Butter Cake From Scratch

Baking By cupcakequeen Updated 4 Jul 2005 , 6:21pm by MariaLovesCakes

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

I've tried several different recipes, but can't find one that turns out well. Everytime I bake it, it comes out with that crusty top (like fried butter, lol). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what goes wrong or if anyone has alternative butter cake recipes and doesn't mind sharing, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks all.

4 replies
montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 3:01am
post #2 of 5

I don't ahve any suggestions on recipes but are you baking at 325 deg instead of 350? And another possible suggestion is try putting a shallow pan of water at bottom of oven while baking, not only will your cake come out flatter (no big bulge at top) but they seem to be a little moister w/ the humidity. I would think that once you have the cake frosted it will stay pretty fresh. I hope someone w/ more experience will have some more suggestions.
Kate

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5

I don't know what could be causing your cake to do that, but I wanted to suggest the Butter Cake recipe on the Wilton site. That one always gets good reviews for me. It's one my friend recommended to me and all her clients rave over it.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 15 Jun 2005 , 5:37am
post #4 of 5

Thanks! Yes, I always bake at 325 deg. I will try the Wilton Butter Cake as well as the shallow pan of water. thanks!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakequeen

Thanks! Yes, I always bake at 325 deg. I will try the Wilton Butter Cake as well as the shallow pan of water. thanks!

My oven is a little tricky so I have to bake at 350... Unless it is sponge cake ...

If you want to try mine, let me know. I make a soaking syrup that I brush onto the cake to make it more moist...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%