Carving A Cake

Decorating By grama_j Updated 3 Jul 2007 , 10:49pm by katwomen1up

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 21

What is the best cake to use for making a 3-D or carved cake ?

20 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 21

A very, very dense cake. I usually make pound cakes. Spice cakes work really well also. In a pinch I have made the durable recipe using a mix the recipe is on this website. HTH

grama_j Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 21

Thanks tiptop..... I see that they use those two on the Food Network, but they dono't eat those contest cakes, and they always look really dry. I want to try a 3-D in the county Fair this year.... guess I'll have to see if I can find one that tastes as good as it looks ! LOL!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #4 of 21

i have no problem carving cake made using the wasc recipe.

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 11:45am
post #5 of 21

I use Betty Crocker's French Vanilla mix, made just like the instructions on the box, and I've never had a problem. But always make sure you carve it after you've frozen it - right out of the freezer. And do it on a cookie sheet, so it catches most of the excess cake and crumbs. The prince pillow and Lightning McQueen cakes, as well as the bulldozer, from my photos were all done this way, using nothing but the regualar cake mix recipe. However, these are all smaller cakes - if you're doing something much larger, you may need a denser cake to hold up. I've also made the 3D big bear cake with one of the "doctored" receipes and the whole thing fell apart. I did it again with the regular cake mix recipe and it worked perfectly. So who knows - maybe I was just lucky! Good luck to you!

jbramble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbramble Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:07am
post #6 of 21

I just made a 49ers helmet cake for a grooms cake, with 4 9"layers on the bottom and a domed layer on top using a 1/2 soccer ball shaped pan. I froze all of the layers first, then stacked (icing between) and carved using a sharp knife. The cake looked great the first day, but by the next day, it started to collapse. The bottom layer was all mushy and just gave out. I don't know if there was too much moisture from the cake thawing...maybe? Or should I have used dowel rods? I will be watching this topic because I need help! Luckily, the cake I made was just practice...the real deal is in two weeks.
Thanks.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:44am
post #7 of 21

watching topic too

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 4:59am
post #8 of 21

anytime you stack a cake it should be doweled every 2 layers, (4') so had you doweled your helmet in the 2 bottom layers, then a new cake board and the next 2 layers it would not have collapsed. at least you will know ready for next time.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 5:53am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramble

I just made a 49ers helmet cake for a grooms cake, with 4 9"layers on the bottom and a domed layer on top using a 1/2 soccer ball shaped pan. I froze all of the layers first, then stacked (icing between) and carved using a sharp knife. The cake looked great the first day, but by the next day, it started to collapse. The bottom layer was all mushy and just gave out. I don't know if there was too much moisture from the cake thawing...maybe? Or should I have used dowel rods? I will be watching this topic because I need help! Luckily, the cake I made was just practice...the real deal is in two weeks.
Thanks.

Carve the cake when frozen then apply a very thin layer of buttercream to keep the crumbs under control and to keep the cake from drying out. Let it sit for about 30 minutes before applying the thicker layer of buttercream.

grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:49am
post #10 of 21

sweetcakes, that is great advice......thanks ! I still haven't decided what to make. I have never done this before and I need to find out from the Fair Board just what the rules are etc...... It is in mid August, so I have time to play a little.....

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:13am
post #11 of 21

I am totally getting into the 3D carved cakes! I just use my regular cake recipe, but they are on the denser side. I also freeze mine and use buttercream or ganache between the layers. The only problem is the cake scraps that I want to eat but shouldnt icon_redface.gif !

For anyone who has not made a 3d cake before, I just made a baseball cap (in my photos) and I thought it was really easy and fun to make. It was much easier than any of the other carved cakes I have made so far. I got the instructions from the confetti cakes cookbook. It would be a great cake to start with!

Good luck!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:14am
post #12 of 21

I agree with sweetcakes! I used a chocolate WASC recipe for my frog prince and I couldn't believe how easy it was to carve. I will definitely use some version of WASC for any carving...that or poundcake!

Good luck on your cake!!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:38am
post #13 of 21

save

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:04pm
post #14 of 21

I also freeze B 4 carving and it does need to be a denser cake or it may crumble if it's big. At least I've had that problem.

Merissa, I just looked at your pic of the cap. That is so real looking, fantastic job!

Kat

grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:17pm
post #15 of 21

Merissa, Your cap is GREAT, just as all your cakes are....... I have half of them in my favorites ! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:21pm
post #16 of 21

Oh thanks guys, youre sweet! icon_redface.gif

mariafun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariafun Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:34pm
post #17 of 21

So much good information! Sorry so new but what is WASC? and DH and DD? Is there an glossary of abrieviations somewhere? I have never carved a cake or made my own MMF for that matter. I'd love to try! Please please keep adding hints Everybody! Us supernewbies appreciate it!

tiptop57 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:59pm
post #18 of 21

Tiptop's top tips, when carving a cake make sure to dowel. When finished doweling then dowel again, and after doweling again, make sure you dowel one more time for good measure. (Many of my cakes, I can turn upside down and they do not budge.)

Again, I can not iterate enough that you need a dense cake or they will collapse or "God forbid" take on a new shape. Freezing only really helps when carving it does not make the cake stronger. Please learn from my mistakes and dont take a chance that some wonderful animal you carved has it's head crumble and it body falls apart form the weight or that a lovely purse you made turn into wallet becasuse it collaped into itself. icon_eek.gif

Remember if you want a light airy cake then just decorate a lovely traditional cake. If you want a carved cake, then use dense non-Americanish traditional cake!

Honestly, after all that work, why take the chance by using the wrong cake?

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:14pm
post #19 of 21

I use the durable cake receipe found on CC. The cakes come out so moist and delicious but really dense. Very easy for carving.

tiptop57 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:54pm
post #20 of 21

Welcome aboard Mariafun and here is the acronym thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html icon_biggrin.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 10:49pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks for the link for the acronyms Tiptop57 icon_biggrin.gif I was wondering what a lot of those meant too. Even though my profile say's I am a member since sometime in 2006 I joined and never started logging in until a few weeks ago. I finally came to my senses and now I'm hooked!

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%