Which Pan To Buy

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 2:24pm by susanmm23

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:08am
post #1 of 15

Ok i want to buy a sports ball pan. Wiltons makes the 3d pan and they also make the soccer ball pan which can be decorated to look like the other balls as well. Which one is better to buy? Can you make two soccer ball cake and put them together to make a 3d pan??? Obviously you can only make half of the 3d sports ball pan. which one is easier to use???? thanks for the help.

14 replies
curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:52am
post #2 of 15

The 3D sports ball pan is small when compared to the soccer ball pan. I have both but have only baked a "half" ball using the 3d. It was fairly easy to use. it just takes a little while longer and the first time I tried I overfilled the pan so it overflowed onto the cookie sheet I had put it on.

Cecilia

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 3:57am
post #3 of 15

I'd get the 3D ball...it'll have more uses. Both sides together (the ball)serve twelve while the soccer ball (half) serves 12 alone and I think it would make kind of a flat ball if you were to put two of them together. It might be too much weight...might not hold up. Plus, you'd have to buy two of them to bake up a ball at one time. If you want a cake that is a half ball but larger than the 3D ball half, you can use a pyrex bowl and get nearly the same shape as the soccer ball.

susanmm23 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:14am
post #4 of 15

i think i will go with the 3d sports ball pan. For some reason though i thought it was bigger. Besides the obvious variations(sp) of balls what other uses have you found for the 3d sports ball pan?????

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:23am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

i think i will go with the 3d sports ball pan. For some reason though i thought it was bigger. Besides the obvious variations(sp) of balls what other uses have you found for the 3d sports ball pan?????

You can use that pan to make a teapot cake, can't you? I haven't tried it yet.. I actually just baked my first ball cake in the 3d sports ball pan, it is sitting on my counter cooling as I speak icon_smile.gif , but I believe I read that that's the pan you use for the teapot.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:27am
post #6 of 15

for fathers day i plan on making some sort of golf theme cake for my father and dh. In october i am making a soccer cake for my nephew. My best friends son plays baseball so we planned on making him a baseball cake at then end of the season. So i know i will be making plenty of ball cakes but it would be cool to have other ideas for using the pan. The teapot is cute but i dont have anyone to make it for yet.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:47am
post #7 of 15

I totally agree with Lisa.... I want the sports pan too!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:57am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

I've seen it made into a 3D fish...really cute, a turtle (1/2), a gumball machine, eyeball, crystal ball, snowman...

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:58am
post #9 of 15

Hi Susan, I've seen a space theme cake with half of a ball shape that was a starship! Oh, also, somebody here at cc did a cinderella carriage and it looks like they used the ball for that!

Over the hill; a ladybug; a pincushion; a pumpkin; a turtle; the dome on a castle; maybe even Builder Bob's head! LOL

I'm just going through all my saved photos for these! Lots of possibilities, this is another pan that I am wanting to get as well! Janice

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 4:59am
post #10 of 15

yeah, how many of those were yours? Those sound so creative!!!!!!!!!! I miss all of my stuff already...even though I didnt use the pans much...I wish they were here!

susanmm23 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 6:56am
post #11 of 15

what great ideas janice...... my boys would love the eyeball oh boy i cant wait im going to go buy it tomorrow.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 12:09pm
post #12 of 15

I like the eyeball idea too, my grandson would love it! I can't claim any of these cakes, I just have a tremendous collection of photos for inspiration!

The space one, the ball is blue (1/2) with a little starship attached to it, really cute.

I have a 50% off from Joann's for today and one for Saturday, maybe I'll get this pan with one of those! Janice

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 12:28pm
post #13 of 15

You could make a variety of things with this mold: a hat, a ball a of string , a world globe, a head, a fish, an octupus, with half of it you can make a little boat a frog, an owl, a basket, use for a small mountain with rolloer coaster rides, a ladybug.... the possibilities are endless.

Wandy

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 15
susanmm23 Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 2:24pm
post #15 of 15

thanks you guys it settled im going to buy it today. I cant wait to use it this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%