definitely not one of them. This guy needs to go back to school and take a vocab class before he should continue being a professional writer.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:39am
post #11 of 16

I think there are a lot of reality shows that need to go....Ace of Cakes--NOT one of them!

Hmm, personally, Big Brother, Survivor and American Idol.....for starters.

LaSombra Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:41am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi4tpc

I think there are a lot of reality shows that need to go....Ace of Cakes--NOT one of them!

I agree. There are quite a few boring/old reality shows but Ace of Cakes...well, I wouldn't really call it a "reality" show per se. I mean yeah, it's a real place and all but there aren't contests or saving a certain person's love life or wardrob or anything going on. It's on the Food Network and it's about one food place but I wouldn't consider it a "reality" show.

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 9:19pm
post #13 of 16

Last I checked, it takes a lot of creativity to make a cake. I thought mundane was the opposite of creative, I must be mistaken. I'm always in awe of Duff's cakes (and the ones I see on here). I would never call cake decorating "mundane". Now my job is mundane, I sterilize equipment at a hospital, there is not a lot of room for creativity there. Is it important? yes. Could it make it on the show "Dirty Jobs"? probably, but it is most definately mundane.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:04am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi4tpc

I agree. There are quite a few boring/old reality shows but Ace of Cakes...well, I wouldn't really call it a "reality" show per se. I mean yeah, it's a real place and all but there aren't contests or saving a certain person's love life or wardrob or anything going on. It's on the Food Network and it's about one food place but I wouldn't consider it a "reality" show.

I'm weird - I LOVE some of these reality shows, but not American Idol nor Survivor - never watched an episode of either as a matter of fact...

BUT... I LOVE

House Hunters
Ace of Cakes
Top Chef
What is that fashion designer one for a spot at Fashion Week? LOVE that show too

and like a dork, I liked "Grease, the one that you want" because I LOVE musicals! LOL

Melissa

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:36am
post #15 of 16

If it is sooo mundane, then he can rub my feet afterwards until I am satisfied that they won't hurt next time I take a step! 15 hours working on a wedding cake is NOT my idea of mundane!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 6:47am
post #16 of 16

When I first got dish I was so excited to have all the food programming, but it has all gotten rather boring now. I rarely watch it anymore. All the reality shows are a waste of time. The networks must think we have nothing better to do, and that we must be entertained by a bunch of ingrates. sorry...but I miss the quality of good entertainment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%