Cr Cheese Under Fondant??

Decorating By Lippy Updated 19 Jun 2005 , 2:58am by SquirrellyCakes

Lippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lippy Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 15

I was asked to do a fondant cake, but she wants cream cheese frosting under the fondant?? Can this be done?? If so, does anyone know how it tastes? Or if anyone has any other suggestions for frostings under fondant, I would really like to hear them!!!

14 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 2:31am
post #2 of 15

Can you get it smooth? I never can and that would be a problem with fondant. Just a thought.

Lisa

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 3:33am
post #3 of 15

I'm not sure because I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking the cream cheese frosting might be too moist and the fondant would soak it up and get too soft. I just made a cake with mmf and put apricot glaze under it instead of bc, and it got softer and puckered up really bad...it was going to be my
Father's Day contest entry, but that sure didn't work out well! Janice

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 15

I have used all types of icing under my fondant. I havent had any probs yet. I am about to do a cr cheese one now tho since it was ,mentioned cuz I have to do a huge red velvet wedding cake soon and they want cream cheese under fondant..I gotta make sure!

Lippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lippy Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 15

What types of frosting work best under fondant?

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 15

I have used all varieties of premade store icings..all flavors. And butter cream and I havent tried the cream cheese yet...but am about to

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I'm not sure because I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking the cream cheese frosting might be too moist and the fondant would soak it up and get too soft. I just made a cake with mmf and put apricot glaze under it instead of bc, and it got softer and puckered up really bad...it was going to be my
Father's Day contest entry, but that sure didn't work out well! Janice

Always put the buttercream on top of the glaze for marshmallow fondant.
Part of the problem is that you roll out the marshmallow fondant much thinner than you would regular fondant. Regular rolled fondant is usually rolled to 1/4 inch thickness. Marshmallow fondant tends to soften up just from the buttercream icing along, it would be even worse with anything else under it, as you just found out, unfortunately.
Hugs Squirrely Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 15

Well, personaly I would stick to a regular old buttercream under fondant. Though I do use cream cheese frosting and keep it at room temperature for home use for 2-3 days, for outside business use, I refridgerate it to avoid any risks of liablity. Normally for a wedding cake, it would sit at the most overnight at a cool room temperature.
Most cream cheese frostings have a higher humidity content and though it likely could be done, personally I would use a regular buttercream under it and to get the cream cheese taste, use that for filling the cakes.
I can tell you that commercial bakeries here have to refridgerate cream cheese icings as part of the food safety regulations.
Just my opinion.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 15

You are so right, Squirrelly, I put in quite a few hours on that cake, and by the time I was through with it, it was beginning to look like a prune! If I don't decide to enter it anyway, I will at least post it in my gallery...just don't know yet! If I could come up with another idea for Father's Day I know Id do another one.

Yet another lesson learned the hard way. The worst part of it is I had fresh bc made and just thought the glaze would stick better and be smoother than if I put on the bc! Wrong!
From now on I will definitely do the bc, whether I have the glaze or not! Janice

SquirrellyCakes Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 15

The unthinned down basically strained heated apricot jam was traditionally used under marzipan or fondant, with buttercream becoming more popular under fondant these days.
Ouch, that must have hurt though, so much work for a pruney look. Hhmn, might start a trend! Probably tastes great though!
I guess that is how we all learn, through our mistakes or experiments or through other people's. Much nicer when it is other folk's though, haha!
I have been baking for 41 years and still have things that go wrong so don't feel alone. Heck just a week or so ago, instead of buying proper smaller cooling racks, I have terrible little ones but I have the nice sheet sized Wilton ones that are great for larger cakes. Well dummy here used them to flip a 5 inch round and the cake did a slip out the middle of the two racks onto the floor and slid across the room like a hockey puck, unfortunately, a dented hockey puck, got a nice ding in my cake pan from that little incident, haha! But it was pretty funny, because that is the first time I have seen a cake slide like that, the two cats came barreling in the room and were terrified of the flying puck cake. Holy puck!
Haha, after all that, it came out of the pan just fine, with a nice dent of course. So I cut off the top that had hit the ground, put some icing on it and we had it for dessert. Then I got to make another one, which still came out with a dent. Guess I need a new pan now!
I was on a roll last week, I tell you, I think the cake gremlins were visiting.
Hugs Squirrrelly Cakes

