My Hatbox Cake..using Fairytale's Instructions!

Decorating By JaneK Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 10:06am by glad

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 26

I first want to say a big thank-you to Fairytale for her inspirational hat box cake AND instructions that she posted on the forum a while back...
Anyhow, I had a go at one ...it's the birthday cake for the wife of a coworker who is turning 50...her DH wanted to surprise her for her birthday and I pretty well had free reign!

It is well worth looking up the instructions and trying one..I was going to post to the original link but I can't find it now...
I was also inspired by Blakescakes hatbox cake as well!

Anyhow, thanks for looking!!!
LL

25 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:00am
post #2 of 26

came out beautifully!

excellent work! thumbs_up.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:02am
post #3 of 26

Very pretty!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:35am
post #4 of 26

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif OMG, this is so gorgeous! I LOVE it.

Thank you so much for sharing. And if you find those instructions, I'd love to have them too. Please PM me! thumbs_up.gif

Diana

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:00am
post #5 of 26

Simply beautiful Jane, wonderful colors and design. Fairytale is the one to go to for instructions for this type of cake. I was the lucky receipient of one of Jan's hatbox cakes for my birthday. Here is the one she made for me.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=372883

And Here is the link to Jan's instructions.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-215781-hatbox.html

JaneK Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:07am
post #6 of 26

Thanks for posting the link Shirley...my searching skills leave a bit to be desired.

Yes, Jan is definitely the go-to person on these...they are awesome and your birthday cake was BEAUTIFUL!!! I think that was when I decided to make one!

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

My cake is so heavily doweled for the longish ride in the morning...I doubt they will be able to get it apart for cutting!!! icon_lol.gif

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:13am
post #7 of 26

I can honestly say this is one of the most satisfying feeling I have ever had, to see such a successful cake and to think my instructions helped. I'm just thrilled it came out so elegant. It's very original and has a look unique to your work. This is just terrific! Would love to see the look on her face when she gets it.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 3:50am
post #8 of 26

That is just plain GORGEOUS!!! I am sooooo jealous!! Great job! thumbs_up.gif

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 6:31am
post #9 of 26

Oh my! Can't wait to find out how she liked it! You did a stunning job. It's gorgeous!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 7:48am
post #10 of 26

Holy Moly, Jane, what a masterpiece. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

This is one birthday cake that won't ever be forgotten. princess.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

Just read that you made the gumpaste flowers, also...
Double Holy Moly. icon_eek.gificon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

YOU RULE !!!!!!!

JaneK Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 26

OMG..you are making my head swell...check out the instructions for the hatbox...and Fairytale's pics...you will see why I wanted to make one so bad!

thanks again for all your super supportive and lovely comments!!
Any questions, just fire away!
Jane

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #12 of 26

It is soooo beautiful. I love it. Good job

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 26

Beautiful cake Jane!! It's so pretty and your work is perfect!!

Courtney

glad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glad Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 10:17am
post #14 of 26

Beautiful cake! Love it!

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #15 of 26

These cakes are just beautiful...I want to try one, and I've read the instructions. I do have one question about attaching the top (lid)...after reading fairtales instructions (which are awesome) I'm still not quite sure
how the "wedge" is actually attached between the lid and the base to "prop" it open? Is frosting used to attach the fondant covered styrofoam? Or maybe a starpened dowel? I'm just trying to get this picture in my head,
and I just can't seem to get it! icon_redface.gif Can anyone help me understand the
"technical" part! lol thanks.

Joanne

JaneK Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

I do have one question about attaching the top (lid)...after reading fairtales instructions (which are awesome) I'm still not quite sure
how the "wedge" is actually attached between the lid and the base to "prop" it open? Is frosting used to attach the fondant covered styrofoam? Or maybe a starpened dowel? I'm just trying to get this picture in my head,
and I just can't seem to get it! Can anyone help me understand the
"technical" part! lol thanks.

I used about 1/4 of a styro ball for the flowers and it propped open the lid...but to secure it, I used royal icing underneath and on top (when I was ready to put the lid on and not take it off again (when you are completely satisfied with how the flowers look)...I also put a couple of sharp skewers into the cake sticking up a bit so they would stick into the styro lid...(sharp end up)
I wish I had taken pics of it without the lid...I meant to...next time..or maybe Jan (Fairytale) has some pics...
I was afraid of it moving/slipping but it was very secure with the royal and skewers/dowels...
HTH

Also, thanks again for all the great comments everyone!

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 8:53am
post #17 of 26

Just stunning icon_eek.gif - so perfectly done. You must be very proud of yourself??

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 26

Gorgeous. Well done thumbs_up.gif

AidensMommy06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AidensMommy06 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 26

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

I have a silly question. Those lace designs, how do you do them?

Thanks! icon_redface.gif

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #20 of 26

WOW!! Great cake!! You did an amazing job and fairtale's instructions are awesome! I want to make one now!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 26

Wow! That came out fantastic! You should pat yourself on the back for that one! I bet the woman went nuts over it! Everything was perfect!!

JaneK Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 26

thanks so much for the wonderful comments!
You definitely should try one...they were really pleased!! (of course then so was I)
Fairytale was a great help and her hatbox cakes were so inspirational...I am a huge fan of her work..I wouldn't have done it except thru her directions and once I saw her hatbox cake I was determined to try...to date, it is my favourite cake.

AidensMommy, I am not entirely sure what you mean by the lace, but I did pipe with a number 1 tube the little stems and leaves for the teeny blossoms I made for the decoration on the side of the cake and the cakeboard.....I wanted it to look dainty.

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:42am
post #23 of 26

Wow awesome cake, icon_surprised.gif I have been on holidays and missed this.

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:43am
post #24 of 26

Wow awesome cake, icon_surprised.gif I have been on holidays and missed this.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:11am
post #25 of 26

Beautiful Jane!!! My Nanny is turning 74 in Oct and I'm going to make one for her. If mine turns out half as beautiful as yours I will be a very happy woman. well done!

Elle

glad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glad Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:06am
post #26 of 26

Oh boy, both yours and Fairytale's cakes are GORGEOUS! I wish I can try but my standard have not reached that level yet.....

Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%