Decorating By Melvira Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 7:15pm by Hollyanna70

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:27pm
post #91 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by winjobit77

ok guys, i did indeed love the movie, but was a little disappointed that so many things were left out. I guess once you get a picture in your head from reading it is difficult to deal with the movie lol. I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited for book 7 to come out.

That's the problems with movies, I like seeing the movies for the visual stuff but the books are way better. If I see a movie I like that I haven't read the book I often will to catch all the stuff they left out.

FYI -- a general rule of thumb in the move/tv industry ---

1 typewritten page done according to standard script formatting = 1 min of screen time.

so imagine any of HP books typed out like that -- hmm can we say 6 hour+ movies!!?!?!???

---
notable exception to above -- fight scenes --- ex. the script for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's big fight scene (the one in the bamboo grove) simply said "they fight"
----

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:44pm
post #92 of 244

Thanks very much Doug!

Ummm YDG! RG! ???? ( Your dog growled ? really growled! ???) icon_confused.gif

(sorry icon_lol.gif , thanks, I get it!!!)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #93 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancysFancy

Thanks very much Doug!

Ummm YDG! RG! ???? ( Your dog growled ? really growled! ???) icon_confused.gif

(sorry icon_lol.gif , thanks, I get it!!!)

As an English teacher who, when he is "on duty," is noted for being a stickler for very proper grammar, this began as an inside joke between my drama students and me. They knew they had done a truly excellent job when I would break all the rules with:

Ya dun gud! real gud!

Which, like all things it seems anymore in language, got shortened.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:01am
post #94 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancysFancy

Here's my entry for our Harry Potter TOTM.

I always remembered that sad scene in the first movie when Hagrid brought orphaned baby Harry to his horrible relatives -- The Durlseys (That's a tear on Hagrid's cheek) icon_cry.gif

This is a sugar cookie, with all royal icing decor. It's apx. 10" tall.

Nancy--My son was looking over my shoulder and he told me I HAD to tell you that your cookie is incredible. I agree!

RedPanda

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:12am
post #95 of 244

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I WANNA BE NANCY!!! WHY CAN'T I BE NANCY?!?!?! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

But seriously... I'm going to need one of those to confirm that it is actually what you say it is. I am skeptical of...um...let me think... the QUALITY of your work, yah! That's it. I am trying to perform quality control!! icon_twisted.gif

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:22am
post #96 of 244

I did a Harry cake for my sister's birthday last month. She's a HUUUUGE fan so we had to have a HP themed party. Nevermind she was turning 22........hehe, adults like to have fun too, right?? icon_smile.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:38am
post #97 of 244

icon_eek.gif Holy Cow NancysFancy! icon_eek.gif That is.... icon_surprised.gif is..... icon_eek.gif I'm just so.... icon_surprised.gif no words... In a complete good way! thumbs_up.gif I love that cookie!

You do some amazing work! icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:43am
post #98 of 244

Gobsmacked, absolutely gobsmacked !! Nancy, I can't believe that is a cookie !! A very BIG,fantastically detailed, cookie icon_eek.gif
You need to frame it !! icon_lol.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:45am
post #99 of 244

13 and half year old daughter is a huge harry potter fan along iwth my 9 year old boy... both have read the books and seen all the movies thus far.
My daughters room is poster and pics mad of harry and friends as well as a duvet she got a few years back..

Anyways for her 9th birthday she wanted a harry potter theme so i used debbie browns book enchanted cakes and using the magical wizard cake i modified it to be the pic you see below... in the book was a spell saying:
9 stars
9 moons
makes a birthday magic

she loved it as did her friends and my MIL who is also a harry fan and had arrived surprisingly for the party.

Oour whole family loves the Harry movies and have so far seen them all and have on either DVD or Video... ohhh who can resist. hehe.
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #100 of 244

WOWOWOWOW!!! That is one awesome HP cake!! Thank you Ariginal... thank you for sharing that artwork!!

