Totm Honors Harry Potter!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 7:15pm by Hollyanna70

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 12:57pm
post #211 of 244

When we were in the bookstore Friday night, there was a teenage boy out front telling people he had someone in front of the line who was going to buy the book and rush it out so he could yell out the ending. We asked a very nice policeman to go have a little chat with him - for his own safety and physical well being...there were people there who would have lynched him if he had followed through! It turned out that we got our books and left before he got his, so I don't know if he spoiled people or not. That is why I did not turn on the tv or log on to the net all day Saturday. I would have been sooooooo upset to have been spoiled! People can be so mean!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:09pm
post #212 of 244

we cut ourselves off from the world starting thursday afternoon, when we found out that one of the online booksellers had shipped early, so some people were getting their copies on thursday, instead of saturday! I didn't even check e-mail, in case something got out and I couldn't avoid reading the subject line! LOL

On my livejournal, I've created a Harry Potter filter, so that I can add friends in as they announce they've finished... that way, we have a perfectly safe place to discuss.

BTW, the Sorting Hat looked FANTASTIC... especially after it relaxed a bit! I've just started re-reading the whole series, and just got past the Sorting Hat bit in the first book, and you've made it just like it's described. icon_smile.gif Perfect!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:19pm
post #213 of 244

The online sellers may have shipped the books early, but the post office here held ALL book packages for 2 days until the release date of Harry Potter.

Someone started a thread...
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-417163.html

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #214 of 244

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4343273.html#4343273

Here's next months suggestions thread!! Have at it, my friends!!! thumbs_up.gif

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:45am
post #215 of 244

Okay, here's my Harry Potter submission...

Mail delivery owls, of course. The pirouette cookies are supposed to be rolled up parchment.

Oh well, I have been a little pressed for time... and trying to finish the book. I stayed up so late reading last night that I completely sleep through my alarm this morning (one hour of solid beeping and I never stirred... oops! icon_redface.gif )

I love love love the Hogwarts Shield and Sorting Hat... great jobs! We have some amazing talent on here.
LL

Melvira Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #216 of 244

I love your owls!! And you know, pirouettes as parchment is pretty smart! I wouldn't have thought of that! Great work!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 6:01pm
post #217 of 244

We finished reading as a family last night at 1 am! LOL Should I feel bad about keeping a 10 year old up that long? of course, I think he would have NEVER forgiven us if we had stopped in the middle of all the excitement. I thought it was excellent - now off to to the spoiler board! Thanks for such a great theme!

Melissa

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 7:02pm
post #218 of 244

I finished last night at 2:30am!!! Now I'm off to re-read the final few chapters!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 7:22am
post #219 of 244

I did some mini-snitches tonight. They are cake balls dipped in melted butterscotch chips.

I played around with various types of wings.

The first ones I did were white chocolate with pearl dust dry-dusted on them. HINT: Really hot, humid kitchens don't do good things to white chocolate.

The second thing I tried was edible paper, with and without pearl dust.

They were really simple, but fun to do.

Edited to say: The pix are displayed in the opposite order to what I expected!

Red Panda
LL
LL
LL

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:12am
post #220 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

I did some mini-snitches tonight. They are cake balls dipped in melted butterscotch chips. Red Panda

So very clever!! Love them!!

I had no idea you could melt b'scotch chips for dipping. Curious, what kind of cake did you use? I've only used b'scotch chips once or twice so I'm trying to remember what they taste like. Would they be good with chocolate?

Melvira Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:35pm
post #221 of 244

Those are great redpanda!! I loooove butterscotch chips! mmmmmm!!

Edited to add a missing letter. icon_rolleyes.gif

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #222 of 244

Mmmmmmm.... butterscotch snitches.... mmmmmmm :insert Homer Simpson drooling:

Very clever... and cute too.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:31pm
post #223 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

I had no idea you could melt b'scotch chips for dipping. Curious, what kind of cake did you use? I've only used b'scotch chips once or twice so I'm trying to remember what they taste like. Would they be good with chocolate?

Butterscotch chips have a very strong flavor, which does go well with chocolate. (I use them in triple-chip cookies, for example, with milk and dark chocolate chips.)

These were vanilla, because that is what I happened to have on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina1221

Mmmmmmm.... butterscotch snitches.... mmmmmmm :insert Homer Simpson drooling:

To make Homer even happier--you could use donut holes instead of cake balls.

RedPanda

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:21pm
post #224 of 244

Ok, not really a cake, cookie, or the like, but still baked and HP related!

Here is Harry's favorite dessert, treacle tart!

No, I am not totally clueless when it comes to lattice work icon_biggrin.gif, I just figured with everything in the wizard world different in the wizard world, why would the lattice on a tart be any different? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Edited to add: I love those Owl & Owl Post cupcakes! And those butterscotch snitiches are cute!

And the book was.... wow. Loved it.
LL

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 9:11pm
post #225 of 244

Hi again, lanibird! Wow, Treacle Tart! That's a great idea for this thread!
( And it looks so good that I'm going to do a recipe search in a minute! Yum)
Glad you explained your lattice work!! hehehe---kinda thought "someone" was hittin' the bottle!! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Well, I did just look up a recipe. What the heck is Golden Syrup? Sounds very British. Is this in the baking isle or pancake isle? It sounds familiar but I've never bought it. Thanks

lanibird Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 9:51pm
post #226 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancysFancy

Glad you explained your lattice work!! hehehe---kinda thought "someone" was hittin' the bottle!! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Well, you know, there was a little of that too! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

I do believe that Golden Syrup is very British. Here is the products website:
http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/LylesGoldenSyrup/default.htm

I found my jar at Cost Plus World Market.

