...so This Bride Comes To Me With Pans....

Decorating By Wendoger Updated 11 Jul 2007 , 4:54am by mekaclayton

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 56

...they're the heart shaped Wilton set...she wants her cake for 100 ppl, well the pan set feeds like 131 according to Earlene's chart (I like hers better than Wilton's, bigger pieces) So she wants fondant...ok....3.00 per slice I tell her...
But I bought the pans....
But I am baking/decorating the cake....
She thinks its too much....
Ugh....its the daughter of a friend of my mom.....I am trying to be nice and work with her...she is paying for her own wedding....
But geez...is 3 bucks too much? For fondant covered, stacked, 3 tier heart wedding cake???

Ok, so I've never covered the heart shaped cakes with fondant, but I know I can do it. I don't WANT her pans...I will give them back...lol....hmmmm......??????

55 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 56

I don't think you are being unreasonable....The cost of the cake doesn't include the pans....whether she bought or not..it is for decorating time.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 56

The pans are $35 regular price so if she wants a discount because she bought them knock off a whole $35 if you want. If you don't want them don't give her a discount.
For the serving size you're giving her $3 is really reasonable even with her buying the pans, that's a big piece and many places would charge at least that for a slice half that size.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 56

Really the fact that she bought the pans is irrelevant. You could almost charge MORE because you have to use unfamiliar equipment which may screw up your recipe.icon_biggrin.gif
Unless you want to keep the pans, which I think you said you don't, I can't really see how she can justify asking for a discount.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 56

Buy pans $35.00

get a receipt

Make cake as quoted $3.00 per serving (which is KIND - around here we're starting to get that for BC)

do cake, graciously receive the ensuing oohs and aahs

sell pan set slightly used on eBay for $25.00 (you'll get it)

now you're only out 10 bucks which to be honest is less than even half hour at the therapist.... icon_lol.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 56

Run, Wendoger, run! Agree with all posts. Stand strong...don't settle for less than $3.00. I've done that three tier heart cake and charged $3.00 also.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 56

[quote="Wendoger"]...
Ugh....its the daughter of a friend of my mom.....I am trying to be nice and work with her...she is paying for her own wedding....

$3 a slice is not too much to ask for a fondant covered cake It doesn't matter who is paying for the wedding. My husband and I paid for our own wedding and we didn't expect people to constantly "give" to us. If she wants a cheaper cake, suggest buttercream rather than fondant. Family and friends can often make the worst clients, because they expect hard work for almost nothing in return.

DelightsByE Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

$3 a slice is not too much to ask for a fondant covered cake It doesn't matter who is paying for the wedding. My husband and I paid for our own wedding and we didn't expect people to constantly "give" to us. If she wants a cheaper cake, suggest buttercream rather than fondant. Family and friends can often make the worst clients, because they expect hard work for almost nothing in return.

aaaaaaaaMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 56

Well I hate to tell you but EVERYONE getting married has a budget to follow. So what? If they want YOUR cake you have YOUR fees. No ifs, ands or buts about it!

Tell them sorry but your prices are already much lower then most places and they should cut money from some other place like their flowers or food.

Why oh why does every bride think they need to say "I'm on a budget" I say if you can't afford it then go with something smaller.

Everyone seems to think that the cake is the place to cut the cost. I say have a smaller wedding if you can't afford the bigger one. icon_mad.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 56

Sounds like someone's been reading those "how to save money on your wedding" articles. which are sooooo unrealistic! Like Kiddiekakes said, unless you specified a price for baking equipment, then her buying the pans is irrelevant!! and $3.00/serving is more than reasonable IMO.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 56

did anyone see the movie, Big Daddy? The kid following behind him saying, "but, I can wipe my own a$$"...

that was the first thing that popped into my head when I read...."but I bought the pans..."

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Quote:

adonisthegreek1 wrote:

I second that AMEN, DelightsByE !!!!!!!

You are too funny!!! LOL!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

now you're only out 10 bucks which to be honest is less than even half hour at the therapist....

DelightsByE Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

Sounds like someone's been reading those "how to save money on your wedding" articles. which are sooooo unrealistic!

Yeah like one day I got this "Brilliant Idea of the Day" email from Brides.com which I get every day, they actually had the audacity to tell brides to order a square cake because it's cheaper - more servings per tier. icon_surprised.gif

I wrote them back and said - hey stupids, didn't you know we in the profession charge per slice??? Check your facts before sending brides into our midst thinking a square costs the same as a round and we'd just happily absorb that cost! sheesh!!!

of course, I didn't actually say that, I was much more tactful....

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 56

I don't get it either. My husband and I paid for our own wedding and we were on a budget, so we bought and planned within our budget. We couldn't afford fondant with out sacrificing something else, so we went with buttercream. I just don't get the whole "deal" thing because I am on a budget, aren't we all?!?

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 56

LOL I love reading things like this yall are just way too funny!!!!

$3.00 is not too much and I agree who cares if the bought the pans....

And yes family and friends do think that they should get a brake....big brakes most of the time!!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 56

You'll have no problems covering the heart shape with fondant. The hideous hearts and rainbows wedding cake in my pics has 2 8in side heart cakes covered in red fondant. It was actually pretty easy to cover which surprised the heck out of me. I started smoothing at the top of the heart and worked my way around back to the top smoothing and it went on like a dream!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:15pm
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

I say have a smaller wedding if you can't afford the bigger one. icon_mad.gif

icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif Lord have mercy! Here's a suggestion that no bride seems to have EVER heard of !!!

DelightsByE Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 56

You know this whole thing reminds me of a consultation I sent packing a few weeks ago, this bride comes in, and obviously they'd figured out the whole - "fewer guests equals less cost" concept, which I guess was a good thing, we get to talking and she pulls out this photo from a magazine which was a 5-tier fondant creation that was simple and elegant, totally do-able, for $3.25 per serving, so we got to talking about servings, and yes - she really wanted it to have the full 5 tiers because her cousin so-and-so got married in April and HER cake was 4 tiers, and she really wanted it to be BIGGER.

So I told her the cost per slice and she goes - but...I'm only inviting 75 people -
so I go - yes but the cake you want serves 208 -
and she goes - so what do you mean, I can't get this cake for $175? -
and I go - no, I'm sorry. -
and she goes - how about $200? - and I go - I can't even buy the supplies for that. -
and she goes - OK, thanks...(and says to her mom on their way out the door, can't we just go back to WalMart?)

As soon as they were out of earshot and eyesight, I laughed myself literally sick.

What do they think, we're going to supply not only their wedding reception with cake, but also every family gathering for the next MONTH???

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 56

And they've been told that using dummy tiers and kitchen cakes solves their problems. Wrong! You still have to pay me to decorate your dummy tiers too! Nobody rides for free!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:46pm
post #20 of 56

Hey, you never know, maybe she wanted to serve these 75 guest 6x6 slices! icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lol.gif

Now that's a slice of cake! icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 8:53pm
post #21 of 56

oh man....you guys are killin' me!!! ...LOL.....LOL....
So, I am stickin' to my guns...3 bucks.....I haven't heard back from her for a couple days...maybe thats a good thingicon_wink.gif

DelightsByE Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 9:37pm
post #22 of 56

Actually we overlooked one other option, Wendoger:

Purchase your OWN set of the same pans. Now that you BOTH have them, you can now safely ADD an extra $35 to the cost of the job. I mean...following her logic, possession of said pans is worth some monetary compensation, right?? icon_lol.gif

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 9:49pm
post #23 of 56

ROFLMAO... You all are just too funny! Thanks for making my day so much more enjoyable.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #24 of 56

DelightsbyE, I can SO relate! When I wrote a weekly newspaper columns on planning weddings, I wrote one about brides who plan their DREAM wedding instead of their REAL wedding.

True story: Bride violated all of the logic when planning her date. It was in July .... peak vacation time and people are out of town on vacation. It was on the 4th of July .... holiday weekend and people have plans with family. Her father was unemployed and was paying for this whole thing. She orders cake from me for 300. (Did I mention the unemployed father?) I arrive at the church and am concerned about the small room. I count the number of chairs (no tables ----- just chairs) and there are 90.

She had 33 people at her wedding. She planned the wedding she always WANTED instead of the wedding that was based a little in the Land of Reality.

And I agree with the other posts re: the use of the word "Budget". Stephie Stewart teaches brides to use exactly that phrase: "I love your work but I am on a budget......" They think it's the magic password.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:28am
post #25 of 56

I have been laughing so hard tonight from this topic....thanks guys.
I'd tell her, "wow, you bought the pans.....well then you can have a wedding cake for only $3.00 per serving...you lucky dog you.' and keep her pans.
haha.

I do like the idea of giving her $35.00 off the total and keeping her pans.

melody

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #26 of 56

I charge $2.25 per slice for buttercreme and I don't do dummy cakes. A few months ago this bride comes in and is wanting a really tall wedding cake because the reception hall has really tall ceilings, they wanted the bottom two tiers to be dummy cakes and cake on top. I told them that dummy cakes would cost the same price as cake and we could do a 6 layer cake and stack & tier it so that it was nice and tall. She decided she would use some one else because she really wanted the dummy bottoms.

I decided that was good - she probably would have been bridezilla!

If it's gong to cost the same then way not have something to show for the cost?

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:04am
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

Hey, you never know, maybe she wanted to serve these 75 guest 6x6 slices! icon_rolleyes.gif icon_lol.gif

Now that's a slice of cake! icon_razz.gif icon_biggrin.gif

I can't stop laughing...too funny!

DelightsByE Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #28 of 56

6x6.....

mmmmmmmmm.......CAKE birthday.gif

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:44am
post #29 of 56

I don't get where the pans play a role in it for her...who told her to buy the pans anyway...I think 3.00 a slice is a fair price no matter where or what pans you use...goodluck

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:51am
post #30 of 56

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
did anyone see the movie, Big Daddy? The kid following behind him saying, "but, I can wipe my own a$$"...

Love it . What a great thought. To funnny I am going through the same thing right now but for a birthday cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%