Probably Stupid, But This Is What I Did...

Business By chocomama Updated 19 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm by Charlie_Fatster

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:00am
post #1 of 20

I met a girl who is getting married this October, inviting 100 guests and had no cake ordered yet. She is on a really tight budget and since I am just starting out and want to get my name known, I offered to make her cake at cost. Not cost + labor, just my cost. Ooooook, dumb. The cakes she likes are pretty simple - 3 stacked rounds covered with fondant, basically. She would also like a groom's cake and her favorite, of course, is one of Earlene's. Uh oh. It is a 3 layer stacked covered in chocolate fondant with a ruffled sort of bottom layer and scroll work on the top 2. I already told her I wouldn't do the ruffle, so that's OK, but I'm really mad at myself. My cost is not going to be much compared to my time but I don't think there is anything I can do at this point. She hasn't signed a contract yet, but I don't want to back out b/c I was the one who opened my big mouth and made the offer. Am I a complete moron?

19 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:08am
post #2 of 20

You are not a complete moron. I recently made three cakes for a lady and only charged her $45.00. It cost me close to $100.00. You are giving this couple a big blessing by doing their cake.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:09am
post #3 of 20

nope i do this all the time , i have this radar for people with caviar dreams and a fishstick budget good luck personall i would tell not a problem on the wedding cake but the grooms cake is going to cost her

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #4 of 20

Hey Chocomama... sounds like you and I suffer from the same disease, chronic niceness! I get myself into those positions more than I like to admit! I think you should let her know that when you said you'd do it at cost you were expecting a fairly simple buttercream job, but fondant is so extremely time consuming and challenging, that you don't feel its fair to yourself to do it essentially for free. Let her know you would only be asking a moderate compensation compared to what she would pay elsewhere, but that the amount of time it would take you to do this cake would prevent you from doing numerous PAYING jobs. At that point you are leaving it in her hands as to whether she wants to pay you, or go elsewhere to get her cake. Either way, you are happy.

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:19am
post #5 of 20

That was a nice thing to do! Maybe you can set out some cards by the cake and get some orders. Then you will not feel so bad!! Make the best of it. Make sure she knows that the deal is not for everyone. You dont need people trying to get the same deal. Most of all big rewards to the kind people out there. Always look at the bright side and if all fails they will always remeber you on their special day!!!!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:01am
post #6 of 20

This might sound really bad....but how would she know what your actual cost is? You could always mark it up a bit.....

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:09am
post #7 of 20

I can relate. I've been doing cakes for what seems live forever, but really trying to get into the wedding cake business. Just got my first couple consults. I'm doing one for about 120 people--it'll be 4 tiers, buttercream, fairly simple design, but I told her I do it for $150. I want to get my name out there and start creating pictures of real wedding cakes for my album, website. they've already sent me two other referrals.

I'd feel ok w/ the wedding cake if I were you, but I'd tell them the "real" charge for the kind of groom's cake they want and see if they are willing to pay it or get it elsewhere. (you could even tell them the full price and then give them a discount on it if you wanted the business).

just some thoughts. . . .

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:11am
post #8 of 20

i agree with sweet confections. still dont over charge her. but maybe you could add some money on to your total cost just to even cover a little of your time.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:26am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomama

I met a girl who is getting married this October, inviting 100 guests and had no cake ordered yet. She is on a really tight budget and since I am just starting out and want to get my name known, I offered to make her cake at cost. Not cost + labor, just my cost. Ooooook, dumb. The cakes she likes are pretty simple - 3 stacked rounds covered with fondant, basically. She would also like a groom's cake and her favorite, of course, is one of Earlene's. Uh oh. It is a 3 layer stacked covered in chocolate fondant with a ruffled sort of bottom layer and scroll work on the top 2. I already told her I wouldn't do the ruffle, so that's OK, but I'm really mad at myself. My cost is not going to be much compared to my time but I don't think there is anything I can do at this point. She hasn't signed a contract yet, but I don't want to back out b/c I was the one who opened my big mouth and made the offer. Am I a complete moron?

do you have to give her a reciept? you can add for your time..you know? I mean ..that IS part of your cost..lol

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:35am
post #10 of 20

Look at it this way.. ADVERTISING... If you don't have cards.. make some up.. Make sure you can put your cards out at the reception. You can always build a little bit extra into the bill to cover some of your time. AND most important of all.. you are a blessing to someone... and your blessing will be returnted to you tenfold!!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:55am
post #11 of 20

Look at it this way, you made your offer and even though you'll make less than you want chances are you'll generate interest and possible future business by sticking to your deal. She'll love you for it and tell everyone who made her cake. You'll get your name out there and feel good about doing a nice deed. I don't see how you can go back and change your deal even if there isn't a signed contract. That kind of news would travel faster than the fact that you were nice enough to do it at your cost. I say be honest and charge her your cost for the brides cake. As far as the groom's cake I'd quote her a price and let her go elsewhere if she can't afford it. You'll feel better about yourself if you stay honest. Many a time I have sauntered in the opposite direction when people have started talking about wedding cakes. I just know one day I'll get myself into a situation I'll kick myself over, so I take precautions. I did huge freebie for an ungrateful niece and said I wouldn't do that again and I won't. I hope. Ü

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:45am
post #12 of 20

The first wedding cake I did at cost--then the last 2 I charged 1.75 per serving. I still made $100-150 on each. But most importantly I am building a portfolio.