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 16 Jun 2005 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 15

SquirrellyCakes hit it right on the nose there about cream cheese frosting. my baking teacher always said that for decorated cakes it should only be used for filling. i've used both apricot glaze and buttercream for use under fondant, and i find i like buttercream better; i just find it makes the fondant layer less shifty, which i find cuts down on the tearing potential. thumbs_up.gif

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 15

What about whipped toppings? For those who don't want the sweetness of buttercream, could you use whiiped icing?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 1:57am
post #13 of 15

Do you mean under the fondant? What kind of whipped icing do you mean?
You could not use Dream Whip, Cool Whip or any kind of dairy based icing because they have to be refridgerated and would start to separate and get runny. They have too much moisture to be put underneath fondant.
I have never tried the boxed Whipped Icing product Wilton makes. However, from what I have heard, the longer it is made ahead of time, this product can develop cracking. So it wouldn't be a good thing to use with fondant.
The thing is there is nothing sweeter than fondant as it is mostly powdered sugar anyway. If you are going to remove it to serve the cake, well there is not much point in worrying about the sweetness of the icing underneath it.
I am wondering if you aren't just better off with the buttercream, since it is put on very sparingly anyway for a fondant covered cake. You could put a dollop of whipped cream on the cake when it is served or a fresh raspberry or strawberry fruit sauce drizzled on top.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 2:23am
post #14 of 15

Thanks, Squirrelly! I just know I have friends that cringe when I say buttercream and are more for "whipped" icings. I was just wondering. I have a bunch of recipes that use whipping cream as the base. I forgot about the refrigeration aspect. I try to stay away from fondant as much as possible, but was just curious if I could use something else under the fondant.

Kelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2005 , 2:58am
post #15 of 15

Haha, I know, a lot of people don't like buttercream icings. Europeans don't usually like it as it isn't part of their culture the way it is in Canada and the U.S. Haha, sort of like North Americans are about fondant. I guess it is true that we will eat what we are familar with.
A buttercream that only has a few tablespoons of cream or milk in it as the liquid is fine. A stabilized whipped cream or Cool Whip type is not. Mainly because these toppings break down, even when refridgerated - they have a shorter life. But because a cake will have to be out at room temperature while you cover it with fondant, that adds an issue along with the fact that fondant isn't fond of refridgeration.
Mainly, buttercream is really the glue to hold the fondant on the cake. The nature of buttercream makes it a good glue and the moisture content is also good. Plus the fact it doesn't separate, it stays the same. So you won't have issues with it breaking down while it is underneath the fondant.
I also find in recent years, there is a certain snobbery when it comes to icings and such. The meringue type icings and ganaches and butter/chocolate/whipped cream icings have been around forever. But recently, it is in vogue to like these icings. Almost faddish to snub buttercream in favour of what people feel are more sophisticated tastes. In part, it is a good thing, because people are experimenting more with tastes and ideas from around the world and they are broadening their tastes.
Haha, sometimes I find it a bit amusing, I must admit. A lot of brides order fondant covered cakes because they are in vogue, yet they have the fondant peeled off the cake because they think it is yucky. So they pay a good deal more for something that has the look that is fashionable, but they won't eat it. And actually, it horrifies a lot of people that they would even think to peel off the fondant. Haha, I don't know which is worse removing it so you have only a messy looking thin coating of buttercream or leaving it on and having guests peel it off and leave it on their plates. Personally, I eat it and have gotten used to it. Must be because I am old-fashioned and eat what is on my plate whenever I am a guest.
I guess I believe that taste is more important than looks and than fads. So I would rather go with something I know folks will like to eat than go with something fashionable. Haha, even if that means going with Rice Krispie Squares, I would go for it.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%