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:02am
post #101 of 244

Thanks guys!! Love all your emoticons icon_lol.gif !!!!!
( Spelled those darn DURSLEYS wrong! icon_razz.gif )

Ariginal---Adorable!! Terrific detail!!!

lanibird Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:08am
post #102 of 244

Ariginal, that is awesome! I love the details with the crest on his robes and Griffindor colors on his sweater and tie!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:37am
post #103 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

mbelgard. try http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Thanks, I'm making more cookies and will try it with those.

Nancy that cookie is AWESOME. I won't show it to my kids because they'd want something like that and there's no way I could do it. icon_cry.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:50am
post #104 of 244

Oh wow, Nancy that Hagrid cookie is awesome! My DS recognized him right away (he's 5) said "I want to eat that cookie!"

Ariginal - Love that cake! Harry looks great with fantastic details. Excellent job! My kids would love a cake like that.

-Lisa

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:59pm
post #105 of 244

Nancy - that is AMAZING work!!! You are such an inspiration! Hagrid looks so real - WOW thumbs_up.gif

Ariginal - love the cake - it is so detailed!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:08pm
post #106 of 244
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniB

this is fantastic!!! Thanks so much for choosing Harry Potter! icon_smile.gif My whole group of friends is basically anti-social the week after a book comes out... we're all at home, reading, and heaven forbid someone CALL or stop by, and interrupt that! I've been known to call in sick to work, in order to finish a book. icon_smile.gif

My oldest child and I are both dying for the book. I get to read it first but I told him I'm doing nothing else that day so he can have it. I'm also going to have something easy on hand for dinner so he can cook, he's 8 and can do a few things. icon_twisted.gif

Why don't you read it togehter? that's what we are doing. We are reading it aloud as a family (seems the most fair way to us).

Melissa

mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:18pm
post #107 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Quote:

Quote:

this is fantastic!!! Thanks so much for choosing Harry Potter! icon_smile.gif My whole group of friends is basically anti-social the week after a book comes out... we're all at home, reading, and heaven forbid someone CALL or stop by, and interrupt that! I've been known to call in sick to work, in order to finish a book. icon_smile.gif

My oldest child and I are both dying for the book. I get to read it first but I told him I'm doing nothing else that day so he can have it. I'm also going to have something easy on hand for dinner so he can cook, he's 8 and can do a few things. icon_twisted.gif

Why don't you read it togehter? that's what we are doing. We are reading it aloud as a family (seems the most fair way to us).

Melissa

Not going to work for him, he wants to read it independently.
That and the last one I read in 8 hours so he won't have long to wait.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:25pm
post #108 of 244

OK, we are invited to a "pre book release" party from Friday... I'm DYING to make a Harry Potter cake. We all just reread the 6th book and have been doing a lot of speculating and we DEFINITELY have Potter fever, so this will help me pass the time! HOWEVER... I can't think of what I want to make!!!

I think the Sorting hat is a cool cake, but HOW would a terrible artist like me do it? My DH is a good artist and I could probably enlist him to make some figures for me (he likes doing things like that). What is the best sculpting material? Eeekkk... so may choices!

Quiditch? Hogwarts Express? The Sorting hat? The Hogwart's Castle? and so on...

The Bertie Botts cake is probably the most doable. Only in my DREAMS could I do something like that amazing Hagrid cookie - OMG!!!

Hmm... for the last book, making a horcrux might be interestig... using the heart cake pan to make a golden locket and using gum paste to make the chain of the locket? Hmmm... I might go that route!!! What was supposed to be inside the locket? was there anything (already forgetting!) Some Slytherin symbol... I'll have to research that a bit more!

Melissa

P.S. Snape is a good guy, I'm SURE, but WHY did Dumbledore want Snape to be the one to kill him? Just to show Voldemort even more how "bad" he was? I'm sure Dumbledore knew he was getting weaker and older and was close to dying, but why Snape??? THAT's my biggest question right now! That, and I'm pretty sure the last Horcrux is harry's scar which was inadvertantly put on Harry (and the true reason why Voldemort lost his power - he lost too much of his soul to function).

Like my guesses! LOL (Can you tell I'm obsessed? LOL)

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:31pm
post #109 of 244
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Melissa

Not going to work for him, he wants to read it independently.
That and the last one I read in 8 hours so he won't have long to wait.

