Wasc Variations?

Decorating By lanesmom Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm by dabear

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 9

I love the texture of the WASC but I am wanting to do it in chocolate. How many eggs would I use in place of the egg whites and would there need to be any other changes made? Thanks!

8 replies
dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 9

For chocolate cake use chocolate cake mixes. Use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites. I would add some more chocolate. I made it using devils food mixes and I didn't think it was chocolatey enough. Maybe you could add 2 boxes of instant pudding (chocolate).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 9

I use this recipe: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-0-Cake-Mix-extender.html

It is almost the same thing as the WASC. It uses one cake mix instead of two, and had less salt and no almond (but you can always add it).

For chocolate cake I go ahead and add about a 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to it. It is yummy!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 9

I would also add a tablespoon or so of coffee to bring out more chocolate flavor.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9

I halved it, used 3 whole eggs and subbed 1/3C of cocoa for part of the flour. I also used vanilla flavoring instead of the almond. It was delicious! Not too sweet, but definitely chocolatey!

HTH

Jen

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabear

For chocolate cake use chocolate cake mixes. Use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites. I would add some more chocolate. I made it using devils food mixes and I didn't think it was chocolatey enough. Maybe you could add 2 boxes of instant pudding (chocolate).

I was just about to try the chocolate version of the WASC! Since I'm new to this "doctoring", would you please explain the addition of pudding mixes? Do I have to modify the recipe at all by changing the amounts of water, oil, etc. or do I just add some pudding mix in with the regular ingredients? icon_confused.gif Thanks in advance for any advice.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:53am
post #7 of 9

I personally wouldn't add any pudding to the WASC cake, as the excess sugar could cause your cake layers to sink upon cooling.

Here's an expanded flavors WASC cake recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

Here's a thread that explains the science of cake making & baking:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-370213-.html

HTH

SweetObsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetObsession Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:57am
post #8 of 9

Thank you Jan! I've already learned so much from CC members.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 9

Oh yeah for chocolate, I wouldn't add the almond flavor.

SweetObession- I tried 2 boxes of pudding for the wasc recipe and it turned out ok. I did not change anything else. It didn't sink either. I just added it to my dry ingredients. But now that I read the extra sugar will sink, it-it will happen next time! Thanks JanH! LOL! icon_lol.gif I swear every time I read about cake problems, I have it happen on my next cake! Am I a cake hypochondriat??? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%