However..... I don't know about doing 2 cakes for cost for the same person on the same occasion. I think it is a case of "piling on" on the bride's part. If she's too cheap or too poor to pay full price for a cake, Why is she now doubling that for 2? That's what I call taking advantage of YOUR good nature.

The groom's cake alone sounds like it may serve 100 people. If your cakes added together serve more than 100 there will be leftover or wasted cake, and for the time and effort I would like to see every crumb devoured.

I would try to get paid for the second cake at least 1.50-2.00 per slice (for choc fondant cake that already would be a steal).

Since this bride is already getting a huge favor, I would think she would limit herself to the realm of what is reasonable to impose.

At any rate. I would have her pay the full amount in advance since you should not have to pay up front out of your own pocket. You don't want to present her with a bill and have her say, "I never thought it could be that much!"

Make sure you get a signed contract and money up front.

Congrats on going outside your circle! We can't build a business only making cakes for family and friends.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 20

I've really been thinking about this because I've never given anyone a discount like that and I've never had anyone complain that I haven't. My concern with doing cakes so cheaply is that the bride will tell her friends ect (the customers you want) "The lady that did my wedding cake did such a great job and she was so CHEAP!" This would make it very hard to ever rise your prices to make any money. It will also make your competitors upset because you are underselling them. I sell my cakes for the same price I sold them when I opened my shop and I was a very new decorator (I had decorated ONE freakin' cake). And even now, I've only been decorating for 1 1/2 years! I feel all of you out there can get your name out by making a good cake at a fair price and by not "jipping" yourself by doing cakes at cost because you need practice. I practice (still do) on a 1/2 sheet board covered in contact paper. Anyway, just trying to help. I'm not trying to say that I know everything.....just felt like I needed to bring this up. I know how hard you all work! icon_wink.gif

chocomama Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 20

Well, I do feel better now! Thanks, everyone! I'm meeting with the bride tomorrow and now her parents want to get involved, too! I don't know how old she is, but I do know she has 2 kids so I'm wondering if these people are going to be a royal pain. I guess I'll find out soon! I'm trying to figure out a nice way to say something about the groom's cake and I'm going to make it a point to tell her that I won't be doing this for anyone else! That said, I'm really looking forward to this. icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 20

Can't you just inform her that you only offered to do the bridal cake for cost?

You can also bring some photos of "simple" cakes that meet her FIRST choice...

Cakes that you know you can probably do, let her chose from those few designs.

When she brings up the groom's cake, you can be honest with her and tell her that you only offered to make the Bridal cake..( if that's true) nothing else...but that you would be more than willing to do it for a price...then discuss your prices!

Most BIG Hotels and event places down here have a book with like maybe 3 to 5 designs that the offer. A bride that has her event at one of our major hotels can chose one to be included in her event. If she veers from her choices they pay an arm and a leg...and if they chose to bring in an outside decorator...well, they must sign over their first born!

Having a "Simple" cake in your portfolio is a good thing. That can be your "STARTING" point. or your "budget" cake.

Oh, and I forgot....Give her a receipt showing the true cost of the cake.

you can do this by sending her a "thank you card" in the mail for letting you do her wedding cake...bread and butter note..."thank you so much ..it was a pleasure, I wish you tons of happiness...blah..blah..blah...

and you slip in the paper with the true cost of the cake with a note saying...here is a receipt for your records...

Break it down..

"Cake Designer cost......$ 0.00" Dont break it down as you don't want EVERYONE TO KNOW WHAT YOU PAY FOR YOUR SUPPLIES...lol

"Complimentary Cost....$0.00........(here is where you can reflect the true cost of your work .)

then close with something nice!

hth

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 20

I agree with some of the girls in here about the grooms cake.. You said you would not charge her for the wedding cake only..Good luck with your meeting with them..

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 20

There is no way I would do the grooms cake for free also. You said you would make her wedding cake for free. My gosh, does she know how much money you are "giving" her by not making her pay?

Tell her you have a paid cake due and doing the grooms cake would make you lose business so you can not afford to do both the wedding and grooms cake.

Also, the wedding cake should be able to be done however YOU want since it's free.

You don't even know this girl that well. She is totally trying to take advantage of you! Just remember no one can use you unless YOU let them.

I don't think you should over charge on your cost though. That is not honest and if it's ever found out then you will be known as someone who lies. Besides, do you really want to lie over a few bucks? Is it worth it?

Just do the wedding cake for your real costs. You can add a bit more then just the cake cost though. It will cost you in electric cost, gas to deliver it and so on. Don't forget to add in for that.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 20

When you meet with the bride, you might be wise to have two receipts ready for the Bride's Cake. The receipt reflecting what the cake would cost if she were paying the full price, and a receipt of what she is actually paying.
This way she will know what a gift this really is.
Otherwise, she may have no clue of what a savings she is really going to recieve.
However, having offered her the bridal cake at cost, you can then tell her it is impossible to offer her the groom's cake at the same savings. Give her the full estimate, then knock a few dollars off if you want. But don't be saddled into two free cakes.

chocomama Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #19 of 20

Thank you, everyone! I just told the bride that I wouldn't be doing the groom's cake for cost, but that I would give her a price break, and she completely understood. As of right now, she still doesn't know exactly what she wants so I'm going to take her some pictures and go from there. I really appreciate all of the help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Charlie_Fatster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charlie_Fatster Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #20 of 20

I don't think it's stupid. Think of the expirience you are getting! i've done two wedding cakes for free, and now, i will charge, but it was great practice and you really are helping someone out. I think it was really nice of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%