Questions On Use Of Wafer Paper

Decorating By kathyg Updated 16 Jun 2005 , 3:41am by curiegas

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

I bought some wafer paper today and while looking at it, one side is textured and the other side is shiny. what side do you write on etc. thank you for any input icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:39am
post #2 of 6

You can write on either side. The textured side is great for things like wings and leaves. I prefer the textured side for most things just because it isn't so shiny.

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

thank you lisa for the input. I am trying to work on it now. Also, reading on one website it mentioned wetting the back with water or piping gel??? what do you do??? I'm thinking of purchasing the ip3000 with the programs etc. it was 209 that included all the programs plus wafer paper. What do you think??? thumbs_up.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:14am
post #4 of 6

It depends on how you're going to use it. When I made wafer paper leaves, I brushed them lightly with piping gel like the directions said. Left them for over a week and they never dried...just got sticky and even stuck to the rack I was drying them on. I'll never do that again. Piping gel can be used as a sort of glue though if you need it. I wouldn't wet wafer paper directly unless you need to form it or something.

I've tried printing on wafer paper and it always looked awful. I use frosting sheets instead which are better on cakes anyway cause they soak into the icing. Wafer paper is great with edible ink markers though. You can kind of use it like tracing paper because it's transparent.

**Please don't buy the Edible Imaging packages that are already put together for you. They are way overpriced. $209 is too much. You don't need any special programs that you can't get for free and wafer paper costs so little and produces really poor quality images. Buy your iP3000 printer separately(I've heard of others getting them new for $20-$30) and then buy your ink and frosting sheets from somewhere like

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 3:14am
post #5 of 6

I was taught that you work on the shiney side. I have used it with edible markers with good results icon_smile.gif

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 3:41am
post #6 of 6

There was a post a couple of days ago about the printer being on sale for $99 then getting $70 back, or something like that.


Quote by @%username% on %date%