Octagon Cakes?

Decorating By bkdcakes Updated 20 Mar 2013 , 10:59pm by tlcbakery

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:20am
post #1 of 10

I have had a request for an octagon cake for a wedding next spring. I thought it would be simple to cut a round cake to the size needed, then I saw a post about cutting the corners off of a square cake, which would be easier...maybe. But then someone said that if you are stacking, cutting the sides would weaken the structure. I have only seen one set of octagon shaped pans on the web & they were over $100! No way I can do that!

Any ideas? Anyone? I have lots of time on this one, but I want to get started looking & practicing...

9 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:29am
post #2 of 10

Are the octagon pans from Wilton discontinued? I have a set I just got a couple of years ago for under $20-with a 50% discount of course.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:30am
post #3 of 10

I'm so sorry-those are hexagon.

Hmmm...does it have to have 8 sides instead of 6?

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:30am
post #4 of 10

I think as long as you use a board under each layer in the same shape, your cake will be fine. You can create any shape as long as you provide support for it. I had no idea that octagon pans were so expensive!!! Can you do a hexagon instead, or do they insist on octagon?

Angie

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 10

I did an octagon cake. I took a piece of manilla folder and cut out triangle templates for each tier to make sure I cut all the corners the same. It didn't weaken the cake at all.
LL

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 10

How about taking your square cake pan and putting something in the corners of the pan, then lining with foil, so you're actually baking the cake in the octagon shape instead of cutting the corners off after it's baked?

I think you could use disposable foil pans - maybe the small loaf pan size - and bend them to fit in the corners, then line the whole thing with two layers of heavy duty foil, then probably parchment on the bottom to avoid problems getting it out of the pan.

If this doesn't make any sense, I'll try to come up with a sketch (or ask Doug to sketch it, if he understands what I'm saying, LOL! icon_biggrin.gif )

Laura.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 10

I did an octogon cake by baking square cakes and then cutting the corners off - I also made myself templates out of parchement paper just to make sure they would be cut right. I had no strength problems. It worked great. Just make sure you have boards under each layer - I cut mine to fit out of foam board. I twas actually a cake out of Collette Peters wedding cake book and she recommends cutting to size and gives template instructions.

Good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 1:58am
post #8 of 10

template now in sketches, templates & patterns gallery.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for all the responses! I will try them out when I get a chance.

Thanks Doug for the template! It looks great.

Sweetart - what a beautiful cake! Now I know what to shoot for! thumbs_up.gif

Yes, it does have to be 8 sided - the couple will have been together 8 years when they get married in May. So, luckily, I have lots of time to practice between now & then.

My dh is checking to see what it would cost to get some aluminum & have his welding students make the pans, or at least one.

tlcbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlcbakery Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 10

I know this was ages ago - but do you remember what size cake pan you used for the top tier?  I am doing something similar and was planning to use a 6 in. square on the top but I think with cutting the corners, it will be too small.  Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%