Cake Transporting

Decorating By adobewife Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 6:57am by adobewife

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 4

I need to do a wedding cake in another state in December and would like to take my cakes already baked. I will be traveling about 400 miles, and I think I will be driving. I know that cake competitors will take their baked cakes with them, and was wondering "how do they do that". I would appreciate any advice.

3 replies
Sweetcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcat Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 4

Adobewife, my suggestion is to mount the cakes on cardboard bottoms, whatever shape the cake may be, even if you have to cut up cardboard boxes and cover them with freezer wrap, then place the cake on each cardboard and then place the cake into a box.
You did not state how big or how many cakes you are transporting, and what size your car is, but if you put them in boxes, wherever you can get cardboard boxes, line the boxes if they're old with freezer wrap to protect the cake, and then at least you can stack them in the car. When placing them in the car, try to cushion around the boxes with pillows or perhaps a sweatshirt or something to keep the boxes in place, and hopefully, just be careful when driving, no fast turns or going around curves real fast and you should be fine. Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas. Let me know how you make out. GOOD LUCK! Sweetcat icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 4

If you are talking about transporting baked, undecorated cakes.. you can bake your cakes.. wrap in plastic wrap and freeze them. When you are ready to travel, pack them in sturdy cardboard boxes or plastic containers. I would put them on a cardboard wrapped in plastic wrap before freezing, to give extra support for transportation.

If you are taking already decorated cakes.. I would not assemble them but take the individual cakes packed again in STURDY cardboard boxes or plastic containers.. Put the cakes in the most level part of your vehicle, and drive VERY CAREFULLY icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 6:57am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling much more confident about traveling. Just to clarify the details. These will be undecorated cakes, and I am fortunate to have a large SUV, so I'm thinking that I'll be okay. I will be taking about 6 to 8 layers, square-15", 13", 9". I think square will be easier to pack as well. Appreciate the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%