'satin Ice' Has Landed In The Uk - Rate It Or Chuck It?

Decorating By emmascakes Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 1:19am by superstar

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:48am
post #1 of 29

I went to an exhibtion and there was some Satinice being hailed as the saviour of cake decorators everywhere, I tasted some and thought it had a slightly nasty aftertaste. I'be read people on here rating it highly. What's it like to work with? Does anyone else use it? Is it good? Should I invest in some?

28 replies
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:54am
post #2 of 29

I really like the Satin Ice. I think it is great to work with, and the taste is ok. But, the only thing I have to compare it to is Wilton (which is nasty) and MMF. I like the taste of the MMF better, but the Satin Ice is convenient and can be refrigerated and is great for modeling.

use2bethiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
use2bethiel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 29

I have only had two different kinds of Fondant. Satin Ice and Wilton Fondant. Well..................Witon SUCKS and this one is pretty good. I actually like to eat it.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 29

To be honest I don't like the taste of it at all. It's easy to work with though and comes in many colors. I do like it for black and red as those colors are hard to mix with fondant.

I would say give it a go if you have never used it though. Many people here in the States love it. I'm just not one of them.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 29

when it comes to taste i rate highest to lowest: the cal java chocolate fondants, then satin ice, then mmf. satin ice is very easy to work with, i love using it, and its less expensive than the cal java chocolate fondants. to me it tastes like marshmallows, but even better than mmf (which i find hard to work with). for right now, its the only fondant i use. i may switch to the chocolate fondants at some point, but only when i feel comfortable enough to pass the cost on to the customers.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 29

I love Satin Ice Fondant. My customers love it. thumbs_up.gif
It has a mild flavor so it blends with the buttercream I use under it. It is easy to work with and so smooth. I also love Choco-pan white chocolate fondant.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 29

I sound like a broken record because every time this comes up in a discussion I push for Fondx. But I really do see a difference in the taste and smell. I like Satin Ice colored fondant, have used black, and blue and both were fine. But for white fondant Fondx smells wonderful , tastes pretty darned good and I am not a fan of eating fondant. It also is so easy to work with, not quite as soft as Satin Ice, rolls easily and goes on the cake without tearing, smooths beautifully and doesn't develop elephant skin.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 29

Total fan of SatinIce here. It's the only fondant I use. And I love the premixed colors!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmascakes

I went to an exhibtion and there was some Satinice being hailed as the saviour of cake decorators everywhere, I tasted some and thought it had a slightly nasty aftertaste. I'be read people on here rating it highly. What's it like to work with? Does anyone else use it? Is it good? Should I invest in some?

What do you usually use, Regalice (Renshaws)? I hate that stuff, that tastes nasty to me! I've been using Pettinice (Bekels), or a marshmalllow fondant that I buy premade, but it can be difficult to work with, and doesn't dry hard enough for gumpaste etc. I'd buy a small amount and see how it goes!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 29

I am not entirely convinced about SatinIce, but having said that I have just bought another 20lb bucket, more because I did not know what else to get. I certainly am sooo over making MMF, it is just too much hard work when you need a lot at a time.

I find MMF a lot stretchier so I was surprised to find that I had to roll the Satin Ice out thicker than I really wanted to. Having read Shirley's post I may try Fondx next time.

SatinIce is a perfectly fine fondant, but there are probably some that are better.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 29

I'm with you Emma, I think the vanilla in satin ice is wayyyyyy to strong. but it is easy to work with.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 29

I'm a SI fan too. I've tried others - and some of them taste great but are way too soft and sticky making them hard to work with. Satin Ice has a mild flavor, comes in many great colors and is the easiest i've found to work with besides wilton - but we all know how wilton tastes. I'd get some and give it a try - everyone's tastes are different -

Debbie

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 29

[quote="ShirleyW"]I sound like a broken record because every time this comes up in a discussion I push for Fondx. quote]

Shirley do you know who sells Fondx in the states? The shipping cost from Hawaii is horrible. I love the White choc. Rasberry and the choc. I would love to find it in the states.

