Help! Drying Royal Icing Flowers

Decorating By Vanaya Updated 19 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm by jscakes

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 8

I need help!

Last night I made ~100 Royal Icing Daisies to go on my mothers birthday cake. I read somewhere on here that putting them in a pre-heated (then turned off) oven with the light on will help quicken the drying time.

I did that and they seem dry, but I can't get them off the wax paper! They break right away.

Can I put them in the freezer for 15-30 minutes then take them off the paper? Would that help?

Any other suggestions?!?

I know that RI flowers normally take a few days, I don't know what I was thinking starting so late! The cake is for TONIGHT! icon_sad.gif

7 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry I can't help you. Here's a bump. icon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

I think daisies are just difficult--those skinny petals break. Go slow peeling them off, and make lots of extras for breakage...

Not sure if anything like a hot thin knife blade would work...? sorry, I'm not much help either.

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 8

I can't help either so here's a bump

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 8

I'd try a few different approaches to see what works on a few of these...

1. Like the hot knife idea

2. a little bit of hot water on the knife or

3. a little oil on the knife

these will breack down the royal a little bit, ;possibly enough to slide them into place on the cake~!

With time running out if those don't work, I'd trim the wax paper close and put 'em on the cake, getting the edges of the wax paper to slide into the frosting or put a leaf where needed if an edge is showing....

wishing you the best and let us know what happens!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 8

After A LOT of broken flowers, I now spray my parchment paper, aluminum foil, whatever I'm drying them on with a very light coating of Pam spray. Then, I pop them into the freezer for just a few minutes (literally) to stiffen up to where they're easier to take off. Follow the other's advice of a very thin knife, and go from there. Good luck!

Amy

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 8

A very thin blade dipped in hot water should do the trick. Please don't put them in the freezer. It can ruin them

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8

just another idea:

if possible, pull the paper off the flowers instead of pulling the flowers off the paper. Gently slide over a base, as you pull the paper down over the edge, it should release the flower. Does that make any sense?
I've used an upside down cookie sheet to pull the paper over the edge to release the flower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%