Bright Red Bc Icing

Decorating By countrykittie Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm by countrykittie

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:13am
post #1 of 9

I want to make a Canada Flag for Canada Day of course, but I was wondering if there was a way to get the bright red colour for the BC instead of buying that awful tasting Wilton stuff....? I can only find Wiltons colours here where I am so I am kind of stuck with that stuff... thumbsdown.gif

8 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:17am
post #2 of 9
Stoomp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stoomp Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:27am
post #3 of 9

Wilton makes the "no taste" red food coloring. Have you tried that?

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

r u from newcastle ontario... i guess so thats the only newcastle i know... im from toronto... anyways golda's kitchen is in missisauga and they a variety of colours thats aren't wilton including a super red coulor i know that is a way away but they deliver
heres the website
http://www.goldaskitchen.com/
its a great store !!

countrykittie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #5 of 9

Thanks Alliebear...I will check them out. I don't/won't have time to get it from them as I will need it for Monday. I know Canada Day is on Sunday, but I have to work Monday and I said I would bring a cake on Monday. And, yes, I'm from Newcastle Ontario. icon_smile.gif

Stoomp-I will have to find some of that for my cake. Maybe Michaels will have it.

miriel-Thanks, I will check it out.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:46am
post #6 of 9

yea i guess you wouldn't have time for that... sorry forgot but its a great store anyways for future projects... they have good kitchen stuff too not just cakey things

countrykittie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:53am
post #7 of 9

Oh definitely. I'm always looking for places that are Canadian to get things...not just Michaels or Zellers, Walmart etc. I 'favourited' the website so I can look at it later. That tip from 'Duff' was a good one, so maybe I will get some bright red gel colour and try the "yellow, orange and then red tip" to get the bright red colour.

acgref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acgref Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

I used the Wilton No Taste Red for my Canada Day Flag cake last year. I used a whole 1oz bottle and it got to be a very nice red. Don't forget that it will darken after a bit of time. Mine still looked dark pink in the bowl, but when I put it on the cake, it was definitely red.

Michaels does sell the Wilton colours and I know I've seen the No Taste Red here in the Ottawa stores, so hopefully they'll have some where you are. Bulk Barn also carries Wilton colours if there's one around you.

Good luck!

countrykittie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 9

acgref-I love your cake. You did a great job on it. I think I'm just going to do a round cake with a flag on it...nothing too big. Yours looks yummy. I will have to try the no-taste red. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%