Help Mini Tiered Cake

Decorating By alliebear Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 4:18pm by Destini

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 5

want to make a mini tiered cake for friends b-day... i want the bottom to be 6" the middle to be 4" and the top ro be 3" but how would i go about this without the smaller pans... i have the 6' but not the others and i don't really want to buy them at this point in time ( not until i have my own little basement "studio" set up) but i am worried if i carve them from a sheet or something that the edges with fall apart when crumb coating... i am covering in fondant ... how would i go about this without my edges sticking to the icing and ruining the cake... i will be baking scratch

4 replies
danilis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danilis Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 5

I use a bag and plain tip to put on my crumb coat. The size of the tip would depend on the area needed to be covered. Then gently smooth the icing.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 5

if you thin your crumb coat icing a bit, it will smooth on easier and with a lot less tearing. Too, if you freeze your layer before cutting with a cookie cutter and ice before it's completely thawed is helpful...less breaking off of edges.

If you plan on filling....I would....

freeze slightly, split, fill, stick back into freezer 'til firm, cut out shapes, ice with thinned b/c then cover with fondant.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 5

I'm no expert but from what I understand when carving down a cake do it frozen. Then immediately crumb coat. I just did this with a train cake and it doesn't seem to be falling apart at the sides.

I also don't know if it would be easier but I think it might, maybe carve the smaller out of the 6 inch that way you don't have that much to carve off.

Good luck let me know what you found out.

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 5

It also helps if you use a "sturdier" cake i.e pound, dense chocolate,etc......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%