Question About Buttercream Trasfer

Decorating By USMC_SGTs_Lady Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm by mqguffey

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 6

i wanted to make a frozen buttercream transfer for a cake i'm making tomorrow night. I had a few questions about doing one though....
what consistancy does the BC have to be?...i would assume thin, but don't know.
When you put it on the cake (this may souns silly) do i put it directly on the cake w/o frosting, or frost the cake and then put the transfer on?
Also after the frozen BC trasfer "thaws" out, does it get soft from the BC frosting thats frosted on the cake, or do the colors bleed?
Finally, when it comes time to cut the cake, can you cut through the BC transfer, or do you have to take it off the cake?
i read the instructions here on CC, but I am making one of these for the first time...want to do it right cause its going on a cake that my fiancee is taking to work

5 replies
lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 6

I found that I had better luck when the icing was on the stiffer side. I frosted the cake and then put the transfer on top of that. You have to be quick about putting it on so it doesn't thaw too much. You won't be able to take it off once you put it on because it will soften to the consistency of the rest of the buttercream. I hope this helps to answer your questions.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 6

I like to use a soft medium when doing my transfers. When I have had too thin if icng I have problems with it sticking.

Some people will make their transfers the same size as their cakes so that they can just flip it all over on top of the cake. If you are doing this I would either lightly ice the top of the cake or make sure my transfer was pretty thick. If you do this the transfer will be flat with cake and not stick up a little.

Once this comes out of the frezer and thaws it is like any other decoration on your cake. It will be soft enough to cut through, you won't be able to remove it from the cake. And it will crust like the rest of your decorations.

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=441

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 6

ok one more quick question....sorry
how long can i keep the BC transfer in the freezer?....Like say i make the BC transfer tonight and want to put it on the cake sunday night, to serve monday, will it be ok...I would assume it would but, just want to make sure....

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 6

I have left them in the freezer for a week or more.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 6

You can definitely keep it in the freezer, in fact the more solidly frozen the better. You could cover it w/some plastic wrap or put the whole thing in a big ziploc bag if you're worried about freezer burn.

When you're ready to put it on the cake, you have to move FAST. Seriously. Pull it from the freezer, turn it over on the cake and pull the wax paper off RIGHT AWAY. When I do that, the wax paper pulls off without a snag. If I wait even 10 seconds, it starts to stick and I end up having to put the whole thing, cake and all, back in the freezer.

And once you get it on the cake, try not to move the cake for a little while, say 15-30 minutes. I had one that I rushed into the car and the FBCT hadn't had time to thaw into the buttercream below and it slid a couple inches off center. Fortunately, it didn't slide completely off the cake!

Good luck, you are going to be amazed at how well this works. It turns you into an artist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%