LOL My son is somewhat the same - he wants to read it first, but it would take him a few days and well, we aren't WILLING TO WAIT! He's already said that he wants us to read all day long... Umm... ad what do we do with the 2 year old I asked? He said, "Send him to grandma's house!" LOL! I guess he's excited about it!

Melissa

mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:59pm
post #110 of 244
Quote:

LOL My son is somewhat the same - he wants to read it first, but it would take him a few days and well, we aren't WILLING TO WAIT! He's already said that he wants us to read all day long... Umm... ad what do we do with the 2 year old I asked? He said, "Send him to grandma's house!" LOL! I guess he's excited about it!

Melissa

I have a 4 year old at home and he might listen to part of it but I don't think he'd be very happy if we spent the whole day reading it. icon_lol.gif
I don't feel bad about me getting the book first anyway. We're buying it, I'm the fastest reader, I will be able to discuss the book with my child as he reads it and I can claim that I'm screening for content since he's a little young to be reading them anyway. icon_twisted.gif I'm not really screening for content but if there's something he needs to ask questions about I've already read it and will have answers (he's only icon_cool.gif.

lanibird Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:43pm
post #111 of 244
Quote:

P.S. Snape is a good guy

I'm with you on that one. icon_biggrin.gif

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:50pm
post #112 of 244

OK, I'm FOR SURE going to make the Slytherin Locket. I found the image online (It's the cover of the 7th book in the UK).

Now... if I'm going to spray it with gold luster dust using the home depot contraption, what color should I color the fondant or buttercream?

Second, what should I use to make the emeralds? The only thing coming to me right now is smashed lime candy pieces! LOL Anything more , um, elegant out there? LOL

Now, I've NEVER used fondant, so this should be interesting! LOL I'm still thinking engraving the design would be impossible, right? Should I just pipe it?

This should be fun!

Mrswalters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrswalters Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:06pm
post #113 of 244

This is so exciting. I love the idea of the locket, that should be just lovely. I personally loved the movie, but then again I went into it expecting it to not be as good as the book because I mean come on how could it be JK Rowling is a genius. I've pre-ordered the book and I am picking it up at the midnight release party on Friday night(I am actually in the process of making a cloak to wear to the release party icon_redface.gif ). I can't wait and am so excited. By husband has just deferred the book to me to read first because he knows I will be through by the next day. All of ya'lls creations are amazing. Keep them coming.

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #114 of 244

Wow!!! I LOVE the things I've seen so far!!!! I am a TOTAL Potter Head!!! I'm taking my middle son (oldest is at camp) to the Book Release Party at Border's this Friday night!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!! I personally love ALL of the movies..tho I love the books more...but I just think of the movies as "enhancement" to my books. icon_surprised.gif) I'm wearing a T-Shirt Friday night that says..."Weasley Is Our King" LMBO!!!!!!

mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:21pm
post #115 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by captrick

Wow!!! I LOVE the things I've seen so far!!!! I am a TOTAL Potter Head!!! I'm taking my middle son (oldest is at camp) to the Book Release Party at Border's this Friday night!!! I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!! I personally love ALL of the movies..tho I love the books more...but I just think of the movies as "enhancement" to my books. icon_surprised.gif) I'm wearing a T-Shirt Friday night that says..."Weasley Is Our King" LMBO!!!!!!

That's kind of how I think of the movies, I watch them knowing they won't be as good but I want to see the visual stuff on it.

I still haven't seen the new movie but a review I saw said it wasn't as good at Azkaban icon_confused.gif and I wanted to know what others thought. The reviewer thinks Azkaban is the best of the five and it's my least favorite.

Is anyone else kind of dreading this last book. I can't wait but at the same time it's been so fun waiting for the next one so you can see what happens in the latest book.

berryblondeboys Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #116 of 244

We didn't like the last movie either (as much). Most reviews I've heard said it's better than the last movie - go figure.

I'm sort of dreading the end too... this suspense for YEARS has been fun! I was just thinkig what a phenomenon this is. I mean, my 11 year old only went through "part" of it as he was too young initially, but there is NO WAY for him to know what's next which is unlike the Tolkien books. You can know quite easily what happens and then just read the story to see the process.

