Silicone Molds Are They Worth Buying?

Decorating By jl5949 Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm by peg818

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:35am
post #1 of 9

I just saw 3D silicone rose molds at beryls.com. Has anyone ever used these and are the worth purchasing?

8 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:43am
post #2 of 9

I have silicone molds with flowers and find that while they look good and easy to do, they do not look as delicate and refined as those molded petal by petal in gumpaste.

I love silicone molds for other things though (pearls, veiners, cameos, shells, etc).

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:47am
post #3 of 9

I have some and I really like them. Have some more coming in a few days and I'm going to try my hand at making some myself. I love using cutters, too, so I guess it just depends on the effect you are looking for.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:49am
post #4 of 9

I have some and their great for little details that you cant accomplish on your own.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:02am
post #5 of 9

I bought this stuff called "Mold-n-Pour" and I just use things that I like to make my own molds. It's much more inexpensive than buying the premade molds. Plus it's very fast and easy! I used it to make the molds for the decorations that are on my Chocolate Baby Shower Cake in my pics. The next time I use it I am going to try making some lace molds with it and see how they come out icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 9

In my pictures there is a wedding cake with red roses around the middle of each tier. These were made with silicone molds. While they aren't as delicate as gumpaste flowers that are molded petal by petal. They make a very nice flower in a very short period of time. The flowers were chocolate clay on this cake, all i had to do was push the clay into the mold pop in the freezer for a couple of minutes and pop out the flower

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 9

I've purchased several of the silicone molds in the past and although I love the ease of use, I did not find the investment was worth it. These tend to be pricey and unless you are going to use the mold alot (e.g. a business) its not worth it. I will probably put most of mine on eBay.

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 9

On www.beryls.com for the silicon molds that don't specifically mention using tempered chocolate with them, do you have to use gumpaste or marizpan?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 9

I wouldn't think so, but then i don't know for sure. The best thing would be to ask Beryl herself. I like using candy clay, cause then you can bite through them easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%