Fondant, Gumpaste Or Something Else?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 17 Jun 2005 , 6:32pm by msmeg

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 6

i want to make a toolbox cake for Father's Day and put tools on or around it, but I'm unsure what to use to make them so they'll dry by Sunday. I know, I should've done this earlier...but I work well under pressure icon_wink.gif I made a little MMF penguin on Sunday and with all this humidity, he still hasn't dried, so I'm would think MMF is out. Any ideas? I've never worked with gumpaste, but i have a can of the Wilton mix. I've also heard of pastillage, but i'm not sure what that is or if it's the same as gumpaste? THank you!

5 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure I can help you...I haven't tried this yet....Someone mentioned on another thread that a food dehydrator will dry fondant, color flow, and gumpaste in hours instead of days. It may help your humidity issue if you have one handy. My DH insisted on one a few years ago and it has been collecting dust for the last year. I think it may be time to dig it up and revive it. thumbs_up.gif
Hope it helps,
Kimberly

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

gum paste is pretty quick to dry.

Debbie

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 6

You can add 1 tbsp of that wilton's gumpaste mix you have to your mmf. and it hardens very fast.

Wandy

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 6

THanks for all your help - never thought of mixing it together either. Now I wish i had a food dehydrator - that would probably work really well!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 17 Jun 2005 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 6

You could also make cookie tools gingerbread would work well

Candyclay would work but not in a high heat area

I would do gingerbread frosted in royal icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%