Wedding Cake Recipe Suggestions?

Decorating By EverlastingSweets Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 3:01am by miriel

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all! I'm doing a wedding cake for my neighbor, and it's my first.
I wanted to use the White Almond Sour cream, but it says to use 8 egg whites, is this is addition to the ones asked for on the cake mix box?

Has anyone used this recipe, or can you recommend another recipe?
Thank you all!

9 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 10

I made this once and used only the items listed in the recipe (did NOT add anything listed on the cake box). It turned out great - but if I did it wrong and was supposed to add the other items the results did not indicate this.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 10

You use only the 8 egg whites.

Julie

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 10

I forgot to say that I made this cake only once; it was wonderful!

Julie

jackiepf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackiepf Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

It just so happens I am making a wedding cake for this coming Saturday, and I am using that recipe. It is a great recipe, but I am substituting for 2/3c water, I am using the Chocolate Raspberry Creamor. It gives it a great taste. And you use just what the recipe calls for. You don't make the cakes according to package. Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverlastingSweets

I wanted to use the White Almond Sour cream, but it says to use 8 egg whites, is this is addition to the ones asked for on the cake mix box?

I just tried this recipe and it turned out yummy, but next time Im going to add a little more almond flavor (I love being able to smell the almond when I lift it to my mouth).

PS: Follow the White Almond Sour Cream recipe and ignore whats on the box.

EverlastingSweets Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 10

what great responses! Thank you all! If I use whole eggs instead of white, does that affect anything besides making the cake mix a little bit yellow?
icon_biggrin.gif

EverlastingSweets Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 10

bump

laurafromtx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurafromtx Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 2:39am
post #9 of 10

You would use less whole eggs...I remember a chef instructor of mine once said large whole eggs are roughly 1 2/3 oz each, the white is 1 oz, the yolk is 2/3 oz. So you would use 5 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites if I'm doing my math correctly.

Egg yolks contain fat where egg whites don't, but I don't think I'd try to compensate for that by taking out any butter or sour cream. I'd just use the 5 eggs and call it good.

HTH

Laura

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:01am
post #10 of 10

I use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites, as per the lemon cake version from this link: http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%