Help Quick! How Do I Fix This Color?

Decorating By klundberg Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 2:34am by dldbrou

klundberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klundberg Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 10

The bride told me she wanted fushia fondant on her cake, so I bought the Americolor Fushia. I got the fondant all colored and it looks really purple-ish to me. I called the bride's friend and she looked at the invitation (the cake's colors match the invitation) and the friend told me that it looks very much like magenta (not fushia!) and is very 'pinky'. How do I fix this massive purpleish blob of fondant??? I've been mixing in red, but that has only resulted in making it dark, instead of a bright magenta.

What colors do I need to mix in? Help! TIA

9 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 10

why not try adding more white fondant to lighten it up first.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 10

So did the bride not give you a sample of the color? She can't expect an exact match if she didn't provide a sample. I would also try to lighten it with more white fondant.

Then take a small amount of that colored fondant and do some trial and errors with it to see which direction you need to take. That way hopefully you'll be able to save the fondant.

stephscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephscakes Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 10

Try to mix just a small amount (golf ball size) before you do the whole thing. I would suggest mixing in a little white to lighten up the purple then try a deep pink and see if you get closer. If you have already added a lot of red to the whole batch, I'm not sure if you will get it the right color.
Good Luck!
Stephanie

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 10

First thing I would tell you is to not use the whole glob anymore! Just work with a bit, and play with it until you can get the little blob close. That way you don't ruiin all of it, and you get results faster too. Then I would use pink, not red I think.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 10

Here's what someone on the Wilton forum suggests to make fushia:
"To make Fushia, use 3/4 t. rose and add 6 toothpick dots of royal blue. "

Maybe you could experiment with the royal blue????

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 10

so, did you fix it and how?

klundberg Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 4:43am
post #8 of 10

It is as fixed as it is going to get. I used Wilton's pink (which looks hot pink when used alone) and Americolor's soft pink. It does look a bit more pink-ish. Like pp said, I can't be held completely at fault for it if I don't have a sample.

Thanks for all the tips!

klundberg Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 10

Grrr....it faded, now it looks more like mauve instead of magenta. icon_sad.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:34am
post #10 of 10

add a smiggen of royal blue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%