Betty

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 29

Love Love Love satin ice....Would never chunck it...Try it you'll fall in love. it is good.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:06pm
post #15 of 29

[quote="Yorkiemum"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I sound like a broken record because every time this comes up in a discussion I push for Fondx. quote]

Shirley do you know who sells Fondx in the states? The shipping cost from Hawaii is horrible. I love the White choc. Rasberry and the choc. I would love to find it in the states.

Betty

I get mine from CalJava in California, but Pfeil & Holing sell it as well.
http://caljavaonline.com/fondant2.htm

http://www.cakedecostore.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=8992&p_catid=&page=1

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 29

I would also like to know if Fondx is sold in the states..anybody out there know???

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 29

Well, you can't get Fondx in the UK so that's out. I use renshaw's regalice or supermarket's own brand which tastes and looks pretty similar. I haven't ever tried Wilton's but from all the horrible comments I've read about it I can't believe they have the nerve to keep making it - but if everyone's buying it, who can blame them? Maybe I'll try Satinice if the shops start stocking it - at the moment I could only order it from the web, and I'm not that desperate given that no-one's that excited about it on here.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:19pm
post #18 of 29

Whaddya mean no one on here's excited about SatinIce? Most of the posts in this thread are raving about it.

I've used Regal Ice once, once being the operative word. IMO it's half a notch above Wilton and that's some bad company to be in.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:46pm
post #19 of 29

I'm with Shirley on this one, Fondk is the best, Satin Ice comes in second!

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 9:01pm
post #20 of 29

I don't know the SatinIce, I have worked with RegalIce or PettinIce but since recently we have here a new brand called Balling Sugarpaste, it's from Argentina and I have to say this is the first one that doesn't smell "sharp" at all, it smells like pure vanilla, tastes like pure vanilla, incredibly good better than the premade MMF. The only thing is that it doesn't harden out so good as PettinIce or RegalIce, so now I mix it with one of these, get the really nice smell and taste of the first one (Ballina) and the good shape of the latter ones.

Maybe you could also find Ballina in the UK? They do have a website by the way and I know you can order from them directly.

Good luck with your trials! icon_smile.gif

Lara

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:13pm
post #21 of 29

Tastewise, I prefer Fondx over Satin Ice. But for texture and handling, I'd go with Satin Ice.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:56pm
post #22 of 29

my first experience was with wilton...yuck. for a while i made mmf and thought it was great compared to that, but now i exclusively use satin ice, and dont think i would go back to making mmf unless i needed something in an emergency. i think satin ice is decently priced, tastes and smells good, is soft and handles well, rolls thin and overall is consistent and less work for me.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 5:46pm
post #23 of 29

Funny to read about the Regalice/Renshaw fondant--I heard a rumor about a year ago that Wilton fondant is made by Renshaw icon_confused.gif

I like FondX taste, but I find it very stretchy and the shipping from CalJava is prohibitive. I stick primarily with Satin Ice for those reasons.

Rae

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #24 of 29

I had a disaster the other day and had to use a brand whose name I will not mention (as it seems usually to be not well regarded in the UK) and I was pleasantly surprised - for once.

Yorkiemum Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:19am
post #25 of 29

Shirley, thank you. I just placed an order and shipping was 9.95 from CalJava. It was 37 from Hawaii. You just saved me a bunch of money. icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:58am
post #26 of 29

yorkiemum, where in Hawaii did you buy it from? I tried Fondx recently when I was visiting Los Angeles, I got it from Cal Java, maybe for me in Hawaii it might be cheaper to get it here.
I like Satin Ice a lot, but am now hooked on Fondx.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:01am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

yorkiemum, where in Hawaii did you buy it from? I tried Fondx recently when I was visiting Los Angeles, I got it from Cal Java, maybe for me in Hawaii it might be cheaper to get it here.
I like Satin Ice a lot, but am now hooked on Fondx.

cocoaoutlet.com sells Fondx and Sweet Inspirations fondant and chocolate fondant.

Rae

Yorkiemum Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #28 of 29

Shirley it is cocoaoutlet. Maybe is will be better for you. Now, I must say, if you put a little orange and almond flavor in the Wilton, it's yummy. But then I like fondant. Try it, since you are in the UK and my family is from the UK, I think the love of fondant is in the blood. I like it all. icon_lol.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:19am
post #29 of 29

Thanks Yorkiemum, I will compare prices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%