Oh, and be forwarned, the tart was very sweet, the same level as, if not sweeter than pecan pie sweet. I read that cream, ice cream, whipped cream, and custard all helped cut the sweetness a bit. I ended up making this custard to gowith it, and it was very good.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/traditional-english-custard,771,RC.html

NancysFancy Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:09am
post #227 of 244

Thanks, lanibird!! icon_biggrin.gif And, YAY, I've got a Cost Plus World Mkt. near me. I love that store! Now I've got a new reason to go and buy some weird foreign candy and beer!!-----oh, and the Golden Syrup!
Thanks for the "sweet" warning. I love pecan pie, but it does blow the top of my head off and make my teeth ache!! In a good way! I'll make sure to have whipped cream ready. I did check out your custard recipe--thanks--- that actually sounds like the best way to go but then I have to find Golden Castor Sugar???? and Cornflour??? WTH????? How British ARE you, lanibird???
Thanks, icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Nancy

lanibird Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:30am
post #228 of 244
Quote:

How British ARE you, lanibird???

icon_lol.gif None at all, just at heart. Or maybe in a past life! icon_lol.gif I am a bit of an Anglophile, or whatever the correct word is. My goal is to visit the UK one day.

I'm one of those crazy people that just likes to learn about just about everything! I didn't finish college cause after 3 years I had all these electives and hardly any towards my supposed major of business! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif DH whines about why we have all these movie channels from the satellite, when I mostly watch FoodTV, the History channels and the Discovery Channels. lol

Isn't World Market the best?! I'm with you with the buying fun candy and beer! I love Christmas time, when they have all the fun foreign Christmas food stuffs! I'll spend forever in there trying to decide what I want to buy! icon_biggrin.gif

As far as caster sugar goes, I read somewhere it was just superfine sugar, so I just put some through my food processor, and voila! Since it says GOLDEN caster sugar I tossed some brown sugar in there. Don't know if that was right, but came out great! icon_biggrin.gif And cornflour is cornstarch. I was also out of vanilla beans, so I just tossed in a tsp of extract instead. thumbs_up.gif

NancysFancy Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:35pm
post #229 of 244

Hi again, lanibird! ( Sorry for delay in responding, busy looking at a certain poster again icon_rolleyes.gif )

Good substitutions for those ingredients. I like your kitchen improv abandon!!

Okay, you HAVE to go to the UK before "one day". I've been there 3 times and could go back 20 more. Those towns are so quaint and charming that they look like a movie set. Keep that plan alive!!!

lanibird Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #230 of 244
Quote:

Okay, you HAVE to go to the UK before "one day". I've been there 3 times and could go back 20 more. Those towns are so quaint and charming that they look like a movie set. Keep that plan alive!!!

I do hope "one day" isn't too far off! I've just got to wait until these goblins that call me "Mom" are big enough to either endure the long flight, or endure the stay at Grandma's! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm so jealous you've been there three times! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

lanibird Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:31pm
post #231 of 244

When the special Harry Potter edition of TOTM was decided on, this was the first idea to pop in my head. He's gone through several incarnations, since I'm not much a sculptor/model maker, and I just cannot seem to make it look like he's NOT smiling or enjoying himself! So, I've come to the conclusion he's just a weirdo! icon_lol.gif

From one of the funniest scenes in the books:

Malfoy, the Amazing Bouncing Ferret!

Edited to add: He's fondant. thumbs_up.gif
LL

Melvira Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:47pm
post #232 of 244

HILARIOUS Lanibird!! I am dying over here!! That is too cute, and you seem like a hell of a sculptor to me!! icon_wink.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:09am
post #233 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

When the special Harry Potter edition of TOTM was decided on, this was the first idea to pop in my head. He's gone through several incarnations, since I'm not much a sculptor/model maker, and I just cannot seem to make it look like he's NOT smiling or enjoying himself! So, I've come to the conclusion he's just a weirdo! icon_lol.gif

From one of the funniest scenes in the books:

Malfoy, the Amazing Bouncing Ferret!

Edited to add: He's fondant. thumbs_up.gif

Fantastic!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bec

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:56pm
post #234 of 244

Lanibird: I love your ferret - that was such a great scene and you nailed it!

lanibird Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:11pm
post #235 of 244

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. icon_biggrin.gif That scene is still one of my favorites, and I still laugh out loud each time I read it. I just had to honor it in sugar! icon_lol.gif

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #236 of 244

Just finished my Harry Potter Cake! I made this for my daughter's 13th Birthday. She originally wanted a frog themed cake but I had this idea for awhile and talked her into it. The books are all covered in fondant. The map is hand painted fondant.
LL

Melvira Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:00pm
post #237 of 244

WOW Pennie!! That was totally worth the wait! SO glad you talked DD into it. It's awesome!

NancysFancy Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #238 of 244

PennieK -----WOW!!! That is one amazing, fantastic cake!! But, come on ---is that REALLY a cake?!!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm
post #239 of 244

OMG, I love the amazing bouncing ferret! LOL!

Pennie, that is fantastic! Now I can't wait for the next movie to come out so we can do this all over again icon_biggrin.gif

-Lisa

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:07am
post #240 of 244

Yes its really cake! My dad walked by and didn't realize it was the cake he actually thought they were real books

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%