Cake Decorating Business??

Business By steplite Updated 20 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm by steplite

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 1:37am
post #1 of 7

OK, I did course 1,2, and 3. Love to bake from scratch but now since finding this site, I do a real good doctored up cake mix(DH) which everyone loves and thinks it's homemade. SO..If I were to start a cake business what would I do? Go out and buy a thousand boxes of DH? Can you buy DH in bulk? Or do bakers just go with commercial flour and bake from scratch? Thanks

6 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:08am
post #2 of 7

I buy in bulk. I spot the bargains in grocery stores and load up! Sometimes I bake from scratch, it depends on the customers. Always look for sales!!
HTH

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:58am
post #3 of 7

I call my local walmart supercenter every week and tell them what I need. That way I can just pick up a van load of boxes (everything comes in a case) and I don't empty their shelves of DH, powder sugar or chocolate chips! It has worked out great. I walked up to one of the grocery personnel one day and asked her what to do to get things in cases....she gave me her name and told me to call 2 days before I needed it! It's a snap!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 3:05am
post #4 of 7

I found bulk DH cake mix in a bag at SAM's club in Michigan, but I cannot find it in Texas. It made really great tasting white cake that I have not been able to duplicate by scratch. I cannot remember how much it made, but I know that it was more than the boxes.

Hope that helps.

steplite Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 7

Yes Smbegg. I'd like to find DH in bulk like 10-25 pound bags. I can't see opening up a sweet shop and have a thousand boxes DH's to open everytime I bake a cake. I've been pretty good at making The box cakes taste like homeade by using the extender recipe and butter. I wouldn't want to deal with opening all those small boxes. But if I just did baking out of my kitchen on a smaller scale it wouldn't be a problem buying cases from Sam's.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 7

When I lived in PA I used DH mix. I'd buy 2 cases yellow butter and 1 chocolate. I'd get a 10% discount.

I would open the boxes and throw the bag into a plastic bin of sorts with a lid.

I also use cake mix or scratch depending on the customer...I found out that 3 boxes fit in a 5q mixer and 12 can fit in a 20Q!

I'm not a cake snob...Commercial Mix companies have spent MILLIONS and many years perfecting their recipe...who am I to think I can do better?

Even the school Chef's use mixes!

Even though that Liquid Shortening cake is the bomb! You need a whole sale account with a min purchase to get a darn case!

steplite Posted 20 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Risquebusiness for that information. I'm still trying to get all the information I can about opening up a sweet shop. Putting the mixes in a bin is a great tip also. Thanks again and happy decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%