Our younger son who is 2, will have all seven books and movies at the ready when he's old enough to enjoy them. He will probably know the ending because everyone will have read/seen it. He'll be readig just for the story.

With that said, the story telling is SUPERB. She "gets" the teen mind surprisingly well... I mean, look how Harry was saving the Lucky potion to get a lucky day with Ginny instead of thinking of saving his hide from the death eaters and voldemort? ALL HORMONES which is so typical!

Melissa

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:07pm
post #117 of 244

I just want to thank all you lovely CCers for your compliments on my cake pic i put in here.... and wanted to say WOW love the Hagrid cookie... wish i could do that i have never made cookies well those sort hehe..

Anyway there is so much harry potter love in here lol.... we have our book on prepaid thing at our local bookshop so i dont have to worry bout the queues as it is set aside for us yay!!!!

Enjoy all your harry potter fun people and we look forward to seeing all your creative flair...

lanibird Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:10pm
post #118 of 244
Quote:

I still haven't seen the new movie but a review I saw said it wasn't as good at Azkaban icon_confused.gif and I wanted to know what others thought. The reviewer thinks Azkaban is the best of the five and it's my least favorite.

Is anyone else kind of dreading this last book. I can't wait but at the same time it's been so fun waiting for the next one so you can see what happens in the latest book.

Ugh, I hated, HATED, what they did to Azkaban! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif That is my favorite book in the series thus far. Phoenix was better, I feel. They did have a lot to cram in (and I remember reading somewhere that it was the shortest movie so far icon_confused.gif ) but I feel they stayed a little truer to the plot than Azkaban and Goblet.

I am absolutely terrified for Deathly Hallows! icon_lol.gif But still really looking forward to it. Cannot make it to a release party, too many small young 'uns icon_razz.gif , but I'll be sitting by my door waiting for the UPS man to bring me my copy from Amazon that I pre-ordered they day it's release was announced! icon_biggrin.gif

mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 10:21pm
post #119 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

Ugh, I hated, HATED, what they did to Azkaban! icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif That is my favorite book in the series thus far. Phoenix was better, I feel. They did have a lot to cram in (and I remember reading somewhere that it was the shortest movie so far icon_confused.gif ) but I feel they stayed a little truer to the plot than Azkaban and Goblet.

I didn't think Goblet was too far off, the thing with Azkaban is it seemed like they left out so many important details. My husband and I can't figure out how someone who hasn't read the third book can understand the third movie. We told my youngest's godparents that and they bought the book on CD and said the movie made alot more sense, they don't read much but have been listening to the others on trips. I know some other people who liked the first couple movies but couldn't sit through Azkaban and have stopped watching the series, all people who haven't read the books of course.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #120 of 244
Quote:

Not going to work for him, he wants to read it independently. That and the last one I read in 8 hours so he won't have long to wait.

icon_lol.gif That's how our house is too. We actually ordered 2 copies so DH & I can read at the same time, then I'll give one copy to my mom when we're done (which will be that night). DD wants to know what happens but she's only halfway through book 5 and refuses to read out of order. We asked her if she wanted to skip book 5 & just see the movie for that (and read it later) so she could go right to book 6 and get to 7 sooner, but nope! She does know that Sirius dies in book 5 (she knew that before she saw the movie) and knows that Dumbledore dies in book 7 (and who killed him), and she knows about the horcruxes. So she's been begging us to tell her what happens in book 7, but NO, she's going to have to find out herself icon_twisted.gif

I do agree that you have to go into the movies knowing that they're not going to be the same as the books. They did cut out a lot from this movie, but I still loved it. I thought it was very well done overall.

Melissa, that locket would make a great cake idea! I don't know how to spray luster dust, but I'd do fondant & pipe the S over top. For the gems maybe green gumpaste with luster dust? You could always use those fake jewels for crafts and (obviously) not eat them. No one in my house eats the fondant anyway so we'd just take the whole covering off & not worry about non-edible things on it.

-Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%