Crazy Lady With A Knife

Decorating By dolfin Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm by amie202

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 16

Last week my honey asked me to make a cake for his up coming baloney sandwich pot luck at work. Wow, great idea I'll make a baloney sandwich cake! I start making lettuce,tomatoes,pickles,cheese slices, baloney and even a jalepeno pepper out of fondant to put in sandwich. The pot luck is thursday so monday I bake a (box mix) butter pecan 10 x 10 x 3 squar cake. 325 oven, baking strips, inverted flower nail 2 HOURS later cake finally tests done. Cool it wrap and store in fridge. Tuesday level and tort and much to my dismay a section where flower nail was is not cooked!!
No problem just rustle up another cake, this time add less batter thinking maybe put to much first time and that could be why cake took so long to cook. tested cake after 1 1/2 hours, poked in three diffrent areas, tested done. cooled,wrapped and stored in fridge for a few hours then leveled and torted. Again not done!! Have somewhere to go so can't bake that evening.
Wednsday morning bright and early attempt #3 after testing cake I left in anothe 10 minutes just to be sure. When cake cooled and I put on cake board it was the perfect brown all around for the crust of the sandwich, edges nice and sharp, looking good. Again I wrap and store. Take kids to water park get home at 7:00pm shower and figure I better start on cake so honey can take in morning to work. Well guess what, I now have 3 cakes in freezer for future cake balls. I am so disgusted I click on CC to see if I can find a reason for this cr@# and how to fix. After hours of research decide to go to bed and lay awake thinking of things I could have done wrong.
5:00 alarm goes off, I tell my honey to bring me a dozen eggs so I can try one last time. I tell him make sure and get the eggs from the back cause they are the freshest. Now the last 3 cakes I made I used the extender recipe with sour cream, this time I just made the cake straight from the box. So now after 8 boxes of cake mix, 32 eggs, 6 cups of flour, 6 cups of sugar, 6 tsp vanilla, 6 pinches of salt 2 2/3 cups oil, 10 cups water,6 cups of sour cream, countless curse words, lots of jumping up and down and wringing of hands and lots o major tweaking, I am now sitting down leveling and torting my cake and guess what? icon_cry.gif All I could think of was getting my knife and stabbing that thing like a million times, but I didn't ( Ireally wanted to!!) I yelled at the cake,yelled at the oven wrapped the cake up and threw it in the trash. If I had a dog I probably would have kicked it, all I have are silly cats who know enough to stay away on days like today. Good thing it was just a cake for fun and not for a customer. icon_redface.gif My honey took cups to his pot luck lunch.

I know it's not friday and it's only noon but what the hey I am having me a margarita icon_razz.gif , calling the gas company to come check my oven then taking a shower and going to take a nap!!! Gotta be a better cake day tomorrow.

15 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 16

Oh Dolfin...
my gut hurts..........you are too funny! I would agree, something with the oven, and boy that was an expensive cake for him to take cups to the potluck! icon_eek.gif Look at it this way, great excuse to have a margarita on a Thursday afternoon! I would have broken something valuable at this point........... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:12am
post #3 of 16

Dolfin-
So sorry for your misfortune, but I must admit....the vision of you wielding a knife and cursing at the cake was priceless! I dont know which I would've stabbed first, myself or the cake, in this situation! I don't blame the cats for ducking and covering! I only got about half way thru your post without laughing out loud! I hope you have more luck next time, and keep us full with your fabulous humor!!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 4:31am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729

Oh Dolfin...
my gut hurts..........you are too funny! I would agree, something with the oven, and boy that was an expensive cake for him to take cups to the potluck! icon_eek.gif Look at it this way, great excuse to have a margarita on a Thursday afternoon! I would have broken something valuable at this point........... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

yeah like THAT OVEN!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 5:31am
post #5 of 16

You certainly have a lot more patience than I have....

But I'm with you on having the margarita. icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 7:36am
post #6 of 16

cue Psycho music! lol

Sorry about your bad cake luck but thanks for the good-natured humor and story icon_lol.gif

dolfin Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 16

Well another day. Decided to make a lot of little baloney sandwiches with the part of cake that is salvagable. Gonna save the giant lettuce and stuff for after get oven checked out.

Jan I'll have a margarita in your name tonight! It wasn't patience, it's called pig headedness. I was gonna get it right if it killed me!

La Sombra, your so funny, that music would have so fit!!!

Thanks for the sympathy all, will post pictures of little baloney sandwiches when they are done.

PS: I should have killed the stove. My husband bought as christmas gift several years ago. It was a nice gift 'cept he got it in Raider colors. Black and silver with glass top and it is a chore to keep it clean. Have to wipe it every time you pass by it!!! I hate it.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 16

OMG!! I would've stopped after the second try!!! You are toooo patient! I hope it's your oven so you know you're not crazy! LOL

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 16

lol, after the 3rd one I would canibalized pieces of each cake to make one whole cake! lol

specialcakesbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcakesbymommy Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 11:11am
post #10 of 16

LOL! icon_lol.gif

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 16

Wow! You are so patient & persistent. I would have given up after cake # 2. I don't know if this helps,but I purchased a cake tester that has crystal in the end and turns red when the cake is completely done. It registers 195 degrees (F) to let you know that the cake is completely cooked. You may want to check it out. I live in Canada, but it can be purchased online.I purchase items from the U.S. that are not available here (I just got my Agbay slicer & am in love with it. It was expensive with the exchange,shipping etc, but what the heck. If you are going to do a good job, you need the best tools, right).

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 16

So how did it all work out for you ?

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 16

You know...everytime i have used the flower nail...my cakes havent baked right. They've overflowed, been raw in the middle. I have made and thrown away many 11x15 because of it. I to thought it was the oven had it checked out even bought one of those thermometers you put in. It was perfect. It was the flower nail. I forgot to put it in and the cake was perfect, and so pretty!

my2sunshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2sunshines Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 16

Your right, we should all have oven thermometers!!! I am going out to get one (I'll use any excuse to go to target) icon_smile.gif

dolfin Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #15 of 16

I am going to look into getting one of those thermometers. I had the gas co. out to check my oven and they said I had to do it myself. They were alot of help.

I decided to finish cake today, eggshells I took the best two cakes and put them together, the finished product is in my photos. Didn't come out half bad and tastes really good.

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm
post #16 of 16

Looks like the baloney cake is a winner idea! The picture looks great! Thanks for sharing the story!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%