Experience With Pastrychef.com

Decorating By justysmom Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

justysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justysmom Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 12

Although I have been reading and learning ALOT from everyone's tips, this is my first post as I am rather shy icon_redface.gif .

I was wondering if anybody has order from PastryChef.com and what their experiences have been. I recently ordered modeling chocolate (quite expensive!!!). When I received it the white chocolate had an expiration date of 2/11/07 and the chocolate 7/7/07. Since this is the end of June I was rather upset. I have called the company and left two messages, but have not received a response as of this writing. I will let you know the final outcome, but was just curious how responsive this company is.

Also, does anybody know how long modeling chocolate lasts?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Just heard back from them, and they told me the expiration date is actually a "best by" date. The date is also in a different format so 2/11/07 is actually November 2, 2007 They also said even though the best by date is approaching on one of the buckets, the chocolate is still good, and should last "forever". It is very stable and has a long shelf life.

And, to my surprise, they even credited back half my money for the bucket whose best by date is 7/7/07. They were very apologetic and helpful. So if anybody needs another supply source, I would recommend this site. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

11 replies
Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 12

Welcome to CC! This site has a wealth of knowledge and information as I'm sure you've seen.

I'm glad they got back in touch with you but I still can't help but to wonder about that explanation and their actions. I don't know if I'm reading too much into it (I'm not familiar with the site) or what but many questions are forming in my overthinking mind as I'm reading this. icon_lol.gif

1. I thought the expiration date and "best by date" (use by...)were basically the same thing? If they're not, what's the difference? Are they saying that it is best to use it by this date but you still can after it, it's just not as good? Who wouldn't want it while it was still at it's best?

2. If it all lasts forever, why have an expiration or best by date?

3. If it's supposed to be November 2, 2007, doesn't it normally say "2 Nov 07" so there's no confusion? (something tells me there are buckets that say 8/21/07 lol)

4. If they are going to refund you half for the one that hasn't expired yet, why aren't they refunding for the one that has? Fully?

5. What brand are the chocolates? Is it their own or is it a different company? Maybe you can get in contact with the other company (if it's not theirs) to find out the shelflife, etc. And why they have expiration dates on their products. icon_lol.gif

6. Do I ask too many questions? icon_razz.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 12

modeling chocolate does not 'spoil'. As long as it doesn't dry out, it is perfectly fine.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 12

I work in an accounting position. "Most" people/companies use month/day/year - but there are still a lot out there that use day/month/year. So their explanation that best by date is November 2 is probably valid.

aminton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminton Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 12

If the company that created the modeling chocolate is European or possibly even Canadian they usually use the day/month/year method. My husband is from the UK and it has taken ten years to get him to remember to write his dates in month/day/year format. Occasionally he still reverts to his old ways and it can be really confusing.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 12

Military uses Day/Month/Year format too - and it confuses the heck out of me.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 12

OK, all makes sense. I come from a military family so I thought of that but didn't think it applied here. Same with the european thing, that's why I asked about the company. It probably is from overseas.

If it is the other way around then it does explain the refund.

Sorry, whenever I get even the smallest inkling of someone being taken advantage of, I speak up. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 12

give the English teachers another 20 years or so of teaching MLA format and we'll have you all converted to military/European format.

and it is very easy to remember.

on the XX day of <month> in the year yyyy

----

and think of how often in casual conversation you say things like:

well, it was on the 12th of Dec.

or my b-day is on the 18th of may

we use day/month a lot already

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by justysmom

And, to my surprise, they even credited back half my money for the bucket whose best by date is 7/7/07. They were very apologetic and helpful. So if anybody needs another supply source, I would recommend this site. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I am so glad you had a positive experience with them because I have ordered from them for years and have never had a problem. I think their customer service is excellent as well as their products and shipping.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:45am
post #10 of 12

We use day/month/year here in Australia too - I think your way is too confusing icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:54am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by justysmom

I am so glad you had a positive experience with them because I have ordered from them for years and have never had a problem. I think their customer service is excellent as well as their products and shipping.

Good to hear....there are several things on their site that I want! I'll have to give them a shot!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 12

Quick question (I hope) regarding modeling chocolate. If you're using Merckens compound coating chocolate to make modeling chocolate is there a difference in how long it will last (as opposed to pre-made modeling choc)? Also, I assume the best way to store it is to wrap it a couple of times in plastic wrap and then in an airtight bag or container; is this correct?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%