Square Wedding Cake Base, Suggestions Please

Decorating By wendysue Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm by melysa

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a cake for some friends in a couple of weeks and told them I'd construct a base for their cake. They aren't looking for anything to fancy/expensive, just something that looks nice.

We have 3/4" foam core that I'll likely double and wrap in something, but wonder if anyone has any ideas before I get started. What do most of you who make a lot of wedding cakes use as a cake board? The bride doesn't want a silver board, like you see at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, we're looking to do something in champagne instead.

So, my idea is to cover the board in fabric and then wrap with contact paper. Is this too cheesy for a wedding cake? Is there a more sensible way to create something that will look good?

Wendy

11 replies
kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 12

You can cover it in fondant in a complimentary color. Just cover it a few days ahead of time so that the board has time to dry.

Good luck

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 12

I would cover the board in fondant and do the same design on the board as the cake if possible.

wendysue Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:39am
post #4 of 12

Will the fondant absorb the moisture from the cake sitting on top of it and turn funny? I know a lot of you cover the boards in fondant, but I've never tried this, so not completely comfortable.

Also, what if it cracks on me when I'm transporting or assembling? Does that happen often?

Wendy

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 3:45am
post #5 of 12

I used glass blocks for my last cake, see my photos, it turned out great, you could use a champagne ribbon around the middle. they cost like 3$ each at Lowes.

There is a slight lip, but I used foam tape to take up the gap which helped hold the cake board down anyway but they were way sticky and i had to reposition the cake and it was hard to pull up but not a big deal.

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:26am
post #6 of 12

when I covered the board with fondant, I only cover the top of the board. Usually I put some type of ribbon around the board, this will keep you from having to worry about the fondant cracking. As for it possibly changing color or consistency, I haven't had a problem. Like I said before, make sure you cover the board with fondant a few days in advance. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 4:37am
post #7 of 12

when i have covered my boards in fondant, i allow them to dry a day or two in advance. as i am icing/covering my cakes in fondant, they are each on their own boards. so in between the fondant base board and the bottom tier of cake, there is a layer of cardboard to separate it. i "glue it down with icing or royal icing, and then assemble as usual with all the tiers. then i drive a long dowel through all of them into the bottom board to hold them from shifting. the bottom fondant is fine that way, it will not become soggy as it doesnt touch the cake. that way too, you are not having to worry about messing up your board covered in fondant as you are icing /covering your bottom tier of cake.

when you cover the base, trim the edge with a sharp unserrated knife. dont forget to brush the foam core with a SMALL amount of water before setting the fondant on top so that it will stick when it dries.

i also put ribbon around the sides with a glue stick.

wendysue Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:14am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone. You've given me some great ideas. I'll chat with my friend and see what she wants to do! I like the fondant idea now that I understand how it's done. icon_wink.gif

Wendy

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:22am
post #9 of 12

How about an inexpensive framed mirror? Here is one I have used and I got it for dirt cheap at Old Tyme Pottery!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43889

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=160453

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:26am
post #10 of 12

Another idea is to cover the board with royal icing in the color of your choice. Just color the icing and thin it out a bit so that it spreads smoothly onto the board. princess.gif

puncess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puncess Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:41am
post #11 of 12

I have the same situation to address for a wedding coming up in August. My plan was to do exactly what MommyEdzards shows in her pics, except I was going to add some "feet" to make it easier to pick up. Thanks MommyEdzards for the pics. I am definitely going with this idea!
I have been looking at inexpensive framed mirrors or even a framed picture (I would take out the pic and possible add a neutral paper) to use as my base .

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 12

another idea....

i have used clean new square tiles from home depot. wash well and glue a ribbon around the sides. you can go rustic with slate or formal with marble etc.... to remedy the issue of how to pick it up, i glue a square of cardboard underneath just a couple of inches smaller and its just enough room to slide your fingers under to pick it up, but not enough to cause it to tilt or